Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Phastek Performance
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Audio, Video, Bluetooth, Navigation, Radar, Electronics Forum

Old 05-17-2010, 01:01 PM   #15
mrray13

Drives: 2010 1LT RS Rally Yellow
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1badtie View Post
i have the two kicker CVR10's the C stands for Competition series and its a very hard hitting sub when ligned up with the right amp mine sound great and i didnt even have to dynomat my trunk and they hit the high and low notes as compared to any 12 inch sub the only hit the low notes and therefore you would more than likely need the dynomat and i would buy off the internet and have them install them and i bet you would save 4-5 hundred..

Subs are designed for the lows, as in 80hz and down. Okay, daily driving, 100 hz and down, but to play anything higher, you go to the mids.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sfgiantsfan9 View Post
Go with the 10's. Save some cash and you'll have 20 inches of speaker surface area instead of 12. Also 10's are quicker hitting which is great if you listen to music with a fast paced bass such as Rock. I'd go with the 10's

Wrong. two 10 inch subs have 157 square inches of surface area, a single 12 has 113 square inches. Yes, the two tens have more output potential, based on cone area. That is at the cost of weight due to more sub and more then likely a larger box, so less trunk. Maybe even having to add a larger amp.

Size of the cone doesn't determine how fast a sub hits. Cone weight, suspension materials and geometry and enclosure all determine which sub will hit the "fastest". Not too mention the amps damping factor, or ability to control the cone's movement, will play a big role in that.

In the end, a properly setup single sub setup would be just as impressive, if not more so, then a dual sub setup. Will offer similar, if not better sq, and probably at a cheaper price.
Old 05-17-2010, 01:16 PM   #16
bob1029

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SS M6
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrray13 View Post
Wrong. two 10 inch subs have 157 square inches of surface area, a single 12 has 113 square inches. Yes, the two tens have more output potential, based on cone area. That is at the cost of weight due to more sub and more then likely a larger box, so less trunk. Maybe even having to add a larger amp.
This is partially correct. You can look at the projected area of the driver diaphragm (Sd) then multiply it by the maximum excursion (Xmax) to obtain the total displacement. Be sure to evaluate ALL of the Thiele/Small parameters of any drivers you are looking at in addition to their basic specs. Using modeling software such as WinISD can also help determine which drivers you would want to use for a particular box design. In this case the 10" drivers are probably going to provide more total displacement and higher range of linearity resulting in better cone control and sound.
bob1029 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2010, 01:25 PM   #17
mrray13

Quote:
Originally Posted by bob1029 View Post
This is partially correct. You can look at the projected area of the driver diaphragm (Sd) then multiply it by the maximum excursion (Xmax) to obtain the total displacement. Be sure to evaluate ALL of the Thiele/Small parameters of any drivers you are looking at in addition to their basic specs. Using modeling software such as WinISD can also help determine which drivers you would want to use for a particular box design. In this case the 10" drivers are probably going to provide more total displacement and higher range of linearity resulting in better cone control and sound.
If your are after total displacement, you need to know xmax. Cone area doesn't need xmax, too be figured. I was correcting the previous post stating that two 10s had 20 inches of cone area. Since we are in the correcting mode...

WinISD, while nice, isn't set in stone, nor 100% accurate. Why? It doesn't account for the vehicle, and almost no box modeling software does. I have BassBx Pro6, which does, IF you want to go out and measure your vehicle's response for a given number of frequencies. Of course, you have have to have an enclosure in there roughly the size of the one you might be building. Guess what happens if the box doesn't turn out as big, or turns out bigger? Yep, all that modeling goes to pot, it changes with everything in the car. Hell, flipping down a sunvisor will affect the vehicle's resonant response and frequency, not too mention adding or taking away from the output!!

Again, what happens on paper, or computer modeling software, can pretty much be tossed out the window. It'll get you in the ballpark, but not hit the ball, lol.
Old 05-17-2010, 01:59 PM   #18
Racer-X
Rhymin and Stealin

Drives: The Search is on ABM V6.....
Send a message via MSN to Racer-X
ok... gonna toss in my 3 pennies on this.

mrray has it pretty much nailed reguarding Software.

So, here is what most of us in the industry have learned and know.

pick the sub you want. (and just because it says JL does not mean it is the greatest thing since slided bread) then either build and enclosure or have on built to the specs recommended by the manufatcturer. (or if you have a skilled fabricator he can make a few tweaks that will generally help the performance.) run close to the recommended power and tune it properly. and ENJOY.

There are so many variables in car audio it will boggle the mind. If you are just looking for average performance, stick to the basics and keep it simple.

ponder this as well.... just because everyone knows a brand name does not mean it is the best. and the most expensive will not all ways be the best for your application.

I Make Cars Sound Good.

Enchantment Editions
Arc Audio Competition Team
Image Dynamics Elite Sound Performance Team
Team Stinger
Racer-X is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2010, 02:16 PM   #19
Orange5thGen

Drives: 2011 Convert
Send a message via Yahoo to Orange5thGen
My 2 12's rock....and BOOM.......

I also used FatMat for the entire trunk, no rattle at all except my Ipass on my front windshield at 20 on the volume and higher.........
All with the stock head unit and 200.oo speaker box w/2-12's installed delivered.....

Come see me at www.chicago5thgen.com TEAM LLT, , 2011 Covertible 1LT RS, JDM Color Shift Halo's, Showstopper Camaro Bowtie Led Mirrors, Side Markers and Engine Cover, Pace Setter Catback Exhaust, BK Coilover Kit, 21" Full Crome GM wheels, Tinted windows, I WIN BEARS Plate. Full amber ABL dash and door update with IOM interior panels.
Orange5thGen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2010, 05:39 PM   #20
Master Shake

Drives: Camaro LS
Love the ported box! They always sound the best IMO.

I can't wait to see if my 2x10 ported box will fit through the trunk lid opening.
Master Shake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2010, 06:04 PM   #21
TonyNo

Drives: 2016 2SS, SW
A single 10" is more than sufficient to fill out the bottom.
Old 05-18-2010, 02:03 AM   #22
mrray13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Orange5thGen View Post
My 2 12's rock....and BOOM.......

I also used FatMat for the entire trunk, no rattle at all except my Ipass on my front windshield at 20 on the volume and higher.........
All with the stock head unit and 200.oo speaker box w/2-12's installed delivered.....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Master Shake View Post
Love the ported box! They always sound the best IMO.

I can't wait to see if my 2x10 ported box will fit through the trunk lid opening.

He has a 4th order Bandpass, not a standard ported enclosure. I leave my opinion of it out, as Orange5thGen is happy with it, and that's all that matters!
Old 05-18-2010, 08:51 AM   #23
Tigertrj

Drives: White Camaro 2SS/RS
d-ball2ss do u have pics cause im thinking about putting two solobaric L5's in my trunk , i wanted to see what it looked like
Tigertrj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2010, 09:24 PM   #24
slowride-5
Groverat

Drives: 2010 Camaro
I have 2 T5-10 sound stream subs ,with a 2000 watt sound stream amp it just pounds the sh*t out of the car !!
slowride-5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2010, 10:05 PM   #25
cdigiovanni

Drives: 2010 SS2, 03 vette supercharged,
18in ultra
cdigiovanni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2010, 09:44 AM   #26
BriCo84

Drives: 2011 CGM 2LT w/RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tigertrj View Post
d-ball2ss do u have pics cause im thinking about putting two solobaric L5's in my trunk , i wanted to see what it looked like
Ya d-ball2ss if you have pics could you please post. I will be putting in 2 L7 10" solo barics and im interested in seeing you setup. Does it look clean? is it taking up the whole trunk? please post.

thanks
BriCo84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2010, 10:13 AM   #27
epstein
Account Suspended

Drives: SS/RS
Send a message via AIM to epstein
How about Two 12's?
epstein is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2010, 10:35 AM   #28
BriCo84

Drives: 2011 CGM 2LT w/RS