Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > Specific Packages / Variants > 6th gen Camaro 1LE

AWE Tuning

Old 09-05-2017, 12:08 PM   #1
seanblurr

Drives: ZL1 1LE
Serious track guys: Are you running equal compound brake pads or split?

Gents,

What are you guys running for brake pad compounds? I'm not looking for info on your specific brake pads, I'm just trying to figure out if you guys are running an equal F/R compound, or a split F/R compound. As far as I can tell, the stock Ferrado's are equal F/R. I used an XP12/8 for 3 events and the fronts got demolished and didn't last, rears look new. This is leading me to believe a compound split of that magnitude isn't warranted, and I would be better off either using an equal pad, or a rear pad that is 1 step under, not 2, from the front. FYI, I use G-Loc pads (same as Carbotech).
Old 09-05-2017, 12:14 PM   #2
slick3

Drives: Garnet Red - 20 ZLE
Thats what G-Loc recommended me as well and thats what I am running. Only have one event on them so far but they fronts still look good.
slick3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2017, 12:58 PM   #3
Provoste

Drives: E46 S54 race car, 964C2
Quote:
Originally Posted by seanblurr View Post
Gents,

What are you guys running for brake pad compounds? I'm not looking for info on your specific brake pads, I'm just trying to figure out if you guys are running an equal F/R compound, or a split F/R compound. As far as I can tell, the stock Ferrado's are equal F/R. I used an XP12/8 for 3 events and the fronts got demolished and didn't last, rears look new. This is leading me to believe a compound split of that magnitude isn't warranted, and I would be better off either using an equal pad, or a rear pad that is 1 step under, not 2, from the front. FYI, I use G-Loc pads (same as Carbotech).
I'm running the same compound front/rear (DTC 60's). Fronts wear 2-1 faster than rears, but the rears do wear. This 2-1 wear is about what I always have gotten on track with various Porsches.
Provoste is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2017, 01:05 PM   #4
urr2slo

Drives: 2010 2ss ss/rs abm, 2016 2ss/rs hbm
I went big, like 16" front rotors and 8 piston calipers with Rotora's H8 track compound front and rear. Rear brakes are 14.5 rotors with 4 piston calipers.
Several track days on the Roval at Auto Club Speedway with no fade or wear issues. Usually top 5 on the speed charts overall.
Attached Images

Old 09-05-2017, 01:13 PM   #5
glamcem

Drives: '19 RivrsdBlu 1LE ('17 1LE HB sold)
Since we have electronic brake proportioning valves, staggered setup shouldn't be necessary or would hurt anything. I always used ST43s as equal compound front an rear but wanted to try the ST47/ST45 (since it's pretty common and ST47s would be possibly overkill for the rears).

Also, I feel I can always use more brakes up front since this is the heaviest track car I ever owned/operated.
glamcem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2017, 02:00 PM   #6
Ryephile
Hot Dog

Drives: '17 1SS 1LE
No need to have split mu's. Like Cem said, EBD, plus the EBD is tuned for same mu pads front/back with stock compounds. If you put a wimpy pad on the back, the EBD quite possibly won't have the trim authority to get the rears to work enough. That certainly explains Sean's observations with rear pad wear. My Alcon caliper temp stickers are lightly at 450°F front and solidly at 370°F rear. The rears are definitely working.

G-Loc has this ridiculous habit of recommending crazy split mu's with no good rationale, certainly not logical. On cars with no EBD, or any prop valve at all, then you tune proportioning with mu. On our cars it's simply not relevant.
Old 09-05-2017, 03:45 PM   #7
seanblurr

Drives: ZL1 1LE
Ok, sound's like I may go ahead with an R16 (equal to carbotechs XP16) on all four corners then.
Old 09-05-2017, 04:37 PM   #8
slick3

Drives: Garnet Red - 20 ZLE
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryephile View Post
No need to have split mu's. Like Cem said, EBD, plus the EBD is tuned for same mu pads front/back with stock compounds. If you put a wimpy pad on the back, the EBD quite possibly won't have the trim authority to get the rears to work enough. That certainly explains Sean's observations with rear pad wear. My Alcon caliper temp stickers are lightly at 450°F front and solidly at 370°F rear. The rears are definitely working.

G-Loc has this ridiculous habit of recommending crazy split mu's with no good rationale, certainly not logical. On cars with no EBD, or any prop valve at all, then you tune proportioning with mu. On our cars it's simply not relevant.
Great info. Thanks for the explanation.
slick3 is offline   Reply With Quote