Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > CAMARO6.com General Forums > 2016+ Camaro: 6th Gen Camaro general forum

Bigwormgraphix

Old 09-17-2020, 01:18 PM   #15
CamaroSS18
Camaro2SS18

Drives: 2018 Chevrolet Camaro 2SS
I went with the ACS ZL1 Aeropack which includes the front splitter, side skirts and undertray. I like them a lot, they fit nice and look good. No gaps or anything to worry about on the install, fitment was perfect.
CamaroSS18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2020, 02:09 PM   #16
gpskinzhut

Drives: 2017 ZL1 A10
OEM splitter is nice but it's made of glass.

2017 ZL1 A10
2017 2SS M6: (SOLD) || 2014 2LT Convertible: (SOLD) || 2010 2LT M6 Supercharged:(SOLD) || 1987 IROC-Z 5.0 M5: (SOLD)
gpskinzhut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2020, 02:23 PM   #17
activepat

Drives: Red Hot SS 1LE
Did you have to drill a bunch of holes? That's the part that worries me. Also it looks like it lays on top of the factory side molding. If so what hols them together? Glue? TY!

Quote:
Originally Posted by CamaroRSOnt View Post
I went with the GM front splitter ordered with the car and EOS Sideskirt off of Amazon... the side skirt I painted satin black with Rustoleum Spray paint and installed myself with stainless steel screws and washers. I used black silicone sealant to close a small gap between the body and the sideskirts towards the rear of the sideskirt. Turned out very nice. The EOS sideskirts were 1/4 the price of the installed GM ones from the factory, no difference in the final look.

https://www.amazon.ca/Extreme-Online...7CR0BMTEBR1XAP
activepat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2020, 02:35 PM   #18
orange blaze
Red Hot SS

Drives: 2017 Camaro 2SS
Happy with mine. GM body kit.
Attached Images

orange blaze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2020, 02:53 PM   #19
ember1205
Hot Camaro

Drives: '20 2SS Convertible 6MT
Quote:
Originally Posted by activepat View Post
Did you have to drill a bunch of holes? That's the part that worries me. Also it looks like it lays on top of the factory side molding. If so what hols them together? Glue? TY!
I have the EOS "refresh ZL1 style" front splitter and side skirts on my car. I believe that you'll find the installs are all fairly close, if not identical.

Front Splitter: There's something like a dozen screws that you take out of existing locations, install the splitter, and re-install the screws. There should also be a piece of 3M VHB tape that goes along the inner front edge of the splitter and the bottom of the bumper cover. On the EOS one at least, there are four additional holes on the front of the splitter that are intended for installing rivets through (drill the bumper cover). I did not use these.

Skirts: You will need to supply a decent amount of 3M VHB tape in order to secure the skirts to the rockers of the car. So long as the fitment of the skirts is good against the lines of the car, it is feasible to install with tape ONLY as I did (zero screws used). The directions, however, call for installing a number of screws through the skirts and into the rockers. The kits will generally come with them and they are self-tapping, so no pre-drilling is required. Most people will buy stainless steel screws instead, though, to keep them from corroding. You generally cannot see any of these as they are installed from underneath and out of your normal line of sight.
Attached Images

ember1205 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2020, 04:45 PM   #20
activepat

Drives: Red Hot SS 1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by ember1205 View Post
I have the EOS "refresh ZL1 style" front splitter and side skirts on my car. I believe that you'll find the installs are all fairly close, if not identical.

Front Splitter: There's something like a dozen screws that you take out of existing locations, install the splitter, and re-install the screws. There should also be a piece of 3M VHB tape that goes along the inner front edge of the splitter and the bottom of the bumper cover. On the EOS one at least, there are four additional holes on the front of the splitter that are intended for installing rivets through (drill the bumper cover). I did not use these.

Skirts: You will need to supply a decent amount of 3M VHB tape in order to secure the skirts to the rockers of the car. So long as the fitment of the skirts is good against the lines of the car, it is feasible to install with tape ONLY as I did (zero screws used). The directions, however, call for installing a number of screws through the skirts and into the rockers. The kits will generally come with them and they are self-tapping, so no pre-drilling is required. Most people will buy stainless steel screws instead, though, to keep them from corroding. You generally cannot see any of these as they are installed from underneath and out of your normal line of sight.
Thanks! Not a fan of drilling holes. 3m VHB is the 2 sided 1/2" tape?
activepat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2020, 04:56 PM   #21
ember1205
Hot Camaro

Quote:
Originally Posted by activepat View Post
Thanks! Not a fan of drilling holes. 3m VHB is the 2 sided 1/2" tape?
VHB stands for Very High Bond. Not all of the double-sided tape is VHB. And 3M has a whole slew of different "formulas". You want the 4229 series of tapes as they are formulated specifically for the side without the red plastic to go up against your car's paint / clearcoat. This is the same stuff the OEM's use to hold on body side moldings, emblems, etc.

Here's a link to the exact product I used for the skirts: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Yes, that's a 100' roll of tape for under $10. I may buy another roll just to have it on hand! It's 3M 4229 tape although they do their best to completely obscure all of that in the listing. And that might be how they can sell it for so cheap. Everything else I've found is 5-6x the price.
Old 09-18-2020, 06:31 AM   #22
akelly78

Drives: 2016 Red 2SS
I also went with Street Scene splitter and side skirts Matte black. I will tell you if you go with them to use rivets even though the instructions don't say to.
Attached Images

akelly78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2020, 10:51 AM   #23
CamaroRSOnt

Drives: 2023 SS Vert
I tried the 3M tape, didn't work very well. Some have had success with it but I didn't. Pulled off in a couple of spots. If GM put it on for you in the factory I believe they use rivets.

Self tapping screws, side skirts have holes for them already so you know where to put them. No big deal.
Attached Images

2014 C7 Z51
2020 RS Convertible
2023 2SS Convertible
CamaroRSOnt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2020, 10:53 AM   #24
ember1205
Hot Camaro

Quote:
Originally Posted by CamaroRSOnt View Post
I tried the 3M tape, didn't work very well. Some have had success with it but I didn't. Pulled off in a couple of spots. If GM put it on for you in the factory I believe they use rivets.

Self tapping screws, side skirts have holes for them already so you know where to put them. No big deal.
Tape requires a very specific process to apply or it will pull off. You have to press the tape hard into the skirts to get it to adhere on that side (the non-protected face of the tape coming off of the roll - I stated it backwards previously). Then, hit the car with a hair dryer once the skirt is in place and warm the entire length of the tape and keep it warm for 20-30 minutes combined with pressure. This allows the tape to gain full adhesion. If you don't do this, especially if there is not a great contour fit, it's going to pull back and release.
Old 09-18-2020, 01:35 PM   #25
CamaroSS18
Camaro2SS18

Quote:
Tape requires a very specific process to apply or it will pull off. You have to press the tape hard into the skirts to get it to adhere on that side (the non-protected face of the tape coming off of the roll - I stated it backwards previously). Then, hit the car with a hair dryer once the skirt is in place and warm the entire length of the tape and keep it warm for 20-30 minutes combined with pressure. This allows the tape to gain full adhesion. If you don't do this, especially if there is not a great contour fit, it's going to pull back and release.

Or, you could just use rivets. Easy to install, guaranteed to hold and does not leave a gap the thickness of the tape along the skirt for a dirt trap. Like stated earlier, that is how they would come from the factory or installed by a dealer. Over time, the tape will start to let go and fail and have to be redone again. Rivets are a one and done.
Old 09-18-2020, 01:39 PM   #26
ember1205
Hot Camaro

Quote:
Originally Posted by CamaroSS18 View Post
Or, you could just use rivets. Easy to install, guaranteed to hold and does not leave a gap the thickness of the tape along the skirt for a dirt trap. Like stated earlier, that is how they would come from the factory or installed by a dealer. Over time, the tape will start to let go and fail and have to be redone again. Rivets are a one and done.
If applied and installed correctly on a piece that fits properly, the tape will not "let go." That's why it's used by manufacturers to attach many pieces to our cars as they have been doing for years. But, it has to be done correctly. I have no interest in making holes in my car, so I would happily re-install the pieces every couple of years or so if it meant I could remove them at any time if I chose to or needed to.
Old 09-18-2020, 01:57 PM   #27
CamaroSS18
Camaro2SS18

Quote:
If applied and installed correctly on a piece that fits properly, the tape will not "let go." That's why it's used by manufacturers to attach many pieces to our cars as they have been doing for years. But, it has to be done correctly. I have no interest in making holes in my car, so I would happily re-install the pieces every couple of years or so if it meant I could remove them at any time if I chose to or needed to.

Yes, you are correct, they have used tape to install things like emblems and side moldings on vehicles for years, but I do not think I have ever seen or know them to use it on things like side skirts and molded side steps on suv's or any other body panel. Even our shark fin antenna's are not just taped on, they are bolted. I get not wanting to put holes in your vehicle, but if you had got the car from the factory with side skirts, they would have been riveted with holes. It's a piece of mind I guess as well, just knowing your skirts or any body panel is securely attached. To each their own though, just how I did it and would recommend doing it, but in the end it is your vehicle and you do what feels good for you.
Old 09-18-2020, 02:06 PM   #28
CamaroSS18
Camaro2SS18

Quote:
Now when I say let go, what I am saying is, that even though a piece may be fitted properly and installed correctly, over time the tape will break down, whether it be from heat and sun, water, dirt, they eventually start to let go. I have seen it on accessories put on trucks or cars. Now it will last for some years and may not let go completely but will let loose in spots after awhile.

Tags
camaro, front, rockers, side, splitter