Homepage Garage Wiki Register Social Groups Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > CAMARO6.com General Forums > 2016+ Camaro: 6th Gen Camaro general forum

Phastek Performance

Old 12-10-2017, 03:00 AM   #43
RLHMARINES
1st Civ. Div.

Drives: Camaroless for now...RIP "Big SexZ"
Pratt & Miller Engineering and Fabrication, also known as Corvette Racing, helped with the design of the ZL1 1LE carbon fiber wing.

Quote:
The rear wing is the first true airfoil attached to a GM production car. It was developed by Pratt & Miller in the Mercedes-AMG Formula 1 shop in Brackley, England. After the 1LE’s first testing session at the Nürburgring, engineers from the team convinced Matt Scrase—engineering manager for the Camaro 1LEs and ZL1s—to raise the wing by 2.8 inches. At 150 mph, the production version of the wing produces 300 pounds of downforce on the rear axle.
Old 12-10-2017, 03:42 AM   #44
Glen e
Retired from Car mfrs....

Drives: 2LT RS/HR-V
Yup, 150 MILES PER HOUR.....so the next time I race Daytona or Sebring, I’ll choose my spoiler/wing/splitter combo wisely. But for going to grandmas house on the interstate and getting groceries, I’ll choose the combo that looks best TO ME, because that’s all that matters....

Actually, there is one spoiler that does work at 60 mph, the one I mount at the top of the rear window, because the rear glass stays cleaner in a rainstorm at 60 mph....
Glen e is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2017, 04:44 AM   #45
Evil-Bee-NH
603 Camaros

Drives: 2017 NGM I4 1LT Coupe
Quote:
Originally Posted by Glen e View Post
Yup, 150 MILES PER HOUR.....so the next time I race Daytona or Sebring, I’ll choose my spoiler/wing/splitter combo wisely. But for going to grandmas house on the interstate and getting groceries, I’ll choose the combo that looks best TO ME, because that’s all that matters....

Actually, there is one spoiler that does work at 60 mph, the one I mount at the top of the rear window, because the rear glass stays cleaner in a rainstorm at 60 mph....
Well said. I like the ZL1 1LE Airfoil myself but not enough to pay $2800 for it. Everyone has their preferences and opinions to bad we feel the need to whine while sharing them sometimes.

MY 2017 I4 CAMARO BUILD JOURNAL | YOUTUBE | INSTAGRAM | 316RWHP - 385 RWTQ HPTUNERS DYNO TUNE | 12.693s @ 105MPH 1/4 Mile
Evil-Bee-NH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2017, 06:14 AM   #46
Bluecyclone

Drives: 2014 Cyclone mustang
Wicker bills?

Downforce begins at what significant speed? 85,90, 100+, anyone know? I like the ZL1 Addons "wicker bills" and may purchase one in carbon fiber wrap for an accent piece for my pony.
Attached Images

Old 12-10-2017, 07:04 AM   #47
redcoats1976

Drives: LT W/2LT,blue metallic
Quote:
Originally Posted by motorhead View Post
I get that, and I think it also looks good on the Gen6. It's also still a high wing spoiler that most people hated to see on the Camaro. GM transformed people's opion of what is cool by putting it on the best car, and saying it makes 350lbs of downforce at 150mph. Now all of the sudden high wing spoilers are cool. They even made fun of the one that was set up for racing with an higher spoiler like the current one. Nice to see people opening their mines. It is crazy how easily humans can be manipulated though.

The real funny thing is that they were never ricer. They always came out of races. Anyone remember the king of the highwing spoilers? They came in a kick Chevy and Ford butt until NASCAR had to outlaw them.
remember how many of them sat on dealers lots because the public perception was they were ugly at the time?some were reconverted back without wings and droop snoot just so they would sell.now the price on these cars is crazy.i like the 6th gen high spoiler but it wouldnt go with the 5th gen body lines IMO.
redcoats1976 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2017, 08:03 AM   #48
motorhead

Drives: Love the one you're with
Quote:
Originally Posted by redcoats1976 View Post
remember how many of them sat on dealers lots because the public perception was they were ugly at the time?some were reconverted back without wings and droop snoot just so they would sell.now the price on these cars is crazy.i like the 6th gen high spoiler but it wouldnt go with the 5th gen body lines IMO.
You mean the Superbirds? Yeah, i didnt know anyone that liked them. Ugly for sure. If I had one now, I would sell it and get a cool looking MOPAR.

I think GM got it right with the 5th gen and 6thgen in the spoiler department. I wouldnt mind seeing what a blade type looks like on the 6th gen though.
motorhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2017, 08:14 AM   #49
hotlap

Drives: 20 1LE 2SS M6 Rally Green
Quote:
Originally Posted by Glen e View Post

The ZL1-1LE and SS-1LE are track packages with functional aero that was designed in the wind tunnel. Complete packages with proper cooling, brakes and suspension tuning to actually work with a warranty to actually use it as a hobbyists.

When bolted onto a SS or LT for the ride to grandma's house it's for style only. So technically, your LT, or my SS, with a blade is a mild form of what the ricer's do.

"the trouble with our liberal friends is not that they're ignorant; it's just that they know so much that isn't so.”
Ronald Reagan -
hotlap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2017, 08:35 AM   #50
motorhead

Quote:
Originally Posted by hotlap View Post
A ZL1-1LE and SS-1LE are track packages with functional aero that was designed in the wind tunnel. Complete packages with proper cooling, brakes and suspension tuning to actually work with a warranty to actually use it as a hobbyists.

When bolted onto a SS or LT for the ride to grandma's house it's for style only. So technically, your LT, or my SS, with a blade is a mild form of what the ricer's do.
Perception of what makes something ricer I guess is the question. Im not trying to pick on you or or ride ,but that sticker above your tire could be considered somewhat ricer then. No?

After all ricers like their stickers and they have no functionality other than to create a look.

See where Im heading with this? GM has taken and transformed a once ricer part into non ricer status just by putting it on the best car. To me something either looks ricer or it doesn't no matter which model its on. Once again, Im just amazed that its consider cool now and people with every model are asking about putting it on their Camaros. Back in 09 to10 they would have gotten laughed off the forums even if the current one was the one offered back then.
Old 12-10-2017, 08:46 AM   #51
hotlap

Quote:
Perception of what makes something ricer I guess is the question. Im not trying to pick on you or or ride ,but that sticker above your tire could be considered somewhat ricer then. No?

After all ricers like their stickers and they have no functionality other than to create a look.

See where Im heading with this? GM has taken and transformed a once ricer part into non ricer status just by putting it on the best car. To me something either looks ricer or it doesn't no matter which model its on. Once again, Im just amazed that its consider cool now and people with every model are asking about putting it on their Camaros. Back in 09 to10 they would have gotten laughed off the forums even if the current one was the one offered back then.
I'm with you but with a difference. Ricers took a functional aero wing and bolted it to an import just because they like the look. The ACR, ZR1 and ZL1-1LE have a wing because it is needed to achieve a performance goal. It is a functional part of the package.

My decal, blade spoiler and rims are because I like the look. Ricers are no different than when guys put air shocks and 50s on the back of a Nova in the early 70s.

"the trouble with our liberal friends is not that they're ignorant; it's just that they know so much that isn't so.”
Ronald Reagan -
Old 12-10-2017, 08:58 AM   #52
Gunkk
Thank you Al Oppenheiser!

Drives: Red Hot A10 ZL1 Convertible
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluecyclone View Post
Downforce begins at what significant speed? 85,90, 100+, anyone know? I like the ZL1 Addons "wicker bills" and may purchase one in carbon fiber wrap for an accent piece for my pony.
Spoilers do not generate downforce. They create turbulence, "spoiling" the otherwise high-speed low-pressure laminar airflow over the tail that would otherwise result in lift. A wicker bill on a spoiler can improve the performance of the spoiler... creating more turbulence at the expense of increased drag.

Wings create downforce (if you look closely at a proper wing, it's shape is an upside down airplane wing). A wicker bill on a wing (like a flap on an airplane) can increase the "lift" effect of the wing effect, improving downforce at the expense of increased drag.

What speed they take effect depends on many factors (size of the WB, spoiler, wing, etc.). Generally speaking, if the spoiler or wing has effect 'X' at speed 'Y' then a properly designed WB will give a 1-2% improvement in performance at speed 'Y'.

But since we're talking about looks in this thread ... you'll get most of your WB improvement at speed zero.
Gunkk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2017, 09:12 AM   #53
motorhead

Quote:
I'm with you but with a difference. Ricers took a functional aero wing and bolted it to an import just because they like the look. The ACR, ZR1 and ZL1-1LE have a wing because it is needed to achieve a performance goal. It is a functional part of the package.

My decal, blade spoiler and rims are because I like the look. Ricers are no different than when guys put air shocks and 50s on the back of a Nova in the early 70s.
We had to put airshocks on to fit our fat Cragers up under the ass end. That wasnt ricer. It was cool. Haha!! The term ricer wasn't even a term back then. I only ever put enough air in for clearance though. I agree, the guys that but their butts way up in they air not only looked silly ,but it hurt performance too. We had a term for those guys, but I can't say it here. Lol
Old 12-10-2017, 10:25 AM   #54
hotlap

Quote:
We had to put airshocks on to fit our fat Cragers up under the ass end. That wasnt ricer. It was cool. Haha!! The term ricer wasn't even a term back then. I only ever put enough air in for clearance though. I agree, the guys that but their butts way up in they air not only looked silly ,but it hurt performance too. We had a term for those guys, but I can't say it here. Lol
You wanted fat Cragers with a jacked up rear to look like the funny cars. As a kid, I even remember guys bolting fake blowers on their hood and similar wild graphics. The ricers are doing the same to achieve a look. Stupid as we may think it is when executed half ass.

The ACR, ZR1 and ZL1-1LE are all business
Attached Images

Ronald Reagan -
Old 12-10-2017, 10:43 AM   #55
motorhead

Quote:
You wanted fat Cragers with a jacked up rear to look like the funny cars. As a kid, I even remember guys bolting fake blowers on their hood and similar wild graphics. The ricers are doing the same to achieve a look. Stupid as we may think it is when executed half ass.

The ACR, ZR1 and ZL1-1LE are all business
This thread was not intended to say those cars are ricer ,and yes they are all business.

Like I said, because they are all business GM has made ricer cool and now many want that look. And, no we didn't do big tires to look like funny cars. We just liked the wheel well filled up because it looks better on those old cars that had large wheel wells. We tried to keep the car as level as possible in the meantime.
The first pic is what we liked and tried to achieve. The second is what we would have considered "ricer" back in the day. Ricer to me is two edged. When something neither looks good or is functional. Since looks are subjective, I guess one man's rice is another's steak.

Last edited by motorhead; 07-24-2018 at 11:41 PM.