Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

dave@hennessey
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Camaro V6 LFX Engine, Exhaust, and Bolt-Ons

Old 05-09-2018, 12:00 PM   #1
csdilligaf

Drives: 2012
Does anyone have a blueprint for a LFX bellhousing?

I am doing a build with an LFX engine in a mid engine chassis with a Porsche gearbox and have been googling for 2 days. Worse case scenario is I fork lift the engine up on a large CMM and get the numbers that way but it is a little more work than I want. Next idea was to buy an bell housing and use the CMM on that but then I have a bell housing that I don't need. Anyone on in San Diego with a bell housing?
Does anyone out there have any info on the HFV6 bolt pattern?

thanks
Chip Smith
csdilligaf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2018, 05:19 PM   #2
csdilligaf

There must be someone out there with a lead as too where I can find it?
Old 05-14-2018, 05:51 PM   #3
The camaro show

Drives: 2015 camaro 2lt
I’d say your best bet is one of the twin turbo lfx guys
Cosmetic mods: SS hood with painted vent, SS bumper, acs 1le front lip black, big worm gfx tinted all lights, solar wing v2, Camaro seat belt pads and oracle color shift halos and fog light halos and rear colorshift bow tie, carbon creations carbon fiber stingray z spoiler
Wheels: lexani r-3 bg finish 19x8.5
Performance: cold air inductions intake, mrt v1, jacfab ported intake manifold, intake manifold spacer, overkill tuned on E85.
The camaro show is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2018, 04:33 PM   #4
DSX_Camaro

Drives: 2013 SW 2LT/RS LFX/AY6
Is there a reason you're going with a Porsche gearbox? You might be able to take the bellhousing for an ATS-V (twin turbo V6, LF4) and mate it to a TR-6060 transmission (or transaxle, Corvette application) which would be bulletproof. Now, if it's because you already have the gearbox and it's a DCT or something, that's another thing. This suggestion was simply because it's my goal within the next year or two to try.

Beyond that though. No one has tried to mate the LFX to anything other than stock options yet (AY6 manual or 6L50 auto) so I doubt you'll find any information on the bellhousing itself, because no one has needed it.
K&N CAI, 1LE Strut Tower Brace, Elite Engineering Catch Can and Clean Side Separator, Apex Scoop w/ Washer Relocation Kit, CTS Front Calipers and Rotors, JacFab Ported Intake Manifold, JacFab Intake Manifold Spacer, 80mm Overkill Throttle Body, SS Brake Lines, Ideal Garage Master Cylinder, Monster Twin Disc Clutch, NPP Retrofit w/ Magnaflow Resonated X, ARH Catless Downpipes, JRE Built 3.45 Diff, 1LE Axles, 1LE Hubs, Overkill Tuned, BMR Anti Wheel-hop Kit Stage I, ACS TL1 Hood Insert, ZL1 Spoiler
DSX_Camaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2018, 05:42 PM   #5
bowtieracer

Drives: 2012 rs camaro
Chip you can order a bell housing from Chevrolet they are not that expensive but you have to machine the inside of the bell housing due to it being part of the front pump assm I have made a adapter to mate a 4l60 to the lfx block took a little time but it works perfect you will have to make a adapter to mate the trans to bell housing that you are using but it can be done
bowtieracer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2018, 07:21 AM   #6
csdilligaf

I did find the bell housing online that is cheap enough to buy so looks like I will order that and use it just to get the dimensions I need. It would be hard to get the engine on the CMM and get them from that or I would. The reason I am using a Porsche 996 trans mounted up side down it for a mid engine car with a 91" wheel base you need the axle about 8" from the bellhousing face. The Corvette put is way to far back. The LFX/996 trans is just perfect for what I want. It makes good power and revs pretty high and is very affordable. I got a 2015 LFX with just over 20K miles for $900 and the 996 trans with 40K miles for $2000. In a car that weighs 2000 lb it will do well. Here is the Porsche 917/10 that I am replicating.
I chose this drive train do to the last build being crazy power and crazy expensive. The LS6 crate motor was $6500 and the G50-52 Turbo Transaxle was $13,000 and was way more than a 2000 lb car needs. I have seen the LF3 twin turbo motors for $5K on ebay and might be tempted with one of those. That is about max for the 996 trans though.

I think this bellhousing is what I need
https://www.stockwiseauto.com/acdelc...xf586508f25043&
Attached Images

Old 05-17-2018, 01:01 PM   #7
bowtieracer

Chip that is the bellhousing you need machine the center out and make an adapter to bolt it up to trans you are using make sure you measure overall length the adapter I made was 3/4 inch thick to make up the proper length I will try to download some pictures later today so you can see how we did it
Old 05-17-2018, 01:28 PM   #8
bowtieracer

chip picture installedName:  Resized_20170729_133239.jpg
Views: 2632
Size:  306.2 KB
Old 05-17-2018, 05:06 PM   #9
csdilligaf

OK, So that is the correct part I need to buy and get dimensions from. But I will make the plate to bolt up to the LFX engine and then the Porsche transaxle bolts to the plate more like this one. This is a Subaru motor mated to the Porsche transaxle which is already available. No one has done this with a LFX engine yet or I would just buy one.
thanks
Attached Images

Old 05-19-2018, 09:05 AM   #10
gtpvette

Drives: 2016 C7
Did you check with Kennedy Engineering??? Looks like they make it. Well,,, they list 'Chevy 3.6 V6 '04+' so I assume they do.

https://www.kennedyeng.com/6-cylinder-engine-list
gtpvette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2018, 03:49 PM   #11
csdilligaf

I checked with them and it is about $2000 for an adapter kit and you still need the clutch. Really not that bad but if I have a cmm and a full CNC shop I prefer to make everything in house.
Old 05-29-2018, 01:17 PM   #12
gtpvette

Drives: 2016 C7
Yes,,, their stuff isn't cheap. I was thinking about this on the way home. The way I understand, the adapter will go between the LFX and the G96,,, much like my LS6 and G50 in the GTM. Can you not get the dimensions off the block?? What the plan for a pilot bearing?? Does the G96 require it??

As a sidebar,,, you have a build thread I might check out. 917 spyder would be slick!!!
gtpvette is offline   Reply With Quote