Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > CAMARO6.com General Forums > 2016+ Camaro: 6th Gen Camaro general forum

AWE Tuning

Old 09-10-2020, 12:07 PM   #29
ember1205
Hot Camaro

Drives: '20 2SS Convertible 6MT
Quote:
Originally Posted by Petrol Head View Post
A lot of people love the 1SS or now the LT1 for their lack of features while still giving you SS performance.

But you'll never regret getting a 2SS simply for dual zone climate control if you have a significant other who insists that the world is eternally zero Kelvin, or -460 degrees Fahrenheit - the scientific measurement of absolute zero.
2SS-specific features that I like having: Dual Zone Automatic Climate Control, Leather Seats, Memory Positions for seats/mirrors, and HUD

In 2019, Chevy removed the integrated Homelink from the 2SS and replaced it with a camera-driven rear view mirror option. I personally will never use the camera feature for rear view and wish they had kept the Homelink option. I came up with a location to install my GDO remote, though, that's completely hidden but 100% easy access.
ember1205 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2020, 12:11 PM   #30
ember1205
Hot Camaro

Quote:
Originally Posted by Umbriel View Post
This sounds completely normal to me, starting the car is going to have a huge drain on the battery versus running electrical things on it. My car acts just like yours and I hardly ever see it running 14 volts and everything is fine, when it senses it needs a charge on the battery it will turn the alternator on.
Not sure if you're over-simplifying here, but that's not how it works. If the car is running, the alternator is providing power. Once the battery reaches a full charge, any power being diverted to the battery for the purposes of charging should be significantly reduced when the charging circuit enters a 'maintain mode' to keep the charge topped off.

The alternator is never 'off' as this would mean that the battery would be responsible for providing power to allow the car to run.

And, since the alternator is never in an off state, the output voltage off idle should always be in the same small range unless there's a problem. At idle, the voltage will naturally drop down because of the reduced rotational speed of the alternator.
Old 09-10-2020, 05:21 PM   #31
Lafourche1

Drives: 2019 CLA 450 Mercedes
I haven't read all of the thread, but I'll offer up a couple of points. The TR6060 manual transmission is butter smooth. The rev match feature makes everyone Jackie Stewart. The 2SS package is well worth the money (IMHO). You get a lot of features and additional comfort. I would tell you look for the dual mode (NPP) exhaust and the magnetic ride suspension. These are additional to the 2SS package, but make the car more complete (IMHO).

Canada? Isn't that north of the North Pole (J/K)? Good luck.
Lafourche1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2020, 05:34 PM   #32
Umbriel

Drives: 2016 Camaro SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by ember1205 View Post
Not sure if you're over-simplifying here, but that's not how it works. If the car is running, the alternator is providing power. Once the battery reaches a full charge, any power being diverted to the battery for the purposes of charging should be significantly reduced when the charging circuit enters a 'maintain mode' to keep the charge topped off.

The alternator is never 'off' as this would mean that the battery would be responsible for providing power to allow the car to run.

And, since the alternator is never in an off state, the output voltage off idle should always be in the same small range unless there's a problem. At idle, the voltage will naturally drop down because of the reduced rotational speed of the alternator.
Yes I was over simplifying it, by "off" I didn't mean completely off just not charging in the typical 14+ volt range. His car sounds completely normal to me.

Sent from my SM-N986U using Tapatalk
Umbriel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2020, 09:05 PM   #33
Pupilbone

Drives: 2019 Crush ZL1 M6
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucio_101 View Post
I'm mainly looking at 2016-2018's (mainly for preference on the styling). But maybe if the right deal came up with a 2019+, I would consider that.

And most likely a 2SS (I'm a fan of leather interior and a few more creature comforts). I could leave the sunroof though (I'm coming from a convertible) and I don't want the complications that come with it. But if the sunroof is part of the 2SS, I'll get over it.

It would be nice to find a 1LE (but so far, my search has been futile in finding one where I am located). But even one with some of the factory performance bits would be nice.
I’m on my second Gen 6 Camaro. These cars are gems, you really need to drive one with either the LT1 or the LT4, do this and you’re gonna be in.

Like someone already said, I travel a lot, and therefore rent a lot (at least pre COVID I did). A result of 75 - 80 flights a year is me driving Mustangs, Challengers, BMW’s, etc - and all relatively new. Of all those experiences I will say this: for the money you’re making the right choice. I’m on my second one of these cars because I could compare before I ever bought a Gen6. They really do provide the best combo of raw (albeit old school), power with handling that competes with cars that are twice the price.

I do have a question though. I’ve never owned a “fun car” without a sunroof. Spanning from the 80’s to now I’ve never had a problem, not with a single sunroof. What complications are you referring to above?

Wait... I might get it now. You’re referring to issues with your Convertible
Old 09-10-2020, 09:33 PM   #34
Frankie18SS

Drives: 18 Camaro 2SS, 07 Saturn Ion
I agree with everyone else here, these cars are amazing. Please take one for a spin and come back here to let us know your impression. I only have a couple things to add that I don't think were covered.

I agree with the sunroof thing. I've always had sunroofs but I rarely used them. I ordered my SS without one mainly because the exterior roof is different depending whether you have one or not. With a sunroof, it's a flat roof. Without a sunroof, the cars have a "reverse mohawk" roof. IMO, it just looks way better.

My ONLY disappointment with the car was the amount of brake dust the OEM pads create. I honestly can't imagine how that was deemed acceptable from GM. This forum is filled with people that agree it's excessive but the good news is a large percentage of us swapped the stock pads to pads made by Powerstop which aren't expensive and pretty much solves the issue.

The manual shifter is slick and the clutch is shocking smooth for a dual clutch. Take one out, you'll be happy you did.
Old 09-11-2020, 01:01 AM   #35
2SS Capt
2020 Shadow Gray 2SS

Drives: 2020 2SS - A10, NPP, MRC, CAI
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frankie18SS View Post
I agree with the sunroof thing. I've always had sunroofs but I rarely used them. I ordered my SS without one mainly because the exterior roof is different depending whether you have one or not. With a sunroof, it's a flat roof. Without a sunroof, the cars have a "reverse mohawk" roof. IMO, it just looks way better.

My ONLY disappointment with the car was the amount of brake dust the OEM pads create. I honestly can't imagine how that was deemed acceptable from GM. This forum is filled with people that agree it's excessive but the good news is a large percentage of us swapped the stock pads to pads made by Powerstop which aren't expensive and pretty much solves the issue.
I agree on both accounts, I'm not a huge sunroof fan but the totally flat roof with the sunroof was a complete deal killer for me, I really LOVE to roof lines of the non-sunroof Camaro roof (could I say "roof" a few more times?!?!?!?)

I agree on the brake dust as well, it was absolutely horrific... I don't track my car so at 400 miles on the meter it got PowerStop Z26 pads all the way around which decreased brake dust by about 90-95%...
Added after delivery: - GMP CAI, GMP Black Strut Tower Brace, MRR017 1LE Wheels, SS Armrest, Black Fuel Door, Stainless Sport Pedals, SS Wheel Caps, Black Lugs/Locks, GM Splash Guards, DD Smoked LED Markers, Smoked Rear Reflectors, Mishimoto Catch Can, Xpel PPF - Full Front, SunTek 35% Tint, CeramicPro coating, RST Stainless Brake Lines, Castrol SRF, MSD Super Conductor Wires

Left: My "fun" ride. Right: My "work" ride: a Gulfstream G600. One's top speed is 180 Mph, the other, 620 Mph...
2SS Capt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2020, 05:13 AM   #36
Frankie18SS

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2SS Capt View Post
could I say "roof" a few more times?!?!?!?
LMAO!! I had the same thought when I was typing my post!
Old 09-11-2020, 07:00 AM   #37
Fraxum

Drives: a M6 LT1 ordered From Becky!!!
Send a message via AIM to Fraxum
I am on my 3rd CA6 Camaro. All had sunroofs as to me opening up the roof removes some of the cramped feeling of the Camaro interior. I rarely turn on the AC. Windows down, roof open, and good tunes makes for a fun ride in my book.

The mohawk looks cooler, but for me it's function over form.
Old 09-11-2020, 07:30 AM   #38
ember1205
Hot Camaro

Quote:

The manual shifter is slick and the clutch is shocking smooth for a dual clutch. Take one out, you'll be happy you did.
I'm guessing that, if you did a formal and accurate survey, you would find the exact opposite to be true. While I don't dispute that a reasonable number of people made a brake pad swap, I would imagine it's more like 5-10% of the members here, max. There are over 40,000 members to account for here, although I know that is comprised of owners of a number of different cars (Gen6, Gen5, Corvettes, etc.).
Old 09-11-2020, 07:39 AM   #39
zaimer

Drives: 23 ZL1 6speed
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pupilbone View Post
I’m on my second Gen 6 Camaro. These cars are gems, you really need to drive one with either the LT1 or the LT4, do this and you’re gonna be in.

Like someone already said, I travel a lot, and therefore rent a lot (at least pre COVID I did). A result of 75 - 80 flights a year is me driving Mustangs, Challengers, BMW’s, etc - and all relatively new. Of all those experiences I will say this: for the money you’re making the right choice. I’m on my second one of these cars because I could compare before I ever bought a Gen6. They really do provide the best combo of raw (albeit old school), power with handling that competes with cars that are twice the price.

I do have a question though. I’ve never owned a “fun car” without a sunroof. Spanning from the 80’s to now I’ve never had a problem, not with a single sunroof. What complications are you referring to above?

Wait... I might get it now. You’re referring to issues with your Convertible

I would agree with this. I've driven more rental vehicles that I care to admit. The Hertz Z06's were some of the best (performance) rental vehicles that I've had. If I were to spec a Z06 myself, it would be nearly identical.

The Mustang's in particular were not what I had expected. The 5.0 do sound nice from the factory and they are fairly comfortable to drive. They just don't feel athletic enough for me to purchase. I'm not sure that I would feel confident going quickly through corners, etc.; the handling feels a little dull. In term of practicality and being day-to-day friendly, I would vote Mustang as having the upper hand on the Camaro. In almost every other category, I think Camaro wins.
zaimer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2020, 10:07 AM   #40
arpad_m

Drives: 2018 Camaro 2SS A8
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2SS Capt View Post
I agree on both accounts, I'm not a huge sunroof fan but the totally flat roof with the sunroof was a complete deal killer for me, I really LOVE to roof lines of the non-sunroof Camaro roof (could I say "roof" a few more times?!?!?!?)
Quote:
Quote:
LMAO!! I had the same thought when I was typing my post!
Next time spice it up guys, use "sunrooves" instead of "sunroofs"

As to brake pad dusting, I had my factory wheels ceramic coated and that makes cleaning them a breeze. I for one don't mind the dust, wheel cleaning is a therapy and the OEM Ferodo pads are strong and confidence inspiring. Don't think the majority of users switched to PowerStop pads either, it's just that those users are very vocal about it.

Magnuson TVS 2300 80mm pulley | Kooks 1 7/8" LT headers | JRE smooth idle terminator cam | LT4 FS & injectors | TSP forged pistons & rods
JMS PowerMAX | DSX flex fuel kit | Roto-Fab CAI | Soler 95mm LT5 TB | 1LE wheels | 1LE brakes | BMR rear cradle lockout | JRE custom tune

1100 - 1/30/18 | 2000 - 1/31/18
3000 - 2/06/18 TPW 2/26/18
3400 - 2/19/18 | 3800 - 2/26/18
4300 - 2/27/18 | 4B00 - 3/01/18
4200 - 3/05/18 | 4800 - 3/14/18
5000 - 3/16/18 | 6000 - 3/19/18
arpad_m is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2020, 10:59 AM   #41
ember1205
Hot Camaro

Quote:
Originally Posted by arpad_m View Post
Sunrooves! Epic!
Old 09-11-2020, 11:13 AM   #42
Frankie18SS

Quote:
Originally Posted by arpad_m View Post
Nice!! I'll do that next time to keep it interesting! Lol

I just meant that there are a significant number of people on here that did the swap...it wasn't only like 2 or 3 people.

Tags
camaro, experience, issues, ownership