Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Forced Induction Discussions

Phastek Performance

Old 10-14-2016, 06:22 PM   #15
AGP Turbo

Drives: All things Turbocharged
Quote:
Originally Posted by GirlyNFG View Post
My car is also a M6, I am still learning mine. so my 744rw & 129.9mph was pretty much the first time out with the car.
Yeah. I thought that was a super cheap shot on you comparing an AT car that I've been told has n2o to your MT car.
AGP Turbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2016, 06:36 PM   #16
sub_ETCS_ret

Drives: 2019 Dodge Challenger Scat Pack
Quote:
Originally Posted by AndyUK View Post
I'm going to be getting a centri, I don't do quarter mile so mine will be used for spirited road driving and track days where I never need to accelerate from 0 and can just keep the motor in its power band - and if I want a wider power band then I can either go the east coast S/C route, or fit a procharger with a wastegate
So what you're saying is, that for you, a centri is going be for more spirited driving on the highway or at the track. A little tame until you need it?

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk
"Submariners are a bunch of intelligent misfits that somehow seem to get along, understand each other and work well together." - overheard from a surface officer explaining to another sailor about Submariners
sub_ETCS_ret is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2016, 07:04 PM   #17
AndyUK

Drives: 2017 Camaro SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by sub_ETCS_ret View Post
So what you're saying is, that for you, a centri is going be for more spirited driving on the highway or at the track. A little tame until you need it?

Not the highway, we have some nice twisty roads around where i live where you can get on it. There's also 2 race tracks within about 30 minutes and even Silverstone is only about an hour away.

And yeah, I don't want to be contending with traction just pulling away from traffic lights. For when i want to get on it I'll already be doing 30+ so can just change down to get on boost when i need it.

I've had 4 previous turbo (and one supercharged) cars, so taking advantage of a boost curve is not unknown to me.
AndyUK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2016, 07:48 PM   #18
sub_ETCS_ret

Quote:
Originally Posted by AndyUK View Post
Not the highway, we have some nice twisty roads around where i live where you can get on it. There's also 2 race tracks within about 30 minutes and even Silverstone is only about an hour away.

And yeah, I don't want to be contending with traction just pulling away from traffic lights. For when i want to get on it I'll already be doing 30+ so can just change down to get on boost when i need it.

I've had 4 previous turbo (and one supercharged) cars, so taking advantage of a boost curve is not unknown to me.
Got it. Thanks for the info.

"Submariners are a bunch of intelligent misfits that somehow seem to get along, understand each other and work well together." - overheard from a surface officer explaining to another sailor about Submariners
Old 10-15-2016, 01:06 AM   #19
toohighpsi

Drives: 2015 C7 Z06 M7
Quote:
Originally Posted by AGP Turbo View Post
Yeah. I thought that was a super cheap shot on you comparing an AT car that I've been told has n2o to your MT car.
Reposting a members own submitted data is a cheap shot?
It's indeed possible that there is more in GirlyNFG's ProCharged SS and if there is, I'm sure she'll find it as she continues to hit the track and tune her skills and car. I was at the track when she ran the 129.9 and we chatted several times about the difficulties getting a good ET with a manual (I have a C7 Z06 with M7). Hence the comparison related to only MPH - which normally isn't heavily weighted by launch, tire, or driver (granted there are exceptions).

My intention was to point out that a peak HP# alone isn't always enough predict the performance of a vehicle.

N20? Which car is that? Are you referring to me? LOL, not the first time I've heard that in my 30 years of building boosted engines and drag racing, anyone is welcome to check. The car makes 610 RWHP with some good fuel (~200 RWHP more than stock) and runs 10.8s (about 1.2 seconds faster than stock). Given the general rule of ~10-12 HP per tenth I'm still really slacking, I should be going at least 10.4s at my power level. Don't worry though, I'll keep trying to improve...
toohighpsi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2016, 03:47 AM   #20
Marine Corps

Drives: 2016 2SS Garnet Red Camaro
While I agree that the roots-type SC's are impressive to look at and have some additional qualities (HP) over as above the Procharger. I'm not interested in being the fastest on the track or the street. My newly installed SC is plenty fast and I feel it in the the seat of my pants. I don't need to be quicker than that. For what? Besides, the cost of the unit and the labor to install it is much less expensive that the "roots".
Added Procharger supercharger.
Marine Corps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2016, 05:24 AM   #21
BradfordCamaro
SABIO

Drives: 2016 CAMARO 1SS
If you have done the research, have you heard the racket the procharger makes? Sounds like a broken rod.No thanks.

BradfordCamaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2016, 05:51 AM   #22
wnta1ss

Drives: 2017 Camaro 1SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by BradfordCamaro View Post
If you have done the research, have you heard the racket the procharger makes? Sounds like a broken rod.No thanks.
Procharger does offer a quieter gear set as an option when you order the kit.
wnta1ss is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2016, 08:20 AM   #23
AndyUK

Drives: 2017 Camaro SS
they also quieten down with use - they do tend to sound like a bag of nails when you first install them but after a few hours you just get the distinctive whine as they spool up
AndyUK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2016, 08:56 AM   #24
GirlyNFG

Drives: 2016 Camaro SS M6 w/ NPP
I love the sound of my procharger. Those who know, KNOW. and those who dont, dont need to. LOL
28"x10.5" MT ET Drag 28"x4.5" M&H fronts
PB: 9.569 @ 151.05
GirlyNFG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2016, 09:05 AM   #25
Fraxum

Drives: a M6 LT1 ordered From Becky!!!
Send a message via AIM to Fraxum
Quote:
Originally Posted by sub_ETCS_ret View Post
In another thread I tried to get people to post info on their setup and it was a pretty sad turnout. I appreciate those that did respond but I need more info. I research things to death before I purchase. Drives my wife nuts. My OCD is preventing me from pulling the trigger on anything right now until I get better info for ME.

I have done a ton of research on this and my brain is fried from reading about supercharging. I know the difference in all of them, I know how capable they all are, I know that people have preferences, but what I can't get is driveability for ME. I read that for a Magnuson and Whipple that you better buy more tires because you're going to be burning them from a stop due to torque. I read ProCharger is more driveable due to power coming on in midrange. I've also read that this is all tunable.

Help me out here. Here are my driving habits. I daily drive it in the summer, I don't feather the pedal from a stop light but I don't squash the pedal either, I get going. I drive a lot of freeway and I like to pass and get up to speed which usually translates to mashing the pedal but not slamming it to the floor. Very seldom would I take it to the track; more likely attend car cruises.

Based on all my reading I am leaning toward a ProCharger but most folks keep suggesting a Magnuson. I have already ruled out the Edelbrock (My OCD killed it from watching the boards about it's possible issues.)

All info is appreciated.
Based on your goals my advice would be to not supercharge your car. Your car will easily overpower the traction contol and the consequences can be dire. So if you do it and live in a congested area, you will find you can't really use much of that power on the street.

If you do it my advice would be to make drag radials your every day tire.

For your needs any SC setup would do.
Old 10-15-2016, 09:10 AM   #26
sub_ETCS_ret

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fraxum View Post
Based on your goals my advice would be to not supercharge your car. Your car will easily overpower the traction contol and the consequences can be dire. So if you do it and live in a congested area, you will find you can't really use much of that power on the street.

If you do it my advice would be to make drag radials your every day tire.

For your needs any SC setup would do.
Thank you.

Old 10-15-2016, 09:16 AM   #27
sub_ETCS_ret

Quote:
Originally Posted by BradfordCamaro View Post
Watched a few videos and personally like the whine. This leads to the daily driver aspect. Just like drone from an aftermarket exhaust, how bad is the whine? From what I heard/saw the straight cut gear is a bit much but with the quiet option it sounded pretty good.

Old 10-15-2016, 09:19 AM   #28
sub_ETCS_ret

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marine Corps View Post
While I agree that the roots-type SC's are impressive to look at and have some additional qualities (HP) over as above the Procharger. I'm not interested in being the fastest on the track or the street. My newly installed SC is plenty fast and I feel it in the the seat of my pants. I don't need to be quicker than that. For what? Besides, the cost of the unit and the labor to install it is much less expensive that the "roots".
Thanks! Your usage is probably closest to my intended usage.