Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > V8 LT1 Engine, Exhaust, and Bolt-Ons

BeckyD @ James Martin Chevy

Old 01-31-2018, 11:05 AM   #15
KingLT1

Drives: 2016 1SS NFG A8
I agree with you...if you are worried about emissions and warranty then leave the car stock or pony up and get a ZL1. They are getting more affordable.
Per. times- 10.5 @ 137 w/ 1.8 60ft Full weight on 20's 1200DA
KingLT1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2018, 01:08 AM   #16
PackersFan26

Drives: 2017 Summit White 2SS
Dude I hear and see SO many cars with headers out here it’s crazy. Just make buddies with a smog guy and your good to go. Don’t waste time with the shorty header BS
Old 07-17-2019, 02:11 AM   #17
tspadafore
Camaro238

Drives: 2016 camaro 2ss
I too live in the bay area and would LOVE long tubes but it doesn't look like thats going to happen. From what i've found and heard is that shorty's aren't worth it but I still kinda want to get them..... 2016 camaro 2ss diablo tune, SW axel back and GM cold air intake is what im running right now.
tspadafore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2019, 07:28 AM   #18
SJFGTO
Oh Oh it's Friday Night!

Drives: 2018 ZL1 1LE Nightfall Gray
Shorty headers benefit mostly from high flow midd. Adding shorties alone will not be a good cost benefit mod, you already have shorties from the factory.
2018 Camaro ZL1 1LE NFG; ARH 2” headers, catless mids, ARH full exhaust, Lingenfelter 18% lower pulley, ATI Harmonic Balancer, Roto-fab CAI, EE-catch can, TM ported TB, NX Lid, BMR strut tower brace. Aeroforce dual pod interceptor gauges. Tuned by Vengeance Racing!!! 644 HP @ 6250 rpm / 689 trq @ 3660 rpm

Four that wanna own me
Two that wanna stone me
One says she's a friend of mine...
SJFGTO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2019, 07:50 AM   #19
Fraxum

Drives: a M6 LT1 ordered From Becky!!!
Send a message via AIM to Fraxum
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmypop13 View Post
You already have smog legal shorty headers that came with the car. Only longtubes would be worth the upgrade
I might disagree. There is a 2" restriction in the exhaust stock I have been told more than once. I wonder is that in the stock header or in the first cat If it is the header then then an aftermarket shorty might help. If its the cat then don't bother we need a high flow stock cat.

Shorties, if it eliminates the 2" restriction. could be part of a mild bolton build with bigger TB, IM porting, E85, and aftermarket stock fitting cats. 11s for aure on a V8. The other thing is you would have to look at the power curve change if any and possible torque gains.

The problem with LTs is they ruin the sound of the car for me. Been there done that.

2016s are going off warranty and have the cheapest tuning cost...

Last edited by Fraxum; 07-29-2019 at 08:07 AM.
Fraxum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2019, 08:20 AM   #20
avalonandl

Drives: 2019 ZL-1
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fraxum View Post
I might disagree. There is a 2" restriction in the exhaust stock I have been told more than once. I wonder is that in the stock header or in the first cat If it is the header then then an aftermarket shorty might help. If its the cat then don't bother we need a high flow stock cat.

Shorties, if it eliminates the 2" restriction. could be part of a mild bolton build with bigger TB, IM porting, E85, and aftermarket stock fitting cats. 11s for aure on a V8. The other thing is you would have to look at the power curve change if any and possible torque gains.

The problem with LTs is they ruin the sound of the car for me. Been there done that.

That makes no sense. The Shorty header OEM has no restriction. If the restriction is further back as you than the headers have no effect. The C6 OEM exhaust has a "squashed" section that has no effect on a stock motor. One of the reasons our Camaros sound so good is the tri-y OEM manifolds.

The Super Chevy article on the Blackheart shorty's shows a MINIMAL gain at best.

2012 Yukon XL Denali w/ 6.2 AWD
avalonandl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2019, 08:52 AM   #21
KingLT1

Drives: 2016 1SS NFG A8
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fraxum View Post

The biggest restriction is at the primary cat pipe connection. The oem header is around 2-2.25" at the flange, then necks down below 2" just past the entrance of the cat pipe.

On a 650whp supercharged car, long tubes only gained 19whp over factory headers with cat deletes. I have seen other supercharged cars pick up 35-40whp going from completely stock exhaust to long tubes with no cats. So still a gain on higher hp stuff but I doubt a shorty header gains much especially on a bolt-on car.

Edit*

I forgot Hotrod mag did a Hooker Blackheart Shorty 1 7/8 and gained like 7-8whp. Seems like a lot of work and cost for that.
Per. times- 10.5 @ 137 w/ 1.8 60ft Full weight on 20's 1200DA

Last edited by KingLT1; 07-29-2019 at 09:31 AM.
KingLT1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2019, 09:02 AM   #22
Ventmaster

Drives: 2017 1SS 6spd
https://www.hotrod.com/articles/2016...eart-exhaust/#

This should link to a pic showing the stock vs BlackHeart shorty configurations in an excellent Super Chevy install article.

They sure look similar to me...

O.K.- it didn't go straight to the pic,but if you click on see all 23 photo button you can find it.
Ventmaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2019, 02:50 AM   #23
JCunningham

Drives: 2017 2SS M6
if i couldnt do long tubes and I got a set of shorty headers for a 6th gen for free they would make a interesting door stop. there is nothing to gain with them. not worth the price of the gaskets to install them. the only restriction on the stock system is the cats.
real ZL1 wheels and brakes, 285/305 Michelin Pilot Super Sports, Pray ported Intake manifold, Soler Throttle Body, Rotofab intake, EFI Tuning Flex fuel kit, full American Racing Headers Exhaust, 1 7/8" w/ cats H pipe and mufflers. Full 1LE suspension, with BMR adjustable sway bars and links, GM aluminum cradle bushings, Hurst shifter with lighter reverse spring, TWM shifter knob, Tick level 1 transmission. I should have bought a ZL1
JCunningham is offline   Reply With Quote