Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Roto-Fab
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Suspension / Brakes / Chassis

Old 06-23-2017, 07:43 AM   #1
camarohead

Drives: 2010 ss rs ls3 red-white rallys
Drop springs regret

About to add "1 inch drop springs to my car and am wondering is the stiffer ride worth the lower stance. Been researching a lot on lowering my car and have read some love it to hate it post...thx
Old 06-23-2017, 09:14 AM   #2
jrhagen
Banned

Drives: Camaro
Coilovers.
jrhagen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2017, 09:24 AM   #3
KillboyPowerhead

Drives: 2015 Z/22
If it's purely for the look then you'll want progressive springs as opposed to linear as they will be about as comfortable as the factory springs while on the street/driving normally but will also give the benefit of higher spring rates when you push the car. I went with Eibach's Pro Kit and do not regret them, but then again I wanted them for the performance aspect along with the look, and didn't care so much about ride comfort.
Overkill/Self Tuned; Mace Camshafts; K&N Typhoon Cold Air Intake; Ported 80mm Throttle Body/Intake Manifolds/Manifold Spacer; Solo Performance High-Flow Cats, Cat-back Exhaust; Vitesse Motorsports Throttle Controller; Elite Engineering E2 Catch Can; BC Racing BR Coilovers; JPSS Delrin Radius Rod Bushing Inserts, Sway Bars; Pegasus Aluminum Rear Cradle Bushings, Camber/Caster Plates; Z/28 Toe Links, Trailing Arms, Upper Control Arm Bushings, Rear Shock Mounts
KillboyPowerhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2017, 10:55 AM   #4
VR Baron
SoCal Camaro5 Race Team

Drives: 2021 Shadow Grey Camaro 2SS 1LE
The Hotchkis springs are about the best 1" drop springs for ride. I liked mine.
VR Baron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2017, 12:55 PM   #5
Olddudesrule
Resident nomad

Drives: 2014 Summit White 1SS/1LE
Unfortunately, you probably won't know until you do it. It's fairly inexpensive compared to coilovers, but what you end up with is what you get, height and ride....with coilovers, you pay more, but you can adjust the height, and with some, can adjust rebound and dampening. I went with CO's, and never looked back.

You also have to ask why you're doing it. If it's just for the look of a lowered Camaro, then maybe springs alone are your best bet. There's give and take in almost every mod we do.....
2003 Z06
1965 FFR Cobra
2012 Nissan 370Z

ADM LSA Stage II, Roto-Fab CAI, Kooks LTH/HFC's, Phastek CC, ported TB, Mishimoto radiator and oil cooler, BC Racing ER Series CO's, JPSS 32mm Black Magic rear bar, JPSS front inserts, R1 Concepts Premier slotted rotors/Goodrich SS lines, Schroth ASM harness, MGW flatstick, Brey-Krause HB, Tuned by NicD, at Cordes Performance Racing.
Olddudesrule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2017, 01:27 PM   #6
BMR Sales

Drives: Race Car
Quote:
Originally Posted by Olddudesrule View Post
Unfortunately, you probably won't know until you do it. It's fairly inexpensive compared to coilovers, but what you end up with is what you get, height and ride....with coilovers, you pay more, but you can adjust the height, and with some, can adjust rebound and dampening. I went with CO's, and never looked back.

You also have to ask why you're doing it. If it's just for the look of a lowered Camaro, then maybe springs alone are your best bet. There's give and take in almost every mod we do.....
Very Good Advice! A Lowering Spring is going be performance oriented so the ride will be stiffer than Stock, but Teeth Rattling. It's a nice ride in my Opinion.

Yes, you will get opinions from people to Buy Coilovers. It's always nice to spend other peoples money, but the fact is most people don't have the need or the extra $$ to spend on them.

TC
BMR Sales is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2017, 01:50 PM   #7
JusticePete

Drives: Camaro Justice
Come to CamaroFEST next month in BG, Kentucky and find out in person. Get a ride, maybe a drive from one of the 7, 8 or 900 5th Gen there.
JusticePete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2017, 04:04 PM   #8
jrhagen
Banned

Drives: Camaro
Quote:
Originally Posted by BMR Sales View Post
Very Good Advice! A Lowering Spring is going be performance oriented so the ride will be stiffer than Stock, but Teeth Rattling. It's a nice ride in my Opinion.

Yes, you will get opinions from people to Buy Coilovers. It's always nice to spend other peoples money, but the fact is most people don't have the need or the extra $$ to spend on them.

TC
Does BMR sells springs and coilovers or just springs? Food for thought.
jrhagen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2017, 05:41 PM   #9
bayarea408

Drives: T
i got a pedders kit 1.4" drop and 1.3"

Although i have lower sways front and back to match, the ride is great, very little body roll. I have hit some massive pot holes never bottoms out. Takes it like a champ and pushes forward. The look and performance is worth it.
bayarea408 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2017, 09:14 PM   #10
Jrichards73

Drives: 2011 2SS/RS Victory Red
I have full coil-overs and I would recommend the BMR drop springs. Yes the coil-overs are fully adjustable but getting them set right can be a real pain. The more adjustments the worse it is. I have the BMR 1.4 springs on stock dampers, because coil-overs tend to need rebuilding so when they are out getting rebuilt the BMR's are in.

The 1" should not be that different than stock.

Updates: BTR Stage 2 VVT Cam Kit w/Smith Brothers Trunnions, Fluidampr, RX catch can, B&M Trans pan mod, Kooks Black Headers, Borla S-tunes, Eibach Multi-Pro-R2 coilovers and Swaybars, BMR Full Bushing kit with Toe and Trailing arms, RB Rotors w/EBC Pads, GForce 1400 Axles (now on order). AVH-X5800BHS in Scosche GM5201AB.

Last edited by Jrichards73; 06-23-2017 at 09:32 PM.
Jrichards73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2017, 10:00 PM   #11
camarohead

Drives: 2010 ss rs ls3 red-white rallys
Thx for the replies. I'm doing it for sure. I like a better handling car.
Old 06-24-2017, 10:11 AM   #12
DC5

Drives: 2019 Chevrolet Camaro SS 1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by VR Baron View Post
The Hotchkis springs are about the best 1" drop springs for ride. I liked mine.
I agree. I contemplated installing coilovers but ultimately decided against them because of the cost, the hassle of getting them adjusted to my particular liking, and the possibility of the manufacturer no longer being in business when they require rebuilding.

I'm very happy the Hotchkis coil spring and FE4 absorber combination that I installed on my 2010 SS. However, next time I may install 1LE or Bilstein B6 absorbers.
DC5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2017, 10:25 AM   #13
Top Off

Drives: 2012 LS3 1SS/RS Vert
I have the PFADT lowering springs and some other suspension parts. I love the way the car both looks now and the handling aspect of it. The PFADT are lower than 1" so I do have to be careful on speed bumps and such. If cost were no object, sure coil-overs would be installed. If I'm going to upgrade to coil-overs though, I'm not going with cheap ones. Like Justice said. Try to head up to Fest and I'm sure multiple folks will be willing to let you ride so you have an idea.
Top Off is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2017, 10:52 AM   #14
JusticePete

Drives: Camaro Justice
Quote:
Originally Posted by DC5 View Post
I agree. I contemplated installing coilovers but ultimately decided against them because of the cost, the hassle of getting them adjusted to my particular liking, and the possibility of the manufacturer no longer being in business when they require rebuilding.

I'm very happy the Hotchkis coil spring and FE4 absorber combination that I installed on my 2010 SS. However, next time I may install 1LE or Bilstein B6 absorbers.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Top Off View Post
I have the PFADT lowering springs and some other suspension parts. I love the way the car both looks now and the handling aspect of it. The PFADT are lower than 1" so I do have to be careful on speed bumps and such. If cost were no object, sure coil-overs would be installed. If I'm going to upgrade to coil-overs though, I'm not going with cheap ones. Like Justice said. Try to head up to Fest and I'm sure multiple folks will be willing to let you ride so you have an idea.
I hope to see you there.
JusticePete is offline   Reply With Quote