BeckyD @ James Martin Chevy

Old 06-27-2019, 10:05 AM   #6539
DGthe3
Moderator.ca

Drives: 05 Grand Am GT
Send a message via MSN to DGthe3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Martinjlm View Post
I’m guessing it has some positive aero benefit.
And/or maybe wind noise?
My sister's dentist's brother's cousin's housekeeper's dog-breeder's nephew sells coffee filters to the company that provides coffee to General Motors......
........and HE WOULD KNOW!!!!

Camaro Fest sub-forum
DGthe3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2019, 10:25 AM   #6540
NW-99SS

Drives: 1999 Camaro SS M6 - SBE LS1
Quote:
Originally Posted by Martinjlm View Post
I’m guessing it has some positive aero benefit.
Quote:
Originally Posted by FenwickHockey65 View Post
Pretty sure that's what it is.
Quote:
Originally Posted by DGthe3 View Post
And/or maybe wind noise?
Please explain - the "arm" is larger than the previous mirror mount.

Wind noise is the same in both trucks...
2017 Yukon Denali 6.2
NW-99SS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2019, 10:26 AM   #6541
Ryanbabz71

Drives: 2018 Hyper Blue 1SS 1LE
Mirrors don’t bother me. Really liking the 19. Just rolled 1200 miles

Ryan B.
Ryanbabz71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2019, 10:37 AM   #6542
DGthe3
Moderator.ca

Quote:
Originally Posted by NW-99SS View Post
Please explain - the "arm" is larger than the previous mirror mount.

Wind noise is the same in both trucks...
Size is only 1 factor for aero, shape is too. But beyond that, you have the speed and direction of the air as it gets directed around the body of the truck or spills off the windshield. All of it interacts and what may be bad in one aspect could be of greater benefit to another.

As for wind noise, I have no doubt that it sounds pretty much the same to your ears. But that won't stop the noise/vibration/harshness engineers from doing every little thing they can to hit their targets. A 0.1 dB decrease means nothing to you, but its important to them (or more accurately, its important to someone higher up in the company).
My sister's dentist's brother's cousin's housekeeper's dog-breeder's nephew sells coffee filters to the company that provides coffee to General Motors......

Camaro Fest sub-forum
Old 06-27-2019, 11:05 AM   #6543
NW-99SS

Quote:
Size is only 1 factor for aero, shape is too. But beyond that, you have the speed and direction of the air as it gets directed around the body of the truck or spills off the windshield. All of it interacts and what may be bad in one aspect could be of greater benefit to another.

As for wind noise, I have no doubt that it sounds pretty much the same to your ears. But that won't stop the noise/vibration/harshness engineers from doing every little thing they can to hit their targets. A 0.1 dB decrease means nothing to you, but its important to them (or more accurately, its important to someone higher up in the company).
I understand aerodynamics - the arm is larger, and at an angle, carries more surface area. Speaking in only theoretical terms of aerodynamics, a smaller arm, closer to the body would have a lower coefficient of drag.

The only way the ugly new mirrors are better is if the air coming off the base of the windshield (high pressure area) is interfering with the previous design's air flow more than this ugly new body mount design.

I have 2500 miles on the 2019 I drive daily - I would trade it for the previous gen in a heartbeat, but work leases their units and I have no chance of that.
2017 Yukon Denali 6.2
Old 06-27-2019, 11:16 AM   #6544
CamaroSkooter
Retarded One-Legged Owl

Drives: 2010 Black Camaro 2SS
Without seeing the actual 3D modeling of the two side mirrors in wind-test simulations, literally everything you're talking about is complete speculation.

Could be this, could be that, could be anything.

There's plenty of design choices on the new Silverado that have me scratching my head too, but sales will be the primary indicator for GM/Chevy of the acceptance of the new looks. Time will tell...

My VIN = 2G1FK1EJ9A9105017
Build Date: 04-23-2009 according to:
http://www.compnine.com/vid.php
CamaroSkooter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2019, 11:37 AM   #6545
DGthe3
Moderator.ca

Quote:
Originally Posted by NW-99SS View Post
I understand aerodynamics - the arm is larger, and at an angle, carries more surface area. Speaking in only theoretical terms of aerodynamics, a smaller arm, closer to the body would have a lower coefficient of drag.

The only way the ugly new mirrors are better is if the air coming off the base of the windshield (high pressure area) is interfering with the previous design's air flow more than this ugly new body mount design.

I have 2500 miles on the 2019 I drive daily - I would trade it for the previous gen in a heartbeat, but work leases their units and I have no chance of that.
A shorter arm could also have a stronger interaction between the air moving around the mirror, body, and arm together. Complex interactions like that tend to cause drag. Although how much of a difference a relatively short angled arm makes vs a straight one (with the mirror still at the same perpendicular distance) would require actual data.

There's umpteen other possible reasons for doing it this way too. Maybe the designer felt it looks better. Maybe it makes for a sturdier mount. Maybe it uses less wiring & extra plastic is cheaper than more wire. Maybe they're using a supplier who only does mirrors that way. Maybe focus groups said they like it more. If I was an automotive engineer, I'm sure I could come up with a dozen others. But without hearing from GM's design & engineering team, all we're doing is guessing.

Camaro Fest sub-forum
Old 06-27-2019, 11:46 AM   #6546
NW-99SS

Quote:
Originally Posted by CamaroSkooter View Post
Without seeing the actual 3D modeling of the two side mirrors in wind-test simulations, literally everything you're talking about is complete speculation.

Could be this, could be that, could be anything.

There's plenty of design choices on the new Silverado that have me scratching my head too, but sales will be the primary indicator for GM/Chevy of the acceptance of the new looks. Time will tell...
Sales have dropped below RAM for the first time ever...

https://www.carscoops.com/2019/04/ra...ze-truck-race/

I agree on windtunnel testing being the only acceptable method of proving the point.

Quote:
A shorter arm could also have a stronger interaction between the air moving around the mirror, body, and arm together. Complex interactions like that tend to cause drag. Although how much of a difference a relatively short angled arm makes vs a straight one (with the mirror still at the same perpendicular distance) would require actual data.

There's umpteen other possible reasons for doing it this way too. Maybe the designer felt it looks better. Maybe it makes for a sturdier mount. Maybe it uses less wiring & extra plastic is cheaper than more wire. Maybe they're using a supplier who only does mirrors that way. Maybe focus groups said they like it more. If I was an automotive engineer, I'm sure I could come up with a dozen others. But without hearing from GM's design & engineering team, all we're doing is guessing.
I used basic aerodynamic theory for my argument. No way adding wiring holes into the exterior body panel of the door is better than the still existent corner mount that is now unused.

I live with both of these trucks everyday...
2017 Yukon Denali 6.2
Old 06-27-2019, 12:17 PM   #6547
JerTM

Drives: 2011 2SS/RS M6
It's like GM is trying to downsize, their chosen method to achieve it is ugly vehicles. The new HDs are even worse than the half tons.
JerTM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2019, 12:46 PM   #6548
snizzle
Recalled user

Drives: '12 Camaro SS, '18 Colorado Z71
Quote:
Originally Posted by JerTM View Post
It's like GM is trying to downsize, their chosen method to achieve it is ugly vehicles. The new HDs are even worse than the half tons.
I warmed up to the LDs despite my initial reaction. The HD, I don't think it's possible.

2012 2SS 45th AE LS3 M6

Borla ATAK Catback
Kooks Stepped LT Headers
CAI Intake
Hexvents
VMAX CNC Ported Throttle Body
RX Catch Can
Hurst Short Throw Shifter
Pfadt ZL-Spec Stage 3 Suspension
Forgestar F14
Tuned by Frost
snizzle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2019, 12:58 PM   #6549
KMPrenger

Drives: 16 Camaro SS, 15 Colorado
I've always felt the 1500 High Country models looked fine, if not good. The RST models have grown on me. The regular LT and especially work models (and that first level trail boss) have not grown on me.

The HDs....all except the high county are ugly.
Old 06-27-2019, 12:58 PM   #6550
NW-99SS

Quote:
Originally Posted by snizzle View Post
I warmed up to the LDs despite my initial reaction. The HD, I don't think it's possible.

Agreed, the LTs are "slightly" better than my initial reaction, but these Chevy HDs are fugly. The GMC is a bit better, but the "updated" interior is a step backwards.
2017 Yukon Denali 6.2
Old 06-27-2019, 01:44 PM   #6551
DenverTaco07

Drives: 2017 SS 1LE, 2017 Volt, 2013 Pilot
I think it looks great!

- Clark G
Attached Images

Old 06-27-2019, 02:53 PM   #6552
DGthe3
Moderator.ca

Quote:
Originally Posted by snizzle View Post

Every time I see that picture, I have the same reaction:
GAH!

I would love to hear how the meeting went where that front end got approved. Personally, I think its fun to imagine that everyone present thought it was great -except for 1 person who was desperate to convince them all that they're insane (and obviously failed miserably).

Camaro Fest sub-forum

Tags
fenwickhockey65, gm questions, questions