Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > I4 Turbo LTG Engine, Exhaust, and Bolt-Ons

Bigwormgraphix

Old 06-23-2019, 03:11 PM   #1
Giri
Soon to be Millionaire

Drives: Blue 2016 Camaro
2016 Camaro LTG Rough Idle - New Plugs Didn't Help - Coils Next?

As I mentioned in the title my car has a pretty rough idle. If I have bottle of water in my cup holder i can see a visible shake. Anything in the passenger seat would also vibrate enough to make a noise.

Come to think of it, I also see and hear the vibration in things that I leave in my passenger seat while driving.

I just replaced both spark plugs and that didn't help the idle (although it did help with my gas mileage)

I have a set of 4 of OEM coils that I bought and was considering returning. Should I replace them? The car is at 70k miles.
Old 06-23-2019, 08:44 PM   #2
wookwook

Drives: 18 Camaro LS M6
did you say it was in gear or neutral? M6 or A8, just at idle? its stretch but..... something off balance on the pully's. or the flywheel or torqconvert. you could try swapping a couple of existing coils to see if theres any perceptible change. You could try just one new coil one plug at a time..

try a auto parts place that will let you get a scan. or, hit up a garage. the peace of mind may be well worth it at this point. could be a clogged or bad injector? get the misfire metrics. anything sound different? carbon on the valves? hows the power been. a good garage would spot it quickly.
wookwook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2019, 12:33 PM   #3
Giri
Soon to be Millionaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by wookwook View Post
did you say it was in gear or neutral? M6 or A8, just at idle? its stretch but..... something off balance on the pully's. or the flywheel or torqconvert. you could try swapping a couple of existing coils to see if theres any perceptible change. You could try just one new coil one plug at a time..

try a auto parts place that will let you get a scan. or, hit up a garage. the peace of mind may be well worth it at this point. could be a clogged or bad injector? get the misfire metrics. anything sound different? carbon on the valves? hows the power been. a good garage would spot it quickly.
I notice it mostly when I'm parked flying my drone, with the engine on and the car is in Park.
Old 06-24-2019, 10:36 PM   #4
cKurmaro
kurmaro

Drives: ‘17 Krypton Green 1LT
Quote:
Originally Posted by Giri View Post
As I mentioned in the title my car has a pretty rough idle. If I have bottle of water in my cup holder i can see a visible shake. Anything in the passenger seat would also vibrate enough to make a noise.

Come to think of it, I also see and hear the vibration in things that I leave in my passenger seat while driving.

I just replaced both spark plugs and that didn't help the idle (although it did help with my gas mileage)

I have a set of 4 of OEM coils that I bought and was considering returning. Should I replace them? The car is at 70k miles.
What did you gap the new spark plugs to?
cKurmaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2019, 10:53 PM   #5
Giri
Soon to be Millionaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by cKurmaro View Post
What did you gap the new spark plugs to?
I got a set of the OEM plugs which I think are pre-gapped to 0.035 - Interestingly my gas mileage went up significantly with the new plugs.