Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > V8 LT1 Engine, Exhaust, and Bolt-Ons

Phastek Performance

Old 03-16-2017, 03:05 PM   #15
7stringtheory

Drives: 2017 Camaro 1SS 1LE
In 2017 if you dont think that giving some people some free products (who can actually provide you with exposure) is a worthwhile endeavor then you are being left behind in the times.

That being said obviously there are going to be a lot of people that try to just get free stuff. Pretty simple solution to that, dont give it to them.

Fortunately in 2017 its also pretty easy to tell whether or not someone is going to be worth giving free stuff to. (instagram,twitter,youtube,facebook...)
7stringtheory is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2017, 04:24 PM   #16
16maross

Drives: 16 Camaro SS, 08 Vette Z06
I agree with both of you also. Being old school and saying I'm only selling my product is nothing admirable or to be proud of. A sponsorship is a form of marketing, you being here on this forum is marketing. You paying to be a sponsor here is the same exact thing so this rant is so hypocritical. I agree with anyone that asks you for a sponsorship and if you say no and they find another company that will offer a discount in exchange for using their social media and reviews for marketing, that's called business, that's called marketing, don't sell products if you don't want to be a part of it. It's not a hand out, it is an exchange for getting the word out there. If you think you can do that on your own fine, that's why between RB, CAI, and Mishimoto you only sell intakes for a handful of cars, the others have a huge market on many different cars, you wonder why? It's because they know how to market and you don't. Don't come on here and attack people with your rants, people are trying to have fun and build a car and save money just like you are here trying to make money.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jwdominick View Post
Its called marketing; many companies actually have "programs" where product is either discounted or even given in full in exchange for all sorts of commercial marketing ranging from viral advertisements to brand marketing with decals or wraps and even cross site links etc...

Good for you to have a stance and a plan on what you "dont" do, but you are in the minority by a long shot.

I also don't personally believe it's a good "marketing strategy" for a business to broadcast such a strong opinion and basically insinuate those asking are "mooching", but that's your call to make.
I'm just pointing out the impression I got from what I would call a rant from a vendor on a public page about their own customer base.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 7stringtheory View Post
In 2017 if you dont think that giving some people some free products (who can actually provide you with exposure) is a worthwhile endeavor then you are being left behind in the times.

That being said obviously there are going to be a lot of people that try to just get free stuff. Pretty simple solution to that, dont give it to them.

Fortunately in 2017 its also pretty easy to tell whether or not someone is going to be worth giving free stuff to. (instagram,twitter,youtube,facebook...)
16maross is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2017, 04:28 PM   #17
Roto-fab 1

Drives: 16 Camaro SS w/ Roto-fab CAI
My concern with this tactic is it devalues the information on the forum if this type of activity gets out of hand. We are a sponsor on this forum and this is what we do for a living. Personally, I am a member on several forums. When I want to compare aftermarket components for my Jeep, I hope I am reading valuable reviews and not just reading great things about the company that gave away the most light bars last year! That is the point I was trying to make when I started this thread. Perhaps I didn't clarify it enough.
Roto-fab 1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2017, 04:33 PM   #18
SuperSound

Drives: '17 Camaro 2SS A8
Quote:
Originally Posted by 6thgenSS View Post
But what I see this company comment on everything there is that they have all this data that shows all these gains on a stock tune with no other mods. This data is from their vendors, so of course it will say that. The 10 or so hp you get from just slapping on the CAI (ON STOCK TUNE & NO OTHER MODS) is not going to give you anything and one run to another can give you that variance. Since it is such a small gain if you run stock tune and no other mods, it makes no difference which CAI you go with, it's not going to give you anything so I wish companies like Roto fab would stop saying it does. They will obviously sell more this way, but realistically the only people that should be buying CAIs are those going heavy into mods and retuning!
Perhaps you should do some reading on the Roto-fab results before stating your opinion. There have been multiple threads showing they produce tangible, repeatable results....and not just from vendors...actual members here who do not have gain any benefit from sharing their results. Granted what you say could be true for several other aftermarket options.

"Voices in your head are not considered insider information."

3800 Status - 6/16/16 (Built!)
6000 status - 6/29/16 (Delivered!)
SuperSound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2017, 04:34 PM   #19
6thgenSS

Drives: 2016 Camaro SS
This is called marketing, don't come here and talk down to potential customers just because some may be interested in sponsorship... sorry if anyone fills your inbox with request just like you clog our feeds with your ads. It's not misinformation, if an individual gets sponsored by a company, installs the product, likes it, and gives it a thumbs up and then advocates that product over yours because you were too proud to offer them the same opportunity to get sponsored, that's on you for missing out. It's not skewed or wrong info, you're just mad because you don't want to invest in the marketing, that's the price of having a business!
6thgenSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2017, 04:41 PM   #20
16maross

You do realize that in your example, if people get a free light bar and it's good and they tell everyone it's good that's not misinformation. And kudos to that company for not being so cheap and giving free stuff out to give back to their customers!

If I got a free light bar and it was crap, I wouldn't care because it was free, but I wouldn't be telling everyone it was great, I'd be saying it didn't work, but it was free so guess I can't complain.

Don't hate people that want to get sponsored, they are trying to help you and get the word out for you. Don't hate other companies that do sponsor people, they just want to give back to the customers.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roto-fab 1 View Post
My concern with this tactic is it devalues the information on the forum if this type of activity gets out of hand. We are a sponsor on this forum and this is what we do for a living. Personally, I am a member on several forums. When I want to compare aftermarket components for my Jeep, I hope I am reading valuable reviews and not just reading great things about the company that gave away the most light bars last year! That is the point I was trying to make when I started this thread. Perhaps I didn't clarify it enough.
Old 03-16-2017, 04:44 PM   #21
16maross

A summary of your long winded post is - we are too good to sponsor people, we think it can sell it self, we don't care about giving back to our customers, and anyone that uses sponsorship as a marketing tool is a fraud.

All of which is FALSE, it is called marketing and you either need to get on board or get out of the business of selling things.
Old 03-16-2017, 04:53 PM   #22
urr2slo

Drives: 2010 2ss ss/rs abm, 2016 2ss/rs hbm
Quote:
Originally Posted by 6thgenSS View Post
This is called marketing, don't come here and talk down to potential customers just because some may be interested in sponsorship... sorry if anyone fills your inbox with request just like you clog our feeds with your ads. It's not misinformation, if an individual gets sponsored by a company, installs the product, likes it, and gives it a thumbs up and then advocates that product over yours because you were too proud to offer them the same opportunity to get sponsored, that's on you for missing out. It's not skewed or wrong info, you're just mad because you don't want to invest in the marketing, that's the price of having a business!
I don't think you understand what the OP was actually saying. I doubt he disagrees with your current statement either. What I understand from the original post was about clear "mooches" who are in it for nothing but the product. They will say whatever you want them to say in return for free goods. This is not what Roto-Fab is looking for. Any item they give out free for testing is clearly open to negative feedback and I'm sure if there was any negative feedback they want to know about it. If you knew half of the work Roto-Fab puts into developing a new CAI kit, I doubt you would be saying anything at all. I know Mike personally, and can tell you he clearly understands marketing and knows his product well enough that it can stand on its own merits. And if I were in his shoes having people call me up and demand free product or they will denounce my product or say its inferior to whatever I get for free from someone else, that would aggravate me to no end.
Old 03-16-2017, 04:57 PM   #23
SPARTAN sui
PC Technician

Drives: 2016 Hyper Blue 2SS
There's a lot of this on Amazon. It's a huge issue as they'll say whatever the company wants them to say for free products. So then you start getting paid reviews that could make a mediocre product have a 5 star rating. Rating should be on merit, not paid for.
Old 03-16-2017, 05:06 PM   #24
SuperSound

Drives: '17 Camaro 2SS A8
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roto-fab 1 View Post
Hey guys, this is a subject which seems to pop up more and more. One of the fads on the internet is to contact manufacturers requesting free product in exchange for positive testimonial. In the last year or two, this has escalated from the request of free products to the threat of obtaining competitor's products and promoting them if we don't comply with the free product request.
Quote:
Originally Posted by 16maross View Post
A summary of your long winded post is - we are too good to sponsor people, we think it can sell it self, we don't care about giving back to our customers, and anyone that uses sponsorship as a marketing tool is a fraud.

All of which is FALSE, it is called marketing and you either need to get on board or get out of the business of selling things.
Try reading comprehension. If they want to publicly state they don't want to do sponsorships because of an increase of completely false, manipulative attempts by free loaders to obtain their products, that's their decision. It has absolutely nothing to do with them believing all sponsorships are fraud and nothing about them being "too good".

"Voices in your head are not considered insider information."

3800 Status - 6/16/16 (Built!)
6000 status - 6/29/16 (Delivered!)
SuperSound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2017, 05:18 PM   #25
BradfordCamaro
SABIO

Drives: 2016 CAMARO 1SS
Too much reading.....

.... How about a unit for 50% off ???
Sound good?

BradfordCamaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2017, 06:11 PM   #26
JDP Sales

Drives: Chevys at the limit
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aboynamedsue View Post
Too many people want something for nothing.
+1

Quote:
Originally Posted by 16maross View Post

I think you have missed the point entirely of what Roto-Fab is trying to make. Its not giving the systems out for free that is not sitting well with its the fact that you can't have a true, unbiased opinion about it when you review it because you got it for free and now you have to say nice things about it.

I would prefer to have a couple of good, honest reviews about a product then to have 100 reviews that are bought. That right there is false advertisement.

Why must a company sell themselves short just to get there product out there? And your whole marketing statement is slightly hilarious. Do you see any Lamborghini or Ferrari commercials out there on day time TV? No. Wanna know why? Because they know there worth and don't need to. Roto-Fab and their intakes are just the same. Just my .02. Have a great day everyone!

Best regards,

Kayla L.
JDP Sales is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2017, 06:42 PM   #27
Jdelgado92

Drives: '16 Red hot M6
Some of the stuff I'm reading on this thread are crazyyy. Roto-fab doesn't owe any body anything or any company for that matter. If they don't feel the need to give out free stuff for some extra advertising then they don't have to. There's no rule written in any marketing book saying a company must sponsor/give out free stuff, it's purely up to them so why should they get out of the business of selling a profuct if they dont get on board?? People who paid to get the Cai are writing their own reviews and showing how satisfied they are with the product without being sponsored, which says a lot about the product and roto fab. I honestly think those reviews mean way more than a review from someone that got it for free. I'm just saying, let them do their thing, if they want to sponsor, they will and if they don't want to sponsor someone who just wants free stuff then good for them, I wouldn't either.
I need a beer now
Old 03-16-2017, 06:52 PM   #28
keon718nyc

Drives: Challenger SP Shaker/Arcadia Denali
Quote:
Originally Posted by jwdominick View Post
Its called marketing; many companies actually have "programs" where product is either discounted or even given in full in exchange for all sorts of commercial marketing ranging from viral advertisements to brand marketing with decals or wraps and even cross site links etc...

Good for you to have a stance and a plan on what you "dont" do, but you are in the minority by a long shot.

I also don't personally believe it's a good "marketing strategy" for a business to broadcast such a strong opinion and basically insinuate those asking are "mooching", but that's your call to make.
I'm just pointing out the impression I got from what I would call a rant from a vendor on a public page about their own customer base.
"Marketing Strategy" +1 - And i am just wondering why would a thread be started with this type of subject. If you guys are getting hit with ridiculous daily emails or PM's for free stuff and sponsorship then just respond and/or delete them and move on rather then rant on this or any other public forum. Also the title of the thread is very misleading to some i bet but hey, who the heck am i to say...
keon718nyc is offline   Reply With Quote