#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > CAMARO6.com General Forums > ZL1 Discussions

Phastek Performance

Old 02-28-2021, 06:53 PM   #1
Can'tHave2MuchHP

Drives: Fast
Well, I went to fire her up and...

Good evening gents.

I know, it's been a while right? Well, I'm back .

Anyways, I went to fire up the ZL1 after probably 4 months of sitting. Fired right up, battery health perfect, everything checked out under the hood etc. I drove it about 2 miles around the block when the dash lights up like a Christmas tree. Service stabilitrak, service rear axle, and flashing check engine light. Car didn't sound right. Luckily I had been babying it, using hardly any throttle. I continued this to baby it home.

Got out my code reader. Code P0304. Misfire on Cylinder 4. Very rough idle, vibrations, surging, etc. Cleared the code, came right back. Opened the hood to start checking injectors, plug wire, etc. but it was WAY too hot under there. Plus I was a bit frustrated having issues on a basically brand new car so I bailed and went inside until it cools off.

What should I check for when I get back out there? I'm 1% worried that I had to drive it probably 4 miles total with the engine running in that state, I kept it ultra low load/RPM. I can get my flatbed to take it to the dealer but I'd prefer not to if I can find the problem in my garage.

Thanks guys.
Can'tHave2MuchHP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2021, 07:17 PM   #2
Joshinator99

Drives: 2017 Camaro 2SS A8
The misfire will cause the other codes, like Stabilitrak, to pop up too. Could be a few things: plug wire, plug, injector, etc. If it’s under warranty I guess it’s an easy choice of what to do...
Old 02-28-2021, 08:14 PM   #3
PROMETHEUS

Drives: 2019 ZL-1, Shadow Gray, Sold
Had the same thing happen to me on Cylinder #1. Turned out to be a fouled plug. Dealership replaced under warranty.
PROMETHEUS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2021, 08:24 PM   #4
EvilZL

Drives: 2018 Camaro ZL1
Check plug wires when your motor cools down. If you can't find the problem and you still have warranty, maybe let the dealership figure it out?
EvilZL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2021, 08:31 PM   #5
grampa_ss

Drives: 2016 Camaro 2SS
Check for corrosion in the coil packs/connectors. That happened to me after sitting for 2 months.
Old 02-28-2021, 08:53 PM   #6
Bangkok_ZL1
ZL1 Believer

Drives: 2019 Camaro ZL1
Quote:
Originally Posted by Can'tHave2MuchHP View Post
Good evening gents.

I know, it's been a while right? Well, I'm back .

I drove it about 2 miles around the block when the dash lights up like a Christmas tree. Service stabilitrak, service rear axle, and flashing check engine light. Car didn't sound right. Luckily I had been babying it, using hardly any throttle. I continued this to baby it home.

Got out my code reader. Code P0304. Misfire on Cylinder 4. Very rough idle, vibrations, surging, etc. Cleared the code, came right back. Opened the hood to start checking injectors, plug wire, etc. but it was WAY too hot under there. Plus I was a bit frustrated having issues on a basically brand new car so I bailed and went inside until it cools off.

What should I check for when I get back out there? I'm 1% worried that I had to drive it probably 4 miles total with the engine running in that state, I kept it ultra low load/RPM. I can get my flatbed to take it to the dealer but I'd prefer not to if I can find the problem in my garage.

Thanks guys.
Yeah, What's up with that???? Only visit us when you need us? How dare you, LOL. Sorry it took a code to get you back here. I'm definitely not a fan of the way this ZL1 does this code thing. I hope I don't have to deal with this for a very long time, if ever..... Especially since I'm doing all of these long trips away from my garage. Hope you get it figured our shortly so you can get back on the road.
Bangkok_ZL1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2021, 09:25 AM   #7
Gunkk
Thank you Al Oppenheiser!

Drives: Red Hot A10 ZL1 Convertible
Rats chew on anything?
Gunkk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2021, 10:13 AM   #8
EDFHOBBIES
Dyno Show Queen LOL

Drives: 16 SS & 17 ZL1 Both Yellow
Send a message via Skype™ to EDFHOBBIES
I bet anything its a bad injector.. 3 so far everytime its the injector it's never been a coil pack or wire for me.

Kong Ported 2650, Crawford Racing Port Injection, Weapon X 112mm Adapter, NW112mm TB, Livernois Ported LT4 Heads, Lingenfelter GT32 stealth cam, Haltech Elite, and Carbon by Trufiber
EDFHOBBIES is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2021, 10:41 AM   #9
Realist

Drives: No Camaro :(
Welcome back!

Interested in seeing resolution.
Realist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2021, 11:24 AM   #10
Crushed 1LE

Drives: 2022 ZL1(FEA suspension) Rapid Blue
Valve spring?
Crushed 1LE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2021, 11:48 AM   #11
az4783054

Drives: SWXXZL1
Four months of sitting usually has an impact on the battery if not on a maintenance charger. Since it 'fired right up', electrical related to a discharged battery can probably be eliminated.

Rodent damage was my first thought. Any indication of rodent nesting in the garage or under the hood?

Did you check the plug wire connections at the coil(s)? Did you put any fuel stabilizer into the tank before it was stored?

https://www.obd-codes.com/p0304
Old 03-01-2021, 01:34 PM   #12
Indyblue98
2012 RS 2ss

Drives: 2018 ZL1 2012 2SS WhippleCharged
Maybe Ethanol in gas went bad ?

I rarely drive my ZL1 , so make sure only Pure Gas no Ethanol .

Ruined a couple small engine carbs before I learned my lesson .
Old 03-01-2021, 02:21 PM   #13
Revalot

Drives: ZL1/1LE parts added
Location: Somewhere around Texas pines tress and smooth asphalt
Marine grade stabile is the best ! 3× stronger than the red, You can put a drop on ethanol crust build up(a wire brush will not clean it all off), and it wipes off like butter !
Revalot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2021, 06:48 AM   #14
SJFGTO
Oh Oh it's Friday Night!

Drives: 2018 ZL1 1LE Nightfall Gray
If it drove fine before it sat, the most likely variable is 4 months of inactivity. My wild guess is the fuel sitting in the tank. Water, dirt, a bit of corrosion. I might consider just filling up the tank with fresh gas, let it idle for a while, take it out on the road and burn off the old gas as diluted by the fresh fuel. Just a wild guess.
2018 Camaro ZL1 1LE NFG; ARH 2” headers, catless mids, ARH full exhaust, Lingenfelter 18% lower pulley, ATI Harmonic Balancer, Roto-fab CAI, EE-catch can, TM ported TB, NX Lid, BMR strut tower brace. Aeroforce dual pod interceptor gauges. Tuned by Vengeance Racing!!! 644 HP @ 6250 rpm / 689 trq @ 3660 rpm

Four that wanna own me
Two that wanna stone me
One says she's a friend of mine...
SJFGTO is offline   Reply With Quote