Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > Members Area > Off-topic Discussions

BeckyD @ James Martin Chevy

Old 12-08-2013, 06:00 PM   #1
motorhead

Drives: Love the one you're with
Guess Nelson Mandela wasn't a car guy

I didn"t see any threads about Mandela's death. Did I miss it? I searched his name, but it came up cold. I figured that he must not have been a car guy.
All the threads about that guy from that movie made me wonder.
motorhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2013, 06:59 PM   #2
kjkjr27
COTW 9/16/13

Drives: 2011 2LT/RS Camaro IOM
Bad enough everyone thinks he was Morgan Freeman
Old 12-08-2013, 07:19 PM   #3
SSteven

Drives: 2013 ZL1 Black
Or Dr. King according to Paris Hilton

Previous Camaro (sold 11/2015): 2012 2SS - Auto/RS/Black/Sunroof/MyLink Nav/SP 1 7/8" LT Headers w/HF Cats/Hybrid SW Retro Catback w/Borla Pro XS Mufflers/ADM Dyno Tune/C.A.I. CAI/Vmax Spiral Ported Throttle Body/APEX Catch Can/275x4 Squared Wheel Setup/Custom Fit Full Size Spare/Ceramic Tint
Replaced with 2013 Black Dodge Charger SRT8
SSteven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2013, 07:20 PM   #4
motorhead

Quote:
Originally Posted by kjkjr27 View Post
Bad enough everyone thinks he was Morgan Freeman
Quote:
Originally Posted by SSteven View Post
Or Dr. King according to Paris Hilton
to both. I'm surprise that Paris was even able to put that connection together.
Old 12-08-2013, 08:32 PM   #5
2012-1822

Drives: Black ZL1
I missed the Paris thing. Wellll, I wouldn't say I missed it. But I'm a sucker for punishment, I might have to look it up. Sounds ignorantly entertaining.

Was thinking about this though, I wonder if people around the world, say South Africa, pay much attention when one of our former presidents dies. Like for instance when Obama goes. He's a young-ish guy. He may have been out of office for a very long time, like Carter. But, Obama is a historic individual in this country at least. Wonder if the world will care in like 30 years when he passes. Maybe I'll be around to see, then again maybe not.
Old 12-08-2013, 08:36 PM   #6
Angrybird 12
7 year Cancer Survivor!

Drives: 17 Cruze RS, 07 G6 GT, 99 Astro
Probably because it could turn into a political debate...
Old 12-08-2013, 08:39 PM   #7
motorhead

Quote:
Originally Posted by Angrybird 12 View Post
Probably because it could turn into a political debate...
Any thread could turn into a political debate.
Old 12-08-2013, 08:41 PM   #8
motorhead

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2012-1822 View Post
I missed the Paris thing. Wellll, I wouldn't say I missed it. But I'm a sucker for punishment, I might have to look it up. Sounds ignorantly entertaining.

Was thinking about this though, I wonder if people around the world, say South Africa, pay much attention when one of our former presidents dies. Like for instance when Obama goes. He's a young-ish guy. He may have been out of office for a very long time, like Carter. But, Obama is a historic individual in this country at least. Wonder if the world will care in like 30 years when he passes. Maybe I'll be around to see, then again maybe not.
That's a good question. Well, how did the world react to FDR or Regan?
Old 12-08-2013, 08:41 PM   #9
Angrybird 12
7 year Cancer Survivor!

Drives: 17 Cruze RS, 07 G6 GT, 99 Astro
Quote:
Originally Posted by motorhead View Post
Any thread could turn into a political debate.
He was a political leader and I think that would be easier turned into a political debate over a thread about hood wraps
Old 12-08-2013, 08:43 PM   #10
motorhead

Quote:
Originally Posted by Angrybird 12 View Post
He was a political leader and I think that would be easier turned into a political debate over a thread about hood wraps
I bet if he was a car nut there would have been a thread about him.
Old 12-08-2013, 08:48 PM   #11
2012-1822

Drives: Black ZL1
Quote:
Originally Posted by motorhead View Post
That's a good question. Well, how did the world react to FDR or Regan?
Great Question.

A question could be how did the world react to Kennedy? But I don't think that's the same at all. I bet his death was mourned around the free world a little just given that he was in office and so out front and so young.

I bet the world paid little if any attention to President Ford passing, but then again I was in a bar when I heard about that and I said Ford died. People were like "who?" It was pathetic.
Old 12-08-2013, 08:59 PM   #12
motorhead

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2012-1822 View Post
Great Question.

A question could be how did the world react to Kennedy? But I don't think that's the same at all. I bet his death was mourned around the free world a little just given that he was in office and so out front and so young.

I bet the world paid little if any attention to President Ford passing, but then again I was in a bar when I heard about that and I said Ford died. People were like "who?" It was pathetic.
It's hard to say what makes people tick.
Old 12-09-2013, 03:42 AM   #13
Envy
Bully Proof

Drives: C5 COTW 1/31/2011
A thread about a car guy that died well before his time seems like an appropriate topic of conversation on a car enthusiast website...especially considering the circumstances surrounding his death.

On the other hand...a thread about the passing of a foreign political leader who was very old and by natural cause seems a bit out of place here.
Old 12-09-2013, 10:56 AM   #14

Drives: 2011 2SS/RS LS3
Here ya go for starters...

Nelson Mandela was 'a real fanatic' for cars

Drive On

Bryan Alexander, USA TODAY 7:53 p.m. EST December 5, 2013

Former South African President Nelson Mandela, who died Thursday, at a photo shoot in advance of his 90th birthday celebration(Photo: Chris Jackson Getty Images)
Tags

SHARE 96 CONNECT 15 TWEETCOMMENTEMAILMORE

As the world mourns the passing of Nelson Mandela, his human side as well as his accomplishments are being celebrated. And when it comes to his joys in life, one of them turns out to be an appreciation for cars.
Especially in his early days as a lawyer, before joining the African National Congress in the struggle against the apartheid government of South Africa, Mandela had an eye for great cars. It's all made very clear the in the film Mandela: Long Walk to Freedom, which just came to theaters, directed by Justin Chadwick.
"Mandela loved these cars. He was a real fanatic as a young man," says Chadwick. "If you knew Mandela as a young man you knew he had a love of fine clothes, tailoring and these great vehicles."
The British-born Chadwick, whose own father is a car enthusiast, said he paid special attention to getting as many unique period cars into the film, which spans the greater part of the century for the now 95-year-old Mandela.
"I was obsessed about having the best cars available. And we kept unearthing these great cars. We had over 500 vintage cars in the movie, which has to be some kind of Guinness record for a film. They are in the background and the foreground throughout," says Chadwick.
Of particular importance was getting the ancient Chevy that Mandela proudly drove as a young man. The filmmakers found a like model and Chadwick spent lots of time in the back seat shooting scenes with Idris Elba, who plays Mandela, driving down South Africa's winding roads.
The best thing about it was that the 1940s car was in the kind of shape which would have made a young Mandela proud. "The thing about the climate in South Africa is that it keeps these cars in pristine condition," says Chadwick
90503 is offline   Reply With Quote