Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > Technical Camaro Topics > Camaro Issues / Problems | Warranty Discussions | TSB and Recalls

Phastek Performance

Old 02-25-2021, 01:14 PM   #169
Kemo Savy
Banned

Drives: Make it a 6 speed in SS trim.
Quote:
Originally Posted by TP2SS View Post
Why bother when there’s this just a few inches away.

Yes but is that hole tapped? And if so whats it for?🤔
Kemo Savy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2021, 01:44 PM   #170
TP2SS

Drives: 2016 2SS Convertible
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kemo Savy View Post
Yes but is that hole tapped? And if so whats it for?🤔
Sound tube bracket mount. Can’t tell in the pic but it should be tapped. That car does’t have the sound tube installed. Guessing the engines are all machined the same regardless of what gets used. I have an unused tapped hole in the front side of my left side head which I thought about using for the ground cable, but there’s no decent routing to the neg lug.
Magnetic Ride Control
Dual Mode Exhaust
2019+ version Split Spoke Silver Wheels
Navigation
Silver Rally Stripes
TP2SS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2021, 01:55 PM   #171
Johnnyb2016

Drives: 2021 2SS 1LE
Quote:
Why bother when there’s this just a few inches away.
Yep, that’s a better option, didn’t even look there!!
Johnnyb2016 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2021, 04:30 PM   #172
TP2SS

Okay, so I just installed the cable on the sound tube bracket mount hole.
I have the sound tube so bolt is there, but I'd bet that hole is tapped even if the car came without the sound tube. If it didn't, the thread is 10mm x 1.5 pitch (I think...it's metric coarse so likely 1.5). A 1/2" length bolt will be sufficient.
The existing bolt is #50 Torx head.
I was able to remove the bolt and simply slip the terminal in between the grommet and casting boss. Plenty of thread to work with so no danger of stripping/pulling threads out when tightening. The grommet is captured on a flanged spacer, so the bolt tightens on the spacer and hence the terminal without "crushing" the grommet for the sound tube bracket.

I mounted so that the cable goes upward, keeping it away from all the pulleys and belts. It curves up and over then back down next to the fan shroud and then up to the NEG body post. It's not rubbing on anything and will not chafe.

The cable I used is 1/0 AWG with 3/8" terminals, which were perfect for both ends. Length is 29" hole to hole, but you could use 27-31" and be fine.
Attached Images

Magnetic Ride Control
Dual Mode Exhaust
Navigation
Silver Rally Stripes
Old 02-27-2021, 05:43 PM   #173
SSDan

Drives: 2016 1SS 6MT NPP
Quote:
Okay, so I just installed the cable on the sound tube bracket mount hole.
Nice! Thanks for posting the details and illustrated pics. We now have another way to get this ground cable attached on the engine side.

Happy hot starting!

2010 Camaro 2SS Cam/Headers/CAI/3.91 gears
476 rwhp/440 rwtq (sold)
SSDan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2021, 05:54 PM   #174
Kemo Savy
Banned

I bought a 24" 4 ga. cable today. Where is the best ground?...The belt tensioner bolt or the sound tube bracket bolt? I want to know before I cut my cable. I think I will cut it to 21".
Old 03-10-2021, 06:36 PM   #175
enzia35

Drives: '16 Garnet Red 1SS
I've had no problems with hot starts after installing the cable. Added it to the water pump bolt.
enzia35 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2021, 06:41 PM   #176
TP2SS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kemo Savy View Post
I bought a 24" 4 ga. cable today. Where is the best ground?...The belt tensioner bolt or the sound tube bracket bolt? I want to know before I cut my cable. I think I will cut it to 21".
Why would you cut it? It's raw cable with no terminals?

Biased opinion here but the sound tube bolt is the absolute easiest to do. Don't need a longer bolt as with the water pump install. Don't have to cut one terminal end to "fork" it to fit over the tensioner bolt (plus the nightmare if you remove the tensioner bolt all the way). And literally no other parts needed.

See my post a few above this. 24" will work fine with the sound tube mount location. I routed mine upward then downward to keep the cable away from the belts and give a nice lead to the body lug with no kinks or chafe points, but there's plenty of options to route it using a bit shorter than the 29" cable I used. Might even be able to do it the same way with 24", just a little tighter bends in the cable.

You literally only need a #50 Torx socket and whatever the body lug requires (an adjustable wrench works just fine!) to do it this way. Takes maybe 2 minutes to do the entire install!
Magnetic Ride Control
Dual Mode Exhaust
Navigation
Silver Rally Stripes
Old 03-10-2021, 10:15 PM   #177
Kemo Savy
Banned

Quote:
Why would you cut it? It's raw cable with no terminals?

Biased opinion here but the sound tube bolt is the absolute easiest to do. Don't need a longer bolt as with the water pump install. Don't have to cut one terminal end to "fork" it to fit over the tensioner bolt (plus the nightmare if you remove the tensioner bolt all the way). And literally no other parts needed.

See my post a few above this. 24" will work fine with the sound tube mount location. I routed mine upward then downward to keep the cable away from the belts and give a nice lead to the body lug with no kinks or chafe points, but there's plenty of options to route it using a bit shorter than the 29" cable I used. Might even be able to do it the same way with 24", just a little tighter bends in the cable.

You literally only need a #50 Torx socket and whatever the body lug requires (an adjustable wrench works just fine!) to do it this way. Takes maybe 2 minutes to do the entire install!

Yeh...just a raw 24" cable. I'll be putting my own tips on it. I'll keep it a 24" and put the tips on and try it your way.😑
Old 03-11-2021, 11:43 AM   #178
Invertalon

Drives: 2021 2SS
I have not had any problem starting (but honestly, got the car in October and never really had a chance for a 'hot start' condition in the summer heat yet). But for $20, I figure why not... Bought a 27" cable from BatteryCablesUSA and picked up a M10x1.5x20mm hex bolt at the hardware store to attach to my (empty) sound tube provision at the front of the engine block. Will install that when I get the cable in next week or whatever and be on my way. Can't hurt, at least!

You guys using a touch of loctite or antiseize into the aluminum block here? Was anything on the sound tube fastener at installation?

Last edited by Invertalon; 03-11-2021 at 11:59 AM.
Invertalon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2021, 06:16 PM   #179
TP2SS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Invertalon View Post
I have not had any problem starting (but honestly, got the car in October and never really had a chance for a 'hot start' condition in the summer heat yet). But for $20, I figure why not... Bought a 27" cable from BatteryCablesUSA and picked up a M10x1.5x20mm hex bolt at the hardware store to attach to my (empty) sound tube provision at the front of the engine block. Will install that when I get the cable in next week or whatever and be on my way. Can't hurt, at least!

You guys using a touch of loctite or antiseize into the aluminum block here? Was anything on the sound tube fastener at installation?
Yes, there was some blue thread lock on my sound tube bolt when I removed it. I hope the 1.5 thread pitch is correct, I guessed at it when I posted about it above. I know it's M10 because I measured that with a caliper, but had no way to measure the thread pitch.
Please post here if 1.5 pitch was correct, and if not, what the correct pitch is.
Magnetic Ride Control
Dual Mode Exhaust
Navigation
Silver Rally Stripes
Old 03-11-2021, 06:31 PM   #180
Invertalon

Yep, it was 1.5 pitch. I checked the bolt when I got home and threaded in no issue the entire depth.
Old 03-13-2021, 01:03 PM   #181
Invertalon

Installed my 27" cable just now to the sound tube mount in front of the engine block. Was able to route easily to avoid rubbing/chaffing on the smaller coolant lines, similar to TP2SS.

13mm socket for the negative grounding terminal, 17mm socket for the M10-1.5 x 20mm hex nut. I used loctite 242 and torqued it to 18 ft-lb.

Old 03-13-2021, 02:00 PM   #182
SSDan

Drives: 2016 1SS 6MT NPP
Quote:
Originally Posted by Invertalon View Post
Installed my 27" cable just now to the sound tube mount in front of the engine block. Was able to route easily to avoid rubbing/chaffing on the smaller coolant lines, similar to TP2SS.
Nice work! Thanks for the writeup and photos.

I don't think the later models beyond 2016 and some 2017's were plagued with this but no harm in adding the ground cable just to make sure.

2010 Camaro 2SS Cam/Headers/CAI/3.91 gears
476 rwhp/440 rwtq (sold)
SSDan is offline   Reply With Quote