#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > CAMARO6.com General Forums > ZL1 Discussions

BeckyD @ James Martin Chevy

Old 03-03-2022, 01:41 PM   #1
55chev
Lamude Racing Engines

Drives: 2018 ZL1 Hyper Blue Jennetty tuned
hood insert

Anyone had the carbon fibre hood insert out,tried removing mine but it seems like its either bonded or glued in?
55chev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2022, 02:14 PM   #2
Mark R

Drives: 2018 ZL-1
It has double sided tape on the rear edges. You have to peel it back carefully
Mark R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2022, 09:25 PM   #3
PROMETHEUS

Drives: 2019 ZL-1, Shadow Gray, Sold
There is also 3 clips on the side closest to the Windshield, along with the double-sided spongy tape. Left/Right and middle. When I reinstalled, I replaced the double-sided tape, but did not pull the covering off of the side that rests against the insert. Makes it easier to remove again, if you have too. IMHO the clips will hold the insert in place. I think GM used the tape as a cushion, rather than an adhesive. I would suggest not to try and remove this in the cold weather, the clips are plastic and could become very brittle.

Here is a link to some great pics of the clips and spongy tape. https://www.camaro6.com/forums/showt...+center+insert
PROMETHEUS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2022, 05:52 AM   #4
EDFHOBBIES
Dyno Show Queen LOL

Drives: 16 SS & 17 ZL1 Both Yellow
Send a message via Skype™ to EDFHOBBIES
heat gun helps a lot w the tape.

Kong Ported 2650, Crawford Racing Port Injection, Weapon X 112mm Adapter, NW112mm TB, Livernois Ported LT4 Heads, Lingenfelter GT32 stealth cam, Haltech Elite, and Carbon by Trufiber
EDFHOBBIES is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2022, 09:49 AM   #5
george
ZL1 Driver

Drives: Camaro ZL1 & BMW M3/E92
Use fishing line and slowly run it behind the hood scope. That will help separate it without body damage. Wear good gloves so that the line does cut your fingers.
george is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2022, 10:51 AM   #6
55chev
Lamude Racing Engines

Thanks for the detailed info guys,perfect!, i know this may sound odd,but the reason for removal,is it just looks black to me,cant really tell its carbon fibre,so im gonna wrap it in 3M Di Noc carbon black wrap.so it actually looks like it should in my opinion.thoughts?
Old 03-04-2022, 11:31 AM   #7
ZED SLED

Drives: 2017 Mosaic Bk ZL1 M6
They are all carbon fiber. So you'll be wrapping a carbon fiber piece. They are separated as to be exposed and to be painted after manufacture. The exposed are hand selected to have the most perfect straightest weave then clear coated. These are the ones installed as a $600 option. The not so perfect ones are painted and installed as std equipment. Same process they did on the 5th gens

ZED SLED is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2022, 12:04 PM   #8
55chev
Lamude Racing Engines

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZED SLED View Post
They are all carbon fiber. So you'll be wrapping a carbon fiber piece. They are separated as to be exposed and to be painted after manufacture. The exposed are hand selected to have the most perfect straightest weave then clear coated. These are the ones installed as a $600 option. The not so perfect ones are painted and installed as std equipment. Same process they did on the 5th gens
arr i see
Old 03-05-2022, 06:48 PM   #9
SteveV

Drives: 2018 ZL1 Camaro 6M Red Hot
Interested to see how well the wrap goes. Can you post pics when you are done?

I too have the black painted insert and wish it were exposed carbon.

The weird thing is that I didn't order my ZL1, I bought it off a dealer lot and it came with the carbon fiber dash on the passenger side. Seems stupid to me that the dealer ordered the optional CF dash, but didn't get the exposed CF hood insert to match.
Old 03-06-2022, 10:40 AM   #10
55chev
Lamude Racing Engines

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveV View Post

The weird thing is that I didn't order my ZL1, I bought it off a dealer lot and it came with the carbon fiber dash on the passenger side. Seems stupid to me that the dealer ordered the optional CF dash, but didn't get the exposed CF hood insert to match.
I will do that!
Old 03-15-2022, 01:20 PM   #11
55chev
Lamude Racing Engines

https://www.camaro6.com/forums/attac...1&d=1647368169
Well pleased with the result. Best to use a 3m 1080 or 2080 carbon wrap.
Attached Images

Old 03-16-2022, 06:35 AM   #12
55chev
Lamude Racing Engines

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveV View Post

^^^^^
Old 03-16-2022, 07:14 AM   #13
KaMaRow
Account Suspended

Drives: Man
Send a message via ICQ to KaMaRow Send a message via AIM to KaMaRow Send a message via Yahoo to KaMaRow Send a message via Skype™ to KaMaRow
Quote:
Originally Posted by 55chev View Post
Thanks for the detailed info guys,perfect!, i know this may sound odd,but the reason for removal,is it just looks black to me,cant really tell its carbon fibre,so im gonna wrap it in 3M Di Noc carbon black wrap.so it actually looks like it should in my opinion.thoughts?
just asking but could we see a pic of your hood before? IM getting the carbon fiber hood and from what i saw on internet they do not look anything like black. maybe i missed something was your hood just the carbon flash black? because that is basically just black paint. or was it the actually carbon weave? just trying to understand in my own head here. cause now im thinking my carbon hood will look black LOL
KaMaRow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2022, 07:15 AM   #14
KaMaRow
Account Suspended

Drives: Man
Send a message via ICQ to KaMaRow Send a message via AIM to KaMaRow Send a message via Yahoo to KaMaRow Send a message via Skype™ to KaMaRow
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZED SLED View Post
wait they are? you sure? I mean technically we could sand our insert down clear coat it and have a carbon hood? i would also like to add WFT Chevy... charging us for something that is already going on the car anyway but you just didint paint it black. wouldn't painting it black and then clear coating it actually be more work for the one that is included free? They dont paint it and charge 600 more... lol
KaMaRow is offline   Reply With Quote