Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Bigwormgraphix
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Audio, Video, Bluetooth, Navigation, Radar, Electronics Forum

Old 06-16-2010, 08:38 AM   #15
camaro4mybday
"Camaro Joe"

Drives: 2010 SILVER ICE 2LT/RS CAMARO
Send a message via AIM to camaro4mybday
i can tell you as far as the windshield goes it is not really needed, i have done hud upgrades on cars as far back as 92, does with work yes is it 100% no its about 90% the only difference is there is a reflector in the glass that makes the hud brighter on the glass, the dash can be cut with a trim bezel and if not send the dash out and get recovered to match your seats with the stitching a much worth upgrade
camaro4mybday is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2010, 04:11 PM   #16
Mr_Draco

Drives: 2SS/RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by atlang3lo View Post
under 400 is the price i'm hoping for.
If it is the same HUD module as in the Vette's, then it won't be. The module alone is $375 plus tax. The minimum needed for this retrofit is the module, harness, mounting hardware, and BCM update. Imo the cheapest this will come out to is $700-$800. But again we'll have to see what is missing in the '10's.
Mr_Draco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2010, 04:50 PM   #17
CamaroSkooter
Retarded One-Legged Owl

Drives: 2010 Black Camaro 2SS
Um, your whole dash needs to be replaced. The 2010 Camaro's do NOT have an insert in the dash that you can just remove to drop in the HUD unit like the Vettes do.

The dash will cost you a lot more than $300 by itself...
CamaroSkooter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2010, 04:52 PM   #18
Pumpkin1LT

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SS
I'm gonna ask the dealership when I take my baby in next Monday. I'd really like to have that set up.

A happy wife is one in the garage getting dirty under her 2010 Camaro!
Pumpkin1LT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2010, 04:56 PM   #19
skuttduck

Drives: 2010 RJT 2LT Camaro
Send a message via ICQ to skuttduck Send a message via AIM to skuttduck Send a message via Yahoo to skuttduck
Quote:
Originally Posted by CamaroSkooter View Post
Um, your whole dash needs to be replaced. The 2010 Camaro's do NOT have an insert in the dash that you can just remove to drop in the HUD unit like the Vettes do.

The dash will cost you a lot more than $300 by itself...
I seriously think it isn't a whole new dash, but a cut out with a plastic bezel around the screen.

Old 06-16-2010, 05:02 PM   #20
CamaroSkooter
Retarded One-Legged Owl

Yes skuttduck, the 2010 does not have a rectangular insert there. Unless you feel like taking a sawsall to your 2010 Dash, it will require a whole new dash from a 2011.

There's also no guarantee that there is nothing located directly underneath that rectangular location in the 2010's... I can imagine how pissed some people would be if they cut into their dash to realize that there is some air duct work beneath it...
Old 06-16-2010, 05:07 PM   #21
skuttduck

Send a message via ICQ to skuttduck Send a message via AIM to skuttduck Send a message via Yahoo to skuttduck
Quote:
Yes skuttduck, the 2010 does not have a rectangular insert there. Unless you feel like taking a sawsall to your 2010 Dash, it will require a whole new dash from a 2011.

There's also no guarantee that there is nothing located directly underneath that rectangular location in the 2010's... I can imagine how pissed some people would be if they cut into their dash to realize that there is some air duct work beneath it...
You are talking to someone who has spent a few hours wiring up ambient lighting and had to take his gauges off. Look at the photo I attached from the ambient lighting thread.

Here is the photo KTCam created. Also you can reach the Vin by taking off the gauges.

You do have the whole issue of trying to cut the hole up there with the windshield installed.
Old 06-17-2010, 04:29 AM   #22
13lade

Drives: '11 SIM 2ss/rs LS3 #13363 iom seats
the good news is that once someone with an '11 does the ABL mod, we can get some good pics of how the HUD is harnessed. Looking forward to that

I have not done the ABL yet.... still waiting on parts... Do you think you could dremel the rectangle out from below? Is there enough room to get up in there?
13lade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2010, 06:24 AM   #23
CamaroSkooter
Retarded One-Legged Owl

Quote:
Originally Posted by skuttduck View Post
You are talking to someone who has spent a few hours wiring up ambient lighting and had to take his gauges off. Look at the photo I attached from the ambient lighting thread.

Here is the photo KTCam created. Also you can reach the Vin by taking off the gauges.

You do have the whole issue of trying to cut the hole up there with the windshield installed.
Well, okay, so that answers the question of what's hidden under the dash panel, but we still don't know how large (specifically how deep) the HUD unit is. I imagine it will fit, but I can't imagine how easy it would be to modify the dash in place.

The method of choice is probably going to be to remove the whole dash for purposes of access. Plus, then you wouldn't end up with plastic shavings all over the inside of your car.

And from what I've heard, removing the entire dash from the car doesn't exactly sound like a walk in the park...
Old 06-17-2010, 07:02 AM   #24
skuttduck

Quote:
Well, okay, so that answers the question of what's hidden under the dash panel, but we still don't know how large (specifically how deep) the HUD unit is. I imagine it will fit, but I can't imagine how easy it would be to modify the dash in place.

The method of choice is probably going to be to remove the whole dash for purposes of access. Plus, then you wouldn't end up with plastic shavings all over the inside of your car.

And from what I've heard, removing the entire dash from the car doesn't exactly sound like a walk in the park...
Since the 2010 was designed with HUD in mind, I'd say yes there is enough room in there. It might be difficult but I think you could dremel it from below.

Removing the dash, I believe you'll need to remove the windshield for that one. If you view the dash installation video from the factory it is installed without the windshield in place. See the third video for the dash install.

http://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=85961
Old 06-17-2010, 07:27 AM   #25
formare
The Milano

Drives: 2017 Firefly ShipWorks
Quote:

Anyone with a large enough desire can get the headsup display installed and it will be just as good or better than anything from the factory.

It may take a large amount of time, money swet and labor but it can be done. Or, it may be a failry simple 1.5 hour job. Either way, those that want it will certainly have it.
Old 06-17-2010, 09:55 AM   #26
SummoneR
Paul

Drives: '10 2SS/RS M6 "Marauder"
Send a message via Yahoo to SummoneR
I would think the cover would be able to be removed with out having to remove the entire dash itself.
Indpowr may know, they stripped his wifes car to bare metal inside

Here is some pictures from their tear down.

Last edited by SummoneR; 06-17-2010 at 10:21 AM.
SummoneR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2010, 12:40 PM   #27
Rogue Leader
Iatefiberglassinsulation

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SS M6
looks like her windshield is definitely still there...

that said if theres no way to maybe just pull the dash forward and dremel it out, I am NOT going through all that just to have the HUD....
2008 Chevy Silverado 2500 HD LT 6.0 - Tow Vehicle
1991 Alfa Romeo 164S - Project Car
1994 Volkswagen Golf - Race Car

"Like" my race team on Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/farfrumwinnin
Rogue Leader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2010, 02:51 AM   #28
SummoneR
Paul

Drives: '10 2SS/RS M6 "Marauder"
Send a message via Yahoo to SummoneR
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rogue Leader View Post
looks like her windshield is definitely still there...

that said if theres no way to maybe just pull the dash forward and dremel it out, I am NOT going through all that just to have the HUD....
I doubt you would have to go through that much work, They gutted the interior of her car and covered everything in leather. That's why it looks so bad.