Homepage Garage Wiki Register Social Groups Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > Members Area > General Automotive + Other Cars Discussion

Bigwormgraphix

Old 03-19-2018, 09:31 PM   #1
motorhead

Drives: Love the one you're with
Bolt vs Volt for My daughter?

Doesnt any here have experience or can suggest which of these would be better for a teenaged daughter that will only drive on average 15 miles a day through the week?
Im leaning towards the bolt for the fact that she can charge it at home and not worry about buying gas. I like the idea of the tax credit. I would really like to test the waters with an EV or gas+EV such as the Volt.

Thanks in advance
motorhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2018, 10:11 PM   #2
DGthe3
Moderator.ca

Drives: 05 Grand Am GT
Send a message via MSN to DGthe3
If she's only driving 15 miles a day, she isn't going to need to buy gas for the Volt. And she can charge it at home too.
My sister's dentist's brother's cousin's housekeeper's dog-breeder's nephew sells coffee filters to the company that provides coffee to General Motors......
........and HE WOULD KNOW!!!!

Camaro Fest sub-forum
DGthe3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2018, 08:13 AM   #3
snizzle
Recalled user

Drives: '12 Camaro SS, '18 Colorado Z71
The Volt. One of the highest rated cars GM has produced. No range anxiety. You won't likely be picking her up somewhere in the future. And they aren't selling, right? so deals to be had....??

2012 2SS 45th AE LS3 M6

Borla ATAK Catback
Kooks Stepped LT Headers
CAI Intake
Hexvents
VMAX CNC Ported Throttle Body
RX Catch Can
Hurst Short Throw Shifter
Pfadt ZL-Spec Stage 3 Suspension
Forgestar F14
Tuned by Frost
snizzle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2018, 09:21 AM   #4
BMR Sales

Drives: Race Car
If new, I Vote for the Bolt - it's a fun car.

If shopping Used, try to find a Cadillac ELR. A little higher price than a Volt but nicer. They have a 8 year/100,000 mile warranty on the Volt's 16 kWh battery pack
BMR Sales is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2018, 10:12 AM   #5
FenwickHockey65
General Motors Aficionado

Drives: 2023 GMC Canyon, 2020 Colorado
Send a message via AIM to FenwickHockey65
It kinda depends, whichever one she goes with, she'll likely never have to use gas for her normal, daily commute. The issue arises if she ever has to go beyond 200 miles for some reason. At that point, with a Bolt EV she'd have to rent a car, borrow yours, or make sure there's a charge point near her destination.

Bolt EV may be the first practical/affordable EV, but it still has a lot of limitations.
Old 03-20-2018, 10:48 AM   #6
SSEssence
Instagram: Sangstah

Drives: 2019 Camaro 1LE
I would say a Volt. If she does need to go farther, she has the option to use gas but also charge at home for short trips. Also the Volt is bigger than the Bolt and probably safer in an accident since the Bolt is a tiny car.

Follow the build https://www.camaro6.com/forums/showthread.php?t=612717
SSEssence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2018, 06:35 PM   #7
Iron Lung Jimmy

Drives: Iron Lung, Jimmy
Volt.
Iron Lung Jimmy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2018, 08:21 PM   #8
motorhead

Drives: Love the one you're with
Thank you for all the replies. I really like the idea of trying all electric ,but im also thinking a Volt may be better if she ends up going to college away from home. Just trying to keep gas at a minimum. These are interesting times we are in. We are going to check out both. I can remember making fun of the volt when it first came out. Now Im considering purchasing one. Go figure.
motorhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2018, 09:27 PM   #9
DGthe3
Moderator.ca

Drives: 05 Grand Am GT
Send a message via MSN to DGthe3
Also, isn't the Volt a few grand cheaper? That could buy a lifetime (or two) worth of gas for it.
My sister's dentist's brother's cousin's housekeeper's dog-breeder's nephew sells coffee filters to the company that provides coffee to General Motors......
........and HE WOULD KNOW!!!!

Camaro Fest sub-forum
DGthe3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2018, 10:26 AM   #10
Martinjlm
Retired from GM

Drives: 2017 Camaro Fifty SS Convertible
We’re on our second Volt. Love it. Are you talking lease or purchase? If you are talking lease and the vehicle will be returned BEFORE she goes off to college, I would recommend the Bolt. Unless the lease deal on the Volt is significantly better. If it is going to be a purchase, you should consider a Volt or a Bolt with the fast charge option (@ $750 I think). It will add up to 90 miles of charge in 30 minutes. Volt does not have fast charge option, but truthfully, doesn’t need it.

Another consideration....whichever one you get will charge fastest if you install a 240V charge station in your garage or driveway. The Volt has an 18.1 kWh battery and will get to full charge a lot faster than the Bolt which has a 60 kWh battery. Especially if you choose to NOT add the charge station and charge at 110V. At 15 miles a day, it may not make a difference, but should that 15 miles a day change (cheerleader practice, swim team, after school job) it would be something to think about.
A8 | MRC | NPP | Nav | HUD | GM Performance CAI | Tony Mamo LT1 V2 Ported TB | Kooks 1-7/8” LT Headers | FlexFuel Tune | Thinkware Q800 Pro front and rear dash cam | Charcoal Tint for Taillights and 3rd Brakelight | Orange and Carbon Fiber Bowties | 1LE Wheels in Gunmetal Gray | Carbon Fiber Interior Overlays | Novistretch bra and mirror covers | Tow hitch for bicycle rack |

Martinjlm is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2018, 12:43 PM   #11
DidierAubin87

Drives: 2011 Black Chevrolet
I will vote for Volt, it will be very fun when she drives it )
DidierAubin87 is offline   Reply With Quote