Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Transmissions

Bigwormgraphix

Old 01-08-2019, 09:00 AM   #43
FNxR3DNECK

Drives: 2017 SS 1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChickenPoop View Post
This. They know owning up to and having to fix this shit show correctly wil bankrupt them...again.
This would not bankrupt them, sure they would lose millions in replacing every A8 across the entire product line but that would not come close to bankrupting GM. I understand why people are upset but I still think some/most of the people in these thread about this are blowing it out of proportion.

I don't think this is the final fix for this problem it seems to me that this is just a bandage until they can figure out a effective permanent fix. YES they are going to do what is best for them, not us, there's no denying that. But do you guys honestly thing they are hanging us out to dry on purpose?!?! The ramifications of that would be much worse than just some pissed off customers, we are talking class actions (which are already getting underway), federal/state penalties, forced buy-backs, etc... It WOULD NOT be a good business move to leave this unfixed! This kind of thing just takes time.

And no as you can see from my signature block I drive a 1LE so my car isn't affected by this issue, but my 17' Colorado ZR2 is, and I had the flush done twice along with a converter replacement last year, so yea I'm not just talking shit as someone who isn't affected by this. Just my 2 cents
Old 01-08-2019, 09:35 AM   #44
ChickenPoop
Account Suspended

Drives: 2019 Plum Crazy Scat Pack Charger
They are already buying back vehicles as a result of it. I will get pictures of the different vehicles stacked up at the back of my cousins dealer lot that have been bought back as a result of the A8 issue.
ChickenPoop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2019, 10:14 AM   #45
speedup

Drives: 2017 2SS Convertible
Are they buying them back because they are forced to because of a lemon law?

If a new TC & Transmission will fix the problem why aren't they doing that? or does whole new drive train not even fix it?? :(

2017 2SS, Hyper Blue, 8sp, NPP, MRC
speedup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2019, 10:22 AM   #46
SSport16

Drives: 2016 Garnet Red Camaro 2SS
There will be no real fix, the A8 will be phased out over time, the 9 speed will takes it's place in some applications while the A10 will be used in others, mainly rear drive GM vehicles.

1100 Status - 7/24/15 (Ordered)
3800 Status - 10/13/15 (Built)
6000 Status - 12/22/15 (Delivered)
SSport16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2019, 10:24 AM   #47
TheWiseWolf

Drives: Camaro
Is this stuttering issue so bad to the point where the car isn't drive able anymore? what percentage of cars have this problem? if it was really bad why hasn't there been a massive recall?

This is very concerning since I was planning to get one but this kinda sounds like a deal breaker now.
TheWiseWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2019, 10:34 AM   #48
speedup

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheWiseWolf View Post
what percentage of cars have this problem?
It depends who you ask; GM said in that article that less than 10% of A8s have the issue. The polls here are in the 80-90% range with people having it.

If you want a Gen6, I would get one with a M6, or a newer one with A10, and avoid the A8 if possible

Old 01-08-2019, 10:42 AM   #49
Calvear0

Drives: Currently Looking for 2019 SS
GM is buying my car back so I'm guessing they know the new fix wouldn't help out my case. one more attempt and it would of been a lemon.
Calvear0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2019, 10:46 AM   #50
speedup

im curious how the buy back process works? Do they just show you KBB/black book value, or is there some haggling involved?

Old 01-08-2019, 10:52 AM   #51
Calvear0

Drives: Currently Looking for 2019 SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by speedup View Post
im curious how the buy back process works? Do they just show you KBB/black book value, or is there some haggling involved?
actually, it's a lot more than just that. Some people go through this and takes a couple of months to get GM to buyback. In my case, I got approved in a little over a month.
You have to make a case with GM and then you wait to see if they approve your case to be bought back. If approved, they will give you the option to buy it back or replace your car with another similar to the one you have. It can be a stressful process for sure.
Calvear0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2019, 04:22 PM   #52
ChickenPoop
Account Suspended

Quote:
Originally Posted by speedup View Post
Are they buying them back because they are forced to because of a lemon law?

If a new TC & Transmission will fix the problem why aren't they doing that? or does whole new drive train not even fix it?? :(
The way it is being told to me is they are pushing it as far as they can before it gets to that point then buying the vehicles back due to the inability to repair or the customer is just sick of their bullshit. If they had to put a new tranny and converter in every affected vehicle, it would ruin them again financially.
Old 01-08-2019, 05:20 PM   #53
jcastag

Drives: 2017 Camaro FIFTY 2SS
Honestly, my feelings are f**k 'em. Why would I care of feel bad how bad it hurts them financially? It will not bankrupt them but it will sure hurt them...and it SHOULD!!

They played the game of "ignore and and hope it goes away". This should have been made into an urgent recall from the start. Clearly the plan was to act like it was a very limited issue, only impacting a small number of vehicles.

I can bet you if you run the numbers the costs they have incurred in the band aid fixes over the last few years would not bee to far off from just replacing transmissions with the 10 speed.

What would the repairs be for a single car brought in for numerous flushes, then the eventual TC swap out, and in some cases a 2nd TC swap out, loaner car for the service period - which from what I have heard has been anywhere from a few days to a month vs. installing the A10 and reprogramming the ECM/TCM.

That for sure would have done wonders for their customer satisfaction and potential repeat buyers.

And the A8 should have been swapped out with the A10 for the SS 2 years ago instead of continuing to install a design flawed unit into the cars knowing there were going to be issues. But they continued to take the cheap way out (or what they planned), which in the end is going to cost them more to repair the defective units.

Now factor in the class action lawsuit.

Then factor in independant lawsuits.

Cant forget about vehicle buybacks.

Think negative press costs them anything?

And in the end, if it comes out that anyone (lets hope never happens) gets injured or dies as a result of the transmission failure, then what? We still have no idea what can happen if this continues or the long term consequences.

In the end, this could have been avoided and kept to a 1 year model run of the Camaro, instead of having it go into 4 model years still with the same defective transmission installed.

If the numbers GM claims are accurate, and only 10% of the total run of cars is affected, then this should have been handled a different way. But we all know GM is full of crap, and they know the affected car count is much much more.
jcastag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2019, 06:52 PM   #54
ChickenPoop
Account Suspended

Quote:
Originally Posted by jcastag View Post
Honestly, my feelings are f**k 'em. Why would I care of feel bad how bad it hurts them financially? It will not bankrupt them but it will sure hurt them...and it SHOULD!!

They played the game of "ignore and and hope it goes away". This should have been made into an urgent recall from the start. Clearly the plan was to act like it was a very limited issue, only impacting a small number of vehicles.

I can bet you if you run the numbers the costs they have incurred in the band aid fixes over the last few years would not bee to far off from just replacing transmissions with the 10 speed.

What would the repairs be for a single car brought in for numerous flushes, then the eventual TC swap out, and in some cases a 2nd TC swap out, loaner car for the service period - which from what I have heard has been anywhere from a few days to a month vs. installing the A10 and reprogramming the ECM/TCM.

That for sure would have done wonders for their customer satisfaction and potential repeat buyers.

And the A8 should have been swapped out with the A10 for the SS 2 years ago instead of continuing to install a design flawed unit into the cars knowing there were going to be issues. But they continued to take the cheap way out (or what they planned), which in the end is going to cost them more to repair the defective units.

Now factor in the class action lawsuit.

Then factor in independant lawsuits.

Cant forget about vehicle buybacks.

Think negative press costs them anything?

And in the end, if it comes out that anyone (lets hope never happens) gets injured or dies as a result of the transmission failure, then what? We still have no idea what can happen if this continues or the long term consequences.

In the end, this could have been avoided and kept to a 1 year model run of the Camaro, instead of having it go into 4 model years still with the same defective transmission installed.

If the numbers GM claims are accurate, and only 10% of the total run of cars is affected, then this should have been handled a different way. But we all know GM is full of crap, and they know the affected car count is much much more.

I am with you. The Camaro is only one of many products affected. ANYTHING that has an A8 in it is affected. That is the reason for the lack of action on their part. As I have said before, to correct the problem would end them.
Old 01-09-2019, 07:25 AM   #55
Klayman

Drives: 2017 2SS A8 Black
This week I made an appointment for the "second" fix. On the appointment I noted I had questions and want a call back.

When called the next day I asked if they would inspect my transmission because this is the second flush and I am concerned about the health of the transmission now. (First flush at 11k miles, now the shudder is back at 26k) The answer was no inspection at all, just the prescribed TSB flush with the new tool/oil.

I then confirmed that I had a 60k powertrain warranty.

I am thinking if I should even bring it in for the flush, or just keep driving it until it blows up....?

I am leaning towards the flush, just to get it documented.
Old 01-09-2019, 10:36 AM   #56
SSport16

Drives: 2016 Garnet Red Camaro 2SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Klayman View Post
This week I made an appointment for the "second" fix. On the appointment I noted I had questions and want a call back.

When called the next day I asked if they would inspect my transmission because this is the second flush and I am concerned about the health of the transmission now. (First flush at 11k miles, now the shudder is back at 26k) The answer was no inspection at all, just the prescribed TSB flush with the new tool/oil.

I then confirmed that I had a 60k powertrain warranty.

I am thinking if I should even bring it in for the flush, or just keep driving it until it blows up....?

I am leaning towards the flush, just to get it documented.
Did they say that they are doing this "new" flush?

1100 Status - 7/24/15 (Ordered)
3800 Status - 10/13/15 (Built)
6000 Status - 12/22/15 (Delivered)
SSport16 is offline   Reply With Quote