Homepage Garage Wiki Register Social Groups Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > CAMARO6.com General Forums > 2016+ Camaro: 6th Gen Camaro general forum

BeckyD @ James Martin Chevy

Old 12-11-2017, 09:11 AM   #15
sykb47l

Drives: 73' VW Bug
They pulled the heads and put it back together?
Old 12-11-2017, 09:14 AM   #16
ChevyCav

Drives: 2017 Camaro SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by sykb47l View Post
They pulled the heads and put it back together?
Not %100 sure I just asked if anything else was damaged they claim no but idk if I can definitely trust it, just based off of horror stories from other people. I just want to take the proper precautions. I haven't gotten the car back yet as this happened over the weekend
ChevyCav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2017, 09:21 AM   #17
JFM-jr

Drives: 2016 Camaro 2SS
On a cylinder with a broken lifter id sure think the pushrod would be suspect as well.
ARH 1 7/8 longtubes hi flow cats AFM deleted E85
11.0@124.9
11.65@118.8 pump gas,stock tune/exhaust
New combo: Pray Performance Heads/cam
MSD intake manifold and Circle D 3C
554/491 on E85 all work & tuning done by Pray
JFM-jr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2017, 09:27 AM   #18
ChevyCav

Quote:
Originally Posted by JFM-jr View Post
On a cylinder with a broken lifter id sure think the pushrod would be suspect as well.
Agreed, but to my knowledge it's just the lifter for now. Pretty frustrating
Old 12-11-2017, 09:51 AM   #19
BrianL

Drives: 2016 2SS, Red Hot, NPP, Nav, M6
Quote:
Originally Posted by JFM-jr View Post
This. Have them pull both heads. I would be tempted to replace all the lifters and inspect each and every pushrod.
BrianL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2017, 10:28 AM   #20
sykb47l

Drives: 73' VW Bug
I think its suspect that they pulled the heads, put it back together without fixing it and you can just go and drive it away from the shop.

That in itself is the entire labor amount for the repair.
Old 12-11-2017, 10:32 AM   #21
ChevyCav

Quote:
Originally Posted by sykb47l View Post
I think its suspect that they pulled the heads, put it back together without fixing it and you can just go and drive it away from the shop.

That in itself is the entire labor amount for the repair.
What? Who said they weren't fixing the broken lifter on #3? And it isn't repaired yet to my knowledge I have to call later tlday
Old 12-11-2017, 12:51 PM   #22
ChevyCav

Update: waiting on a part from GM the fuel line since they had to remove it and it isn't reuseable supposedly. However that part is on backorder also supposedly....anyways I asked if there was any valve damage he said they didn't take off the head just used a camera to inspect it and didn't see anything out of the ordinary, he also said if I smacked a valve I would've known right away. So as of right now just lifter and fuel line.
Old 12-11-2017, 10:13 PM   #23
ChevyCav

So I looked on the OEM specs and have no idea what part they are talking about...ugh I just want my car back!
Old 12-12-2017, 10:07 AM   #24
Chevy Runs Deep

Drives: 2015 BLK 1SS LS3 M6 NPP
I was under the impression that valve springs can be weakened significantly from an overrev. I would replace those as well as lifters and push rods.
Chevy Runs Deep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2017, 10:50 AM   #25
ChevyCav

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chevy Runs Deep View Post
I was under the impression that valve springs can be weakened significantly from an overrev. I would replace those as well as lifters and push rods.
You think so? Even if no damage was done to the springs physically? This is so frustrating and annoying. Is lifter, push rods and spring replacement difficult?

Edit: Just ordered a valve spring pressure tester, playing no games here.

Last edited by ChevyCav; 12-12-2017 at 11:19 AM.
Old 12-12-2017, 11:38 AM   #26
Raven87
C'mon- really?

Drives: Looking for a ZL1
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChevyCav View Post
Update: waiting on a part from GM the fuel line since they had to remove it and it isn't reuseable supposedly. However that part is on backorder also supposedly....anyways I asked if there was any valve damage he said they didn't take off the head just used a camera to inspect it and didn't see anything out of the ordinary, he also said if I smacked a valve I would've known right away. So as of right now just lifter and fuel line.
Don't they have to take off the head to replace the lifter? And did they 'camera inspect' all the lifters?

Hmmm... maybe it's just me but I am very suspect whether they really did enough of a diagnosis. If you damaged one lifter, you may have at the least weakened other components of the valve train.

It's your car of course but if it were my car, I would ask for them to pull both heads, inspect the valves and all the lifters and push rods as well as the rockers and valve springs. Better safe than sorry because if anything was weakened, it will cost you a bunch more down the road.

Good luck.
2018 Camaro 2SS 1LE Black #3805 - SOLD
Raven87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2017, 11:53 AM   #27
ChevyCav

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raven87 View Post
Don't they have to take off the head to replace the lifter? And did they 'camera inspect' all the lifters?

Hmmm... maybe it's just me but I am very suspect whether they really did enough of a diagnosis. If you damaged one lifter, you may have at the least weakened other components of the valve train.

It's your car of course but if it were my car, I would ask for them to pull both heads, inspect the valves and all the lifters and push rods as well as the rockers and valve springs. Better safe than sorry because if anything was weakened, it will cost you a bunch more down the road.

Good luck.
I'm not sure if they need to take of the head or not to replace the lifters from the way he made it sound I don't think so, I also saw some videos on YouTube of someone using a magnet to retrieve them but idk if it's the same w/ this type of engine. I think he just meant he used the camera to inspect the valves in the cylinder. And yeah once I get it back I plan on doing some of my own kind of diagnostics just for peace of mind if something is out of the ordinary I'll just send it out to a machine shop to replace the entire valve train. Like I said before it ran pretty well other than the misfire that I didn't notice right away, it started up right away and still had that power. The misfire code didn't occur until after I got home. I also drove it to the mechanic and it felt for the most part normal like I said just little bit extra vibration and a rattley idle.
Old 12-12-2017, 12:01 PM   #28
Raven87
C'mon- really?

Drives: Looking for a ZL1
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChevyCav View Post
I'm not sure if they need to take of the head or not to replace the lifters from the way he made it sound I don't think so, I also saw some videos on YouTube of someone using a magnet to retrieve them but idk if it's the same w/ this type of engine. I think he just meant he used the camera to inspect the valves in the cylinder. And yeah once I get it back I plan on doing some of my own kind of diagnostics just for peace of mind if something is out of the ordinary I'll just send it out to a machine shop to replace the entire valve train. Like I said before it ran pretty well other than the misfire that I didn't notice right away, it started up right away and still had that power. The misfire code didn't occur until after I got home. I also drove it to the mechanic and it felt for the most part normal like I said just little bit extra vibration and a rattley idle.
Unless there is some magic involved for the new LT1, I cannot imagine some way to remove and replace a lifter without removing the head. The lifter rides on the cam and the pushrod sits on the lifter which is much larger in diameter than the push rod. The Push rod goes through the head in a very small opening (smaller than the lifter) to operate the Rocker arm and in turn open the valve per the cam lobe.

I am not aware of a way to pull a lifter out through the head on an OHV motor but maybe I'm wrong.
2018 Camaro 2SS 1LE Black #3805 - SOLD
Raven87 is offline   Reply With Quote