Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > CAMARO6.com General Forums > 2016+ Camaro: 6th Gen Camaro general forum

BeckyD @ James Martin Chevy

Old 10-13-2020, 04:17 PM   #1
Kngofharts13

Drives: Chevrolet Camaro SS 1LE
Suspension upgrades

I’ve been considering lowering springs for a while now. Herd there were issues using them with magride and other issues with not getting as big a drop as most would like. Bilstein just dropped their new suspension for the 6 gens which includes the adjustable shocks and lowering springs. This may be the route I take. What’s everyone’s opinions on dumping magride? And does anyone know a good price to sell your used magride setup?

Also, the bilstein setup was tested in Germany on Nurburgring so it is track worthy.

Thanks
Kngofharts13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2020, 04:18 PM   #2
kropscamaro16

Drives: 2016 1ss camaro
we do not know that it was tested on a 1le or a car with magride nor that it was track tested most guys with magride so not remove them unless its for mcs or jrz or dssv coilovers but if you want to be the test dummy go for it!
Old 10-13-2020, 05:04 PM   #3
Kngofharts13

Quote:
Originally Posted by kropscamaro16 View Post
we do not know that it was tested on a 1le or a car with magride nor that it was track tested most guys with magride so not remove them unless its for mcs or jrz or dssv coilovers but if you want to be the test dummy go for it!
Ok so I misspoke, the suspension features technology tested on Nurburgring. Are you trying to say these other brands you e mentioned are a superior product? Doesn’t seem like you to enthused by Bilsteins option.
Old 10-13-2020, 05:10 PM   #4
kropscamaro16

i am not but i have not been able to test one it just depends on what you are looking for if you are looking to get low or get super low or if you are looking for on track performance i have done alot of coilover research ...trust me lol
Old 10-13-2020, 05:37 PM   #5
Kngofharts13

Quote:
Originally Posted by kropscamaro16 View Post
i am not but i have not been able to test one it just depends on what you are looking for if you are looking to get low or get super low or if you are looking for on track performance i have done alot of coilover research ...trust me lol
My concern isn’t very low at as I track the car. I haven’t done a ton of research on it yet which is why I came here for advice. I’ve herd guys had issues with lowering springs with magride so I’m trying to see what the best route is. A full replacement that’s still going to have decent performance for the track? Or stick with magride and get lowering springs. Or do nothing.
Old 10-13-2020, 05:46 PM   #6
kropscamaro16

i would just try out the yyz springs my buddy in utah has em on his 1le and he loves em he also got 19s and better tires and vorshlag camber plates

i have yyz springs/custom bilsteins from powell raceshop he is still working on the shocks but will have them available next year
Old 10-13-2020, 05:54 PM   #7
kropscamaro16

or your other option is dsc jrz or mcs coilovers but those are $$$$
Old 10-14-2020, 07:13 AM   #8
BrandanK

Drives: 2021 Camaro SS 1LE
I'd love to see some before and after test data on the Bilstein setup.
I'd imagine no one has a very good comparison like GM did for their suspension package.
Because of this, I am 95% sure I am going to purchase the GM suspension package for my LT1 in the Spring. Guaranteed improvements that were designed by the same team that designed the car.

I'm not saying that Bilstein doesn't make a great product, but I'll need to see some data before I'd consider purchase.

Brandan
BrandanK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2020, 07:54 AM   #9
CoeusAscended

Drives: Chevrolet Camaro SS 2018
Not dissing the Bilstein stuff but unless there's quantifiable comparisons done that we can view, "tested at the Nurburgring" means nothing and is just an empty advertising slogan. Lowering springs in general won't affect Magneride if you stay within reason, up to 30-35mm or so. And that's usually the most available springs will drop anyhow. Just go with tried and true brands with plenty of reviews and experience, BMR, Eibach, H&R etc

I'm also iffy on swapping out the Magneride stuff, seems a bit overkill unless you go for an all-out track car, but just for the street, that's just money thrown away for nothing. You'd be better off swapping the rear cradle bushings and make the rear tighter than swapping out an already perfectly good shock system...
Old 10-14-2020, 09:31 AM   #10
Msquared

Drives: Chevrolet SS 1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by CoeusAscended View Post
I'm also iffy on swapping out the Magneride stuff, seems a bit overkill unless you go for an all-out track car, but just for the street, that's just money thrown away for nothing.
Couldn't agree more. OP, what is your intended use for the car, and what is your experience level in driving? I can't tell you how many times I've seen people make their stock cars slower and more difficult to drive fast with mods like these.
Old 10-14-2020, 10:43 AM   #11
kropscamaro16

one of our local guys just got his set and will be getting it on shortly interested to see what he says!
Old 10-14-2020, 10:53 AM   #12
Thill444

Drives: 2020 SS1LE Shadow Gray Metallic
Yeah I am skeptical. What is it that you don't like about the SS1LE suspension? Magnetic ride is an upgrade for these cars and GM has spent countless hours developing and testing it for our cars. What about the integration with the e-diff?

If you just want the car to be slightly lower there are lowering springs that work with the magnetic dampers. If you are looking for better track performance, there are other mods you can try first.
Thill444 is offline   Reply With Quote