Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Forced Induction Discussions

Bigwormgraphix

Old 09-11-2016, 01:35 AM   #29
hawk16

Drives: 2016 2ss summit white m6
Kaizenspeed quoted me $10000 for install with the canned tune. I know they are really busy and the only game in town. They have an excellent reputation though.
hawk16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2016, 03:20 PM   #30
tones2SS

Drives: '13 Roush S3 '16 Ram Sport 4X4
Quote:
Originally Posted by hawk16 View Post
Kaizenspeed quoted me $10000 for install with the canned tune. I know they are really busy and the only game in town. They have an excellent reputation though.
10,000?!?!?!?
No way bro. That's way too expensive.
Old 09-11-2016, 08:42 PM   #31
shrubby

Drives: 16' Black³ / 18' ZL1 1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by tones2SS View Post
10,000?!?!?!?
No way bro. That's way too expensive.
Jeez don't say that I just paid 7400 for the sc, 1200 for labor, and 450 for dyno. I'm sitting at 9050 and haven't paid for the headers yet.
Old 09-12-2016, 03:11 AM   #32
DisturbedSS

Drives: 16 Camaro 2SS
Supercharged (Edelbrock) a Mustang GT -what I got for my $8500 from 1 of the top shops in town:

1. A REALLY fast responsive car
2. A REALLY hot running engine
3. A REALLY expensive criminal speeding ticket

You also get a higher maintenance car including extra trips to inconvenient located specialized shops because you WILL have issues over time - seen it over and over from my speed obsessed friends and their S/Cs.

I ended up selling the car after realizing - way too late - Its a DD, not a track car, nor do we have tracks here and it was an enormous investment for speed you cant use legally - anywhere. The 2-3 sec burst was crazy fun going 80 in a 40, but 2-3 secs isnt worth $8500.

Every video I see of some Camaro driver going WOT are normally places that have no sidewalks or just vast empty land...wierd. Maybe I live in the wrong city or the midwest is just cement challenged.

S/C warantees - yea good luck on those, cause thats all you have left. For a few thousand more, wait for the 2017 ZL1, blow away everyone and have a waranteed super-car. You obviously have a ton of discretionary income.

I think its funny that all the car manufacturers keep advertising HP numbers and show their cars tearing up roads, yet the speed limits never go up. Dont get me wrong, I enjoy speed, hence why I paid extra for an SS - its how they try and fool you into using it legally. Hellcat yourself faster to the impound!
DisturbedSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2016, 06:31 AM   #33
Marine Corps

Drives: 2016 2SS Garnet Red Camaro
You're right. Every single car on the road that can exceed the posted speed limit runs the risk of getting a ticket. What's it all about? Stay within the lines, don't exceed the speed limit, and enjoy a boring life. It is the safe way, isn't it?
Added Procharger supercharger.
Marine Corps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2016, 07:06 AM   #34
LesBaer
FMPG

Drives: 2016 2SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by DisturbedSS View Post
Supercharged (Edelbrock) a Mustang GT -what I got for my $8500 from 1 of the top shops in town:

You also get a higher maintenance car including extra trips to inconvenient located specialized shops because you WILL have issues over time - seen it over and over from my speed obsessed friends and their S/Cs.

I ended up selling the car after realizing - way too late - Its a DD, not a track car, nor do we have tracks here and it was an enormous investment for speed you cant use legally - anywhere. The 2-3 sec burst was crazy fun going 80 in a 40, but 2-3 secs isnt worth $8500.

Every video I see of some Camaro driver going WOT are normally places that have no sidewalks or just vast empty land...wierd. Maybe I live in the wrong city or the midwest is just cement challenged.

S/C warantees - yea good luck on those, cause thats all you have left. For a few thousand more, wait for the 2017 ZL1, blow away everyone and have a waranteed super-car. You obviously have a ton of discretionary income.

I think its funny that all the car manufacturers keep advertising HP numbers and show their cars tearing up roads, yet the speed limits never go up. Dont get me wrong, I enjoy speed, hence why I paid extra for an SS - its how they try and fool you into using it legally. Hellcat yourself faster to the impound!
Next time maybe consider investing in some counter measures...they work.

A stock (warrantied as you put it) ZL1 puts down about 50 fewer HP than I do and I was getting the same 0-60 time with my M6 back when I had the stock SS wheels and tires that GM is advertising for the 10spd. I'm not even that great with driving a stick. So no, it won't blow everyone away. At this point though, I think I'd seriously consider waiting for it though, especially if you don't have a good shop near by. You have to factor in your goals, how much time you have left in the year to accomplish them and when the ZL1 will be available.

Right now, assuming it were possible, if someone offered to trade me a gen6 ZL1 (same year and mileage) as my current car, I'd turn it down. If I were to add the forged internals and fuel system components in the ZL1 to my car, I'll have spent approximately the same amount as a new ZL1 and have a mechanically comparable base car...however I'd also have a better SC, ceramic coated LT headers, custom finished Forgeline wheels, Pilot Super Sport tires, the interior I prefer and the best laser defense system on the market. I'd also bet my car that I'm paying half of what it would cost me in insurance even with the rider I added to cover my mods.

If I had a ZL1, there's no way I would be able to stop myself from modding it either, so I'm throwing the warranty out the window in either scenario.
ARH 1 7/8" ceramic coated full sys w/NPP; Maggie 9.2psi (85mm); Jannetty rough idle cam(TSP), tune and LT4 fuel system; Forgeline VX1 Black PVD (20x10,11); R88R 315's; ALPriority; BMR rear arms, bushings, DS loop; RF intake (red); nGauge

93 octane: 712rwhp, 654rwtq / E85 (E66 mix): 734rwhp, 674rwtq (SuperFlow Dyno)
LesBaer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2016, 04:30 PM   #35
My87z28

Drives: 1987 Z28, 385cid, '16 Camaro 1SS
Quote:

😆
"...have no sidewalks or just vast empty land...weird"

It's called living in a rural area. I live on the east coast about 20 miles away from Ocean City, MD. Yet I live in a rural area. These roads without sidewalks are county roads, not city roads. You couldn't pay me to live in the city, and you sure won't catch me driving my Camaro through one, but it's not my DD either.

'16 1SS 6M, black with jet black interior, split spoke gray machined faced wheels, and black front/rear bowtie emblems.
My87z28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2016, 07:28 PM   #36
tones2SS

Drives: '13 Roush S3 '16 Ram Sport 4X4
Quote:
Originally Posted by shrubby View Post
Jeez don't say that I just paid 7400 for the sc, 1200 for labor, and 450 for dyno. I'm sitting at 9050 and haven't paid for the headers yet.
No,...that's very reasonable!!

I think the other guy was saying 10,000 for the install and the canned tune. (I wasn't sure if he was including the mods as well, because he/she didn't state it as such in their post.) Plus, with a canned tune, all you do is load from the handheld and go pretty much. Not like a dyno tune, where it takes time to perfect, which costs time, which in turn costs money. lol
Old 09-13-2016, 12:04 AM   #37
shrubby

Quote:

I kind of agree with you, except I would add 'there is a time and a place'.

For example, since I've had the car I haven't missed a track day/night at either of the tracks near me that do them. Going again on Thursday.

It is my daily driver and I think I will enjoy having those 2-3 second bursts while commuting. My drive is ~46 miles one way, with 38 of those miles on freeways, with only minor congestion near the cities I commute between and where the posted speed limit is as high as 70 and the rest of the cars are doing 80.

Luckily I only have to be in the office 1-2 days a week and work the rest from home but that is still a lot of miles.

I agree this is not the normal commute, but the one thing it does do is let me spend time with the car in generally good traffic. (As long as I don't go in on Friday)

Never thought I would say I enjoyed any commute but there ya go.
Old 09-13-2016, 12:06 AM   #38
shrubby

Quote:
Originally Posted by tones2SS View Post
No,...that's very reasonable!!

I think the other guy was saying 10,000 for the install and the canned tune. (I wasn't sure if he was including the mods as well, because he/she didn't state it as such in their post.) Plus, with a canned tune, all you do is load from the handheld and go pretty much. Not like a dyno tune, where it takes time to perfect, which costs time, which in turn costs money. lol
Guess I didn't read the post closely enough. I've never had one installed before so no experience with any of it so a little worried I might get taken. Sounds like I did ok, of course, depending on the final outcome.
Old 09-13-2016, 02:07 AM   #39
DisturbedSS

Drives: 16 Camaro 2SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by shrubby View Post
I kind of agree with you, except I would add 'there is a time and a place'.

For example, since I've had the car I haven't missed a track day/night at either of the tracks near me that do them. Going again on Thursday.

It is my daily driver and I think I will enjoy having those 2-3 second bursts while commuting. My drive is ~46 miles one way, with 38 of those miles on freeways, with only minor congestion near the cities I commute between and where the posted speed limit is as high as 70 and the rest of the cars are doing 80.

Luckily I only have to be in the office 1-2 days a week and work the rest from home but that is still a lot of miles.

I agree this is not the normal commute, but the one thing it does do is let me spend time with the car in generally good traffic. (As long as I don't go in on Friday)

Never thought I would say I enjoyed any commute but there ya go.

Dammit, my acct got hi-jacked by a jokester. Guess that what happens when you leave yourself logged in on a public PC. Stupid me. Surprised it wasnt far worse.

Lets set the record straight, I have no issues with a supercharger! Ive installed 2 in prior cars but honestly have not had good luck long term. For anyone considering doing so, theres a really strong chance your car will have issues. It is true, when you do have problems you cant just roll into any big name shop, it will need to be a certified speed shop and that will be out of your way, guaranteed.

Its expensive and your car will never run the same again, just something to think about. If I had to choose again, I would pay a premium for a factory installed and warranted SC - as in ZL1.

Clearly this is an opinion, but is based on my 2 experiences.
DisturbedSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2016, 06:19 PM   #40
JoeAyalaM
Account Suspended

Drives: Audi S6 V8TT, Volvos XC60 & S60R
Quote:
Dammit, my acct got hi-jacked by a jokester. Guess that what happens when you leave yourself logged in on a public PC. Stupid me. Surprised it wasnt far worse.

Lets set the record straight, I have no issues with a supercharger! Ive installed 2 in prior cars but honestly have not had good luck long term. For anyone considering doing so, theres a really strong chance your car will have issues. It is true, when you do have problems you cant just roll into any big name shop, it will need to be a certified speed shop and that will be out of your way, guaranteed.

Its expensive and your car will never run the same again, just something to think about. If I had to choose again, I would pay a premium for a factory installed and warranted SC - as in ZL1.

Clearly this is an opinion, but is based on my 2 experiences.
Don't back off from your original post, actually it's a rush of sanity in this speed crazed croud! And some good advice to keep in mind.
JoeAyalaM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2016, 07:07 AM   #41
JANNETTYRACING

Drives: BLUE CAMARO ZL1 1LE M6
Quote:
Originally Posted by BradfordCamaro View Post
Awesome. Keep us in the loop.
Anxious to see what you come out with adding the Maggie and Headers
This should help.

http://www.camaro6.com/forums/showth...ight=heartbeat
JANNETTYRACING is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2016, 09:42 AM   #42