Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Forced Induction Discussions

Phastek Performance

Old 12-02-2016, 09:47 AM   #15
Padre
Only drives on Sundays

Drives: '16 2SS A8 NPP MRC NGray
Ted, what's your experience with fuel economy on the PD's?

My last C5 SS build was a monster, and pretty much pointless on the street (D1-SC, roll cage and all). Before I went monster, some of my bolt-ons improved MPG, e.g. CAI, Shorties, HF Cats, lighter wheels, etc.

With this build, I want power, of course, but also something that can go 400 miles on a tank of gas (no E85 for me). I want a cross-country cruiser. From my reading, again Magnuson seems best in that regard when it is driven tamely. Your thoughts?

Padre

OLD HOTNESS: The "Heretic": '11 2SS/RS L99 A6 Black/Inferno. Build Journal, Videos
D1SC GT9 JBA-LT = 720/680 | 10.330 @ 133.61, 1.546 sixty... Camaro King at ECS V, Darlington.
NEW HOTNESS: '16 2SS A8 NPP MRC. Bone Stock, 1/8th: 8.051 @ 89.44, 1.919
Padre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2016, 09:56 AM   #16
Tim SS

Drives: 16 Vert 2SS Red Hot M6
I'm considering two mods to my 100% stock '16 2SS M6 Vert. A Heartbeat and the factory GM CAI.(which doesn't seem to be available quite yet, but soon) First, would you recommend the GM CAI in conjunction with the Heartbeat? Second, the GM CAI is rumoured to come with a GM factory tune, if I'm going to install the Heartbeat right after the GM CAI should I just decline the GM factory tune or accept it knowing full well days later the Heartbeat provided tune would be installed. (And this pre-supposes I want to only use the Heartbeat tune (not a custom tune) so I will be able to have Magnusson's powertrain warranty in lieu of GM's)
Tim SS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2016, 10:27 AM   #17
JANNETTYRACING

Drives: BLUE CAMARO ZL1 1LE M6
Quote:
Originally Posted by Padre View Post
Ted, what's your experience with fuel economy on the PD's?

My last C5 SS build was a monster, and pretty much pointless on the street (D1-SC, roll cage and all). Before I went monster, some of my bolt-ons improved MPG, e.g. CAI, Shorties, HF Cats, lighter wheels, etc.

With this build, I want power, of course, but also something that can go 400 miles on a tank of gas (no E85 for me). I want a cross-country cruiser. From my reading, again Magnuson seems best in that regard when it is driven tamely. Your thoughts?

Padre
The Magnuson Heartbeat has an internal bypass when open in cruise modes it takes less than a 1/2 Horsepower to turn the blower.

Similar to an AC compressor it only gets used when needed.

My car still knocks down 27 MPG Highway.

Ted.
JANNETTYRACING is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2016, 10:36 AM   #18
JANNETTYRACING

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim SS View Post
I'm considering two mods to my 100% stock '16 2SS M6 Vert. A Heartbeat and the factory GM CAI.(which doesn't seem to be available quite yet, but soon) First, would you recommend the GM CAI in conjunction with the Heartbeat? Second, the GM CAI is rumoured to come with a GM factory tune, if I'm going to install the Heartbeat right after the GM CAI should I just decline the GM factory tune or accept it knowing full well days later the Heartbeat provided tune would be installed. (And this pre-supposes I want to only use the Heartbeat tune (not a custom tune) so I will be able to have Magnusson's powertrain warranty in lieu of GM's)
That CAI will not work with the Heartbeat currently, nor will the custom tune GM provides.

I would stay with the stock air box which will work with the Magnuson powertrain warranted tune file.

Ted.
Old 12-02-2016, 11:35 AM   #19
ender2664
Account Suspended

Drives: 2016 2SS
1- do you ever plan on fixing your website so it is not so ridiculous to navigate with a cell phone?
2- how much boost, if any, is it safe to run without a tune?
3- I know intercooling provides more horsepower, but at boost pressure of 7psi and bellow does it do anything for three safety/life of the engine?
4- besides Magnusson does anyone else offer a power train warantee?

Last edited by ender2664; 12-02-2016 at 11:47 AM.
ender2664 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2016, 01:05 PM   #20
Tim SS

Drives: 16 Vert 2SS Red Hot M6
Quote:
Originally Posted by JANNETTYRACING View Post
That CAI will not work with the Heartbeat currently, nor will the custom tune GM provides.

I would stay with the stock air box which will work with the Magnuson powertrain warranted tune file.

Ted.
Thank you Ted.
If I stayed with the Magnusson tune (for their warranty) and the stock airbox any idea what kind of numbers my otherwise stock M6 Vert would make at the wheels? I assume it would be a step down from your 575 RWHP and 581 RWTQ. I'm trying to make an educated decision between having warranty or having more power.
Also, is there less factory cooling on the Vert vs. the coupe? I thought I read this somewhere. If that's true, does it hurt IAT's and/or recovery time with a Heartbeat on a Vert?
Tim SS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2016, 03:07 PM   #21
JANNETTYRACING

Quote:
Originally Posted by ender2664 View Post
1- do you ever plan on fixing your website so it is not so ridiculous to navigate with a cell phone?
2- how much boost, if any, is it safe to run without a tune?
3- I know intercooling provides more horsepower, but at boost pressure of 7psi and bellow does it do anything for three safety/life of the engine?
4- besides Magnusson does anyone else offer a power train warantee?
Yes we are working on the site every day, you may recall our site was compromised a few months ago so we had to build a whole new site and I can tell you it is a huge undertaking to say the least.

Zero

5 psi and below is perfectly fine non intercooled we have been doing this for 20+ years with no issues.

Edelbrock

Ted.
Old 12-02-2016, 03:12 PM   #22
JANNETTYRACING

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim SS View Post
Thank you Ted.
If I stayed with the Magnusson tune (for their warranty) and the stock airbox any idea what kind of numbers my otherwise stock M6 Vert would make at the wheels? I assume it would be a step down from your 575 RWHP and 581 RWTQ. I'm trying to make an educated decision between having warranty or having more power.
Also, is there less factory cooling on the Vert vs. the coupe? I thought I read this somewhere. If that's true, does it hurt IAT's and/or recovery time with a Heartbeat on a Vert?
Keep in mind the Magnuson tune is dialed in for 91 octane and on the conservative side my car made 509 RWHP out of the box on 93.

Tuned I made 530 RWHP.

Stage 2 pulley made 555 RWHP

Stage 3 pulley made 575 RWHP all through factory air box and exhaust manifolds cats and cat back.

The IAT recovery is the best I have seen on any Supercharger I see no reason why you would experience any heating issues.

Ted.
Old 12-02-2016, 03:23 PM   #23
sub_ETCS_ret

Drives: 2019 Dodge Challenger Scat Pack
I was searching the Magnuson site and didn't find anything referencing the Stage 2 and 3 pulleys. Is this something that is custom made or from a third party?
"Submariners are a bunch of intelligent misfits that somehow seem to get along, understand each other and work well together." - overheard from a surface officer explaining to another sailor about Submariners
sub_ETCS_ret is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2016, 03:54 PM   #24
JANNETTYRACING

Quote:
Originally Posted by sub_ETCS_ret View Post
I was searching the Magnuson site and didn't find anything referencing the Stage 2 and 3 pulleys. Is this something that is custom made or from a third party?
You won't they are JRE offering
Old 12-02-2016, 04:09 PM   #25
sub_ETCS_ret

Drives: 2019 Dodge Challenger Scat Pack
Quote:
You won't they are JRE offering
Thanks!
"Submariners are a bunch of intelligent misfits that somehow seem to get along, understand each other and work well together." - overheard from a surface officer explaining to another sailor about Submariners
sub_ETCS_ret is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2016, 07:37 AM   #26
EDFHOBBIES
Dyno Show Queen LOL

Drives: 16 SS & 17 ZL1 Both Yellow
Send a message via Skype™ to EDFHOBBIES
Quote:
The Magnuson Heartbeat has an internal bypass when open in cruise modes it takes less than a 1/2 Horsepower to turn the blower.

Similar to an AC compressor it only gets used when needed.

My car still knocks down 27 MPG Highway.

Ted.
6th gear no blower cruise set on 70 to florida we averaged 26.5 miles on the way home after the girls installed the blower 24.3 i did 10 mile stretches with cruise on flat straight Interstate..

Kong Ported 2650, Crawford Racing Port Injection, Weapon X 112mm Adapter, NW112mm TB, Livernois Ported LT4 Heads, Lingenfelter GT32 stealth cam, Haltech Elite, and Carbon by Trufiber
EDFHOBBIES is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2016, 08:33 AM   #27
JoeAyalaM
Account Suspended

Drives: Audi S6 V8TT, Volvos XC60 & S60R
Ted,
Please explain the effect of altitude on SC systems, to be precise, explain the Delta gains at sea level vs Denver 4,500 ft elevation. Are the Delta (gains) affected the same, more or less than on a N.A. engine?
Thanks.
JoeAyalaM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2016, 10:24 AM   #28
JANNETTYRACING

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeAyalaM View Post
Ted,
Please explain the effect of altitude on SC systems, to be precise, explain the Delta gains at sea level vs Denver 4,500 ft elevation. Are the Delta (gains) affected the same, more or less than on a N.A. engine?
Thanks.
When you are Altitude handicapped you get what you get N/A.

When you have a supercharger you can restore that lost power from altitude Plus add additional power.

The Delta power gains will be the same you are just starting much lower so you will finish much lower than a guy at Sea level.

There is right about 3% Power loss per 1000 Ft elevation not including weather conditions, which can vary this number a bit.

You can however select an optional pulley to bring you to power levels equal to your friends at Sea level.

So in other words you can have a sea level pulley and a high altitude pulley in your glove box.

Feel free to call me for more details.

Ted.