Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > Technical Camaro Topics > Road Course/Track and Autocross

BeckyD @ James Martin Chevy

Old 05-31-2019, 03:05 PM   #43
carguy55

Drives: 2018 1SS 1LE
I just want enough HP to not get left in the dust by the GT350 guys on the long straights
carguy55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2019, 08:43 PM   #44
Chris V

Drives: 2017 1SS 1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by carguy55 View Post
I just want enough HP to not get left in the dust by the GT350 guys on the long straights
You’ll eat them right up. Make sure you get a good tune. I’d recommend Steven Rankins of 42 Auto Sport.

2017 1SS 1LE - 663 whp/623 wtq
Rotofab/Whipple/Kooks 2"/LT5 TB/LT4 Fueling/E85/MCS Coilovers/Ground Control/GOODAero/Apex Wheels/Race Louvers
Chris V is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2019, 08:34 AM   #45
NickyRacerBoy

Drives: 1LE
I've tracked with a few of them...lapped them. Then again fast car is only as fast as the driver
NickyRacerBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2019, 09:56 PM   #46
oneplustwo

Drives: 2018 Torch Red SS 1LE with Whipple
@Chris V - are you the only guy road tracking the Whipple!? I can't seem to find any other first hand experiences.

I've tracked with some GT350s as well. I think the stock SS 1LE is pretty darn close to it all things being equal. Depends on the track a bit too. The visibility is better and the sound is certainly amazing getting close to redline. I'll take the Camaro for the money though!
oneplustwo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2019, 02:43 PM   #47
Chris V

Drives: 2017 1SS 1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by oneplustwo View Post
@Chris V - are you the only guy road tracking the Whipple!? I can't seem to find any other first hand experiences.

I've tracked with some GT350s as well. I think the stock SS 1LE is pretty darn close to it all things being equal. Depends on the track a bit too. The visibility is better and the sound is certainly amazing getting close to redline. I'll take the Camaro for the money though!
I don't know of anyone else tracking the Whipple. I'd love to find other guys who are though

2017 1SS 1LE - 663 whp/623 wtq
Rotofab/Whipple/Kooks 2"/LT5 TB/LT4 Fueling/E85/MCS Coilovers/Ground Control/GOODAero/Apex Wheels/Race Louvers
Chris V is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2019, 05:11 PM   #48
oneplustwo

I’ll be there soon! Did you consider alky meth to help reduce IAT and otherwise improve reliability and performance?
Old 07-15-2019, 02:16 AM   #49
oneplustwo

Got the supercharger installed today! Took me two full days. Made a few "significant" mistakes.

1. The ATI super damper (harmonic balancer) hole pattern is not symmetric. I thought the marking for the indexed hole was just for old school cars where the timing markers are relevant. Obviously, I was wrong. Took a while to figure out why I couldn't get all the screws in and then more time to take it off, figure out the right orientation, and then get the pulley on.

2. I made a huge mistake of swapping the PCV and fuel lines. I was nervous about it when I put them in but thought I had matched what was in the photo. They're both at the fire wall, look exactly the same, and of course, I didn't label them at disassembly. The car wouldn't fire up once I was ready to press the start button and I immediately suspected they were swapped. It was really hard to remove the PCV line from the fuel line... probably because the high pressure inside. But I managed to get them swapped and it fired up! (Note: I did push air through the PCV line to get all the fuel out.)

3. The stock tune is supposed to be free based on the credits that come with the kit, but I must have made a mistake in the process. (The documentation is terrible on this by the way.) I ended up having to buy 3 extra credits beyond the 4 that it is supposed to need. I will say that Michael, from Whipple, has been very responsive over email.

Still need to get the bumper back on as well as get the cat delete pipes on. Then the custom tune next week. Probably need to do a little shakedown testing and double check tightness of pulley bolts and belt tension and coolant leaks and so on.

Next track day is Sonoma August 22... the REAL shakedown!
Old 07-16-2019, 03:00 AM   #50
oneplustwo

A little eye candy.
Attached Images

Old 07-16-2019, 07:10 AM   #51
Joshinator99

Drives: 2017 Camaro 2SS A8
Looks good! Now get it wrapped up!
Old 07-16-2019, 10:44 PM   #52
oneplustwo

Well, she lives and breathes! Man, the cat delete made it a lot louder than I was expecting. Not much at idle or cruise but once you get on it, it’s loud! Stock headers and mufflers still too!

I think I may have an intercooler pump issue. Hoping it’s just air in the system and I just need to keep filling at every cycle to purge. But not sure... hoping it’s not the pump itself or the wiring harness. Open to suggestions on trouble shooting!

Anyone have expertise with exhaust wrap? I was thinking about wrapping the delete pipes to maybe keep the sound down a bit. Not sure if it would help or not.
Old 07-17-2019, 01:12 AM   #53
Tim M

Drives: 2018 Camaro SS 1LE
oneplustwo: Very nice. That was a rather quick install! My experience is wrap doesn't decrease sound...just addresses the heat. Cat acts like a small muffler. I removed the primary cats from a previous car and the noise was excessive. Installed some high flow mini cats to get the sound level back within reason...I was surprised.

Looking forward to your track experiences!
Old 07-17-2019, 04:53 AM   #54
Joshinator99

Quote:
Well, she lives and breathes! Man, the cat delete made it a lot louder than I was expecting. Not much at idle or cruise but once you get on it, it’s loud! Stock headers and mufflers still too!

I think I may have an intercooler pump issue. Hoping it’s just air in the system and I just need to keep filling at every cycle to purge. But not sure... hoping it’s not the pump itself or the wiring harness. Open to suggestions on trouble shooting!

Anyone have expertise with exhaust wrap? I was thinking about wrapping the delete pipes to maybe keep the sound down a bit. Not sure if it would help or not.
You can run the intercooler pump by holding the engine start button down for 10 seconds (without pressing the brake pedal down). That way you can see if there is still a bunch of air in it and and see the coolant level in the fill port too.
Old 07-17-2019, 01:43 PM   #55
oneplustwo

Hmm... checked the fuse and it's ok. I'll try to jumper the relay today and see if that might be the problem. I also need to keep burping the system, but I can't hear or feel anything coming from the pump so I'm worried it's the pump. I may have to take the whole bumper off to replace it? Not sure yet but if anyone here has insight, would love to hear it.
Old 07-17-2019, 03:39 PM   #56
Joshinator99

Quote:
Hmm... checked the fuse and it's ok. I'll try to jumper the relay today and see if that might be the problem. I also need to keep burping the system, but I can't hear or feel anything coming from the pump so I'm worried it's the pump. I may have to take the whole bumper off to replace it? Not sure yet but if anyone here has insight, would love to hear it.
If you follow my instructions above, you’ll be able to hear the intercooler pump running since the engine will be off... if you cannot hear it, you’ll have to start troubleshooting. Make sure you have 12V going to the pump first. For the record, my installer felt the Whipple supplied pump harness was too short for him to comfortably use and ended up fabbing up a slightly longer version (very experienced with OEM-style harness fabrication). But we ran the system for a while with the bumper cover off to make sure that intercooler system was 100% solid before putting the bumper cover back on...