Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > Members Area > General Automotive + Other Cars Discussion

BeckyD @ James Martin Chevy

Old 01-10-2021, 05:09 AM   #43
wwiiavfan

Drives: 2017 1SS Hyper Blue
Said it before, with electric vehicles, unless the charging power is coming from a renewable source, all you are doing is moving the tailpipe from the back of the car to the top of the smokestack at the power plant.
wwiiavfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2021, 08:05 AM   #44
speedup

Drives: 2017 2SS Convertible
Surprised the logo isn't a check engine light

2017 2SS, Hyper Blue, 8sp, NPP, MRC
speedup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2021, 08:14 AM   #45
95 imp
Dumb Ass Deluxe

Drives: A Tricked Out Mountain Bike
Quote:
Originally Posted by wwiiavfan View Post
Said it before, with electric vehicles, unless the charging power is coming from a renewable source, all you are doing is moving the tailpipe from the back of the car to the top of the smokestack at the power plant.
And, how much land are you willing to clear/destroy for installation of enough solar panels to charge up the national fleet?
Old 01-10-2021, 08:47 AM   #46
ssmike
BL1ZZRD

Drives: '16 Camaro 2SS, '20 Equinox Redline
Quote:
Originally Posted by speedup View Post
New logo
Attached Images

ssmike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2021, 08:53 AM   #47

Drives: 2011 2SS/RS LS3
Quote:
Originally Posted by speedup View Post
The new gm motto:

"Don't complain, that's how it was designed".
90503 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2021, 10:17 AM   #48
COKen

Drives: '21 Camao SS, BMW 435i, M Roadster
I'm not sure how all this will work.

We have the people in charge moving away from oil/gas toward electric but they are not working to upgrading our electric production or electric grid, not to mention the need for many more charging stations. The west cost is already having rolling blackouts. I think the timeline for the move to electric cars is going to take much longer than expected. I don't believe that there can be a ban on gas powered cars in my lifetime because it is going to take a very long time to put the infrastructure in place.

Since I plan to keep all of my gas cars, I wonder if I need to look into how to make my own gas?
COKen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2021, 10:30 AM   #49
Petrol Head
Account Suspended

Drives: Fast if no one's looking
Quote:
Originally Posted by COKen View Post

We have the people in charge moving away from oil/gas toward electric but they are not working to upgrading our electric production or electric grid, not to mention the need for many more charging stations. The west cost is already having rolling blackouts. I think the timeline for the move to electric cars is going to take much longer than expected. I don't believe that there can be a ban on gas powered cars in my lifetime because it is going to take a very long time to put the infrastructure in place.

Since I plan to keep all of my gas cars, I wonder if I need to look into how to make my own gas?
The problem is there will always be people like me, who will simply never buy an electric car. Plain and simple. Hell I’ll never own a car with an automatic transmission.

They can’t force these on us.
Petrol Head is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2021, 11:12 AM   #50
396ssrat

Drives: 66 Chevelle SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by ssmike View Post
New logo
This is GREAT !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
396ssrat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2021, 12:38 PM   #51
396ssrat

Drives: 66 Chevelle SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by COKen View Post

Likely should because Gas is going up. I expect to see it at $7 per gallon is lunatic California.
396ssrat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2021, 12:56 PM   #52
Zapote21
Tampa Bay Camaros

Drives: 2017 Krypton Green 2SS
Meh. I have my 2020SS, but traded the wifes Camaro for a Bolt. I work from home, but she has a 50 mile round trip commute and it has been amazing to never ever have to buy gas for it. lol
2016 C7 DSOM
2012 2SS yellow vert
2017 2LT Krypton Green
2018 2LT Hot wheels crush
2020 2SS Shock vert.
2017 2SS Krypton Green coupe
Zapote21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2021, 01:06 PM   #53
UnknownJinX

Drives: 19 Chevrolet Camaro 2SS 1LE Shock
Quote:
Originally Posted by wwiiavfan View Post
Even then, that is an improvement. It's more effective to control the emission from fewer larger sources than many smaller sources. Power plants rely on machines that more or less run at steady state, something we can't say with our cars that revs up and down all the time. Steady state = more efficiency.

As I have said in other threads, I have nothing against the concept of EV itself. If I have the money, I'd buy a short range one just to do the grocery shopping so I can keep the fun car just for weekend shenanigans. And why not? If you could buy one cheaply, you pay close to nothing on electricity compared to gas, there is almost no maintenance other than tires, and you could set the car to preheat so it's already warm/cool as you hop in without wasting gas. You could just use it and forget about it. These are just from running cost and convenience perspective, I am not an environmentalist hippy

The problem is how the governments are forcing it whether or not it's practical, and none of them have a plan. It's just "we will ban ICE car sales in 20XX", never "we will help create the infrastructure for EV" or anything like that. I mean, it's not practical for everyone at this stage, and unless there is some major breakthrough that becomes cost-effective, I doubt anything will change. Even Toyota CEO says it's BS against the Japanese government that intends to ban ICE vehicle sales in 2035.

https://carbuzz.com/news/toyota-ceo-...ctric-vehicles

GM is just following the government's game. Gotta play the cards you are dealt. That's just how it is.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fraxum View Post
I am sorry but electric cars are a silly comparison to the undermining of our government. Get used to it. Electric power is part of the plan to save our world from us.

I am not a fan either of electric cars. But I know we need to go there.
Car emissions are not much compared to what airplanes or cruise ships put out, and good luck electrifying those.

Environmentalism argumrnts probably won't work for people who drive big V8s around, just saying.

Sent from toaster or something

GM Performance Intake and that's it, because driver mods before car mods

Past:
2009 Mazda RX-8 GT M6 Velocity Red Mica (Sold)
2015 Chevrolet Corvette Z51 2LT M7 Velocity Yellow Tintcoat (Flood totaled)
UnknownJinX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2021, 02:08 PM   #54
Petrol Head
Account Suspended

Drives: Fast if no one's looking
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fraxum View Post
But I know we need to go there.
No, we do not.

Seriously, you’re in the wrong forum with your views.
Petrol Head is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2021, 02:41 PM   #55
genxer

Drives: multiple cars
Fraxum & UnknownJinX,

Common sense tells you planes, modern shipping, many industries, and most plastic consumer products can't ditch fuel use.

More importantly, western societies are littered with bad-faith actors. And there really isn't an institution that hasn't been scandalized from boot-licking to a disingenuous elite claiming a desire to save the world (where OEM's EV begging for banker capital fits), or a fake opposition good-cop act. The Constitution is broken.

Last edited by genxer; 01-10-2021 at 02:54 PM.
genxer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2021, 02:43 PM   #56
Timbo-1LE

Drives: 2017 SS 1LE
Looks like an elephant facing left
Timbo-1LE is offline   Reply With Quote