Go Back   CAMARO6 > CAMARO6.com General Forums > ZL1 Discussions

AWE Tuning

Old 03-10-2019, 05:15 PM   #43
Camarolover85
Account Suspended

Drives: 2019 Dodge Challenger Scat Pack
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chutzpah View Post
Looks like the 15% off is valid in your area...

https://www.chevrolet.com/current-de...=camaro:camaro
Great, thanks!
Camarolover85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2019, 05:16 PM   #44
Camarolover85
Account Suspended

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gunkk View Post
I put her behind the wheel. She hit the gas. The car went ZOOM! She giggled. DONE!

Totally worth every cent. Won Best in Class today at NMCA at the Bradenton Motorsports Park and didn’t have a single mod or make a single pass.
Good idea, I need to drag her to a dealership haha.
Old 03-10-2019, 05:20 PM   #45
Camarolover85
Account Suspended

Quote:
Originally Posted by HoldMyBeer View Post
I got lucky that my wife finds Camaros, in general, much better looking than than S550 mustangs which I had at the time.

I sold it to her that ZL1s were rare and it was a “dream car” and that was that.

Good luck, I get a huge smile on my face every times I sit in the seat and start’er up.
I did just that! We had a good conversation in which I did the talking lol. She has agreed and understands where I’m coming from.

Now I just gotta start doing the leg work to see what the deal with my lease is. I may have to wait till it ends, we’ll see! I think I’ll start saving and looking at the non 1LE versions.

Are the front bumper additions something you can add after market to the stock ZL1?
Old 03-10-2019, 05:30 PM   #46
GrabTheWheel

Drives: 18' ZL1 A10
To be fair I didn't really have to "convince" my wife but these were my selling points.

1. "I'll buy the automatic so you can drive it." All my other cars are manual and she refuses to drive stick. Don't worry she'll never want to drive it; unless she likes cars in which case you probably wouldn't have to ask her in the first place.

2. "It's the only car I'll be happy with stock and not have to modify." She really liked this one.

3. "It rides like a Cadillac compared to most cars I like and has heated seats." She didn't believe me at first but sure enough after the first drive she was loving the mag ride compared to the stiff suspension in my other cars. She ended up loving the disco lights, her favorite feature, mine was the LT4 and PDR.

Sadly after a year of ownership I realized it didn't make sense for me to own the car without a tire and brake pad sponsor as I couldn't resist using the car to it's full potential. I do miss it though, hence me lingering on this forum :(
GrabTheWheel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2019, 05:34 PM   #47
Camarolover85
Account Suspended

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrabTheWheel View Post
To be fair I didn't really have to "convince" my wife but these were my selling points.

1. "I'll buy the automatic so you can drive it." All my other cars are manual and she refuses to drive stick. Don't worry she'll never want to drive it; unless she likes cars in which case you probably wouldn't have to ask her in the first place.

2. "It's the only car I'll be happy with stock and not have to modify." She really liked this one.

3. "It rides like a Cadillac compared to most cars I like and has heated seats." She didn't believe me at first but sure enough after the first drive she was loving the mag ride compared to the stiff suspension in my other cars. She ended up loving the disco lights, her favorite feature, mine was the LT4 and PDR.

Sadly after a year of ownership I realized it didn't make sense for me to own the car without a tire and brake pad sponsor as I couldn't resist using the car to it's full potential. I do miss it though, hence me lingering on this forum :(
Hahaha oh no you were burning through tires and brakes that badly?! I never really thought about this...
Old 03-10-2019, 05:56 PM   #48
GrabTheWheel

Drives: 18' ZL1 A10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Camarolover85 View Post
Hahaha oh no you were burning through tires and brakes that badly?! I never really thought about this...
If you just drive on the street and don't do burnouts it won't be an issue. If you go to the track expect 2 days out of a set of tires. Heavy powerful cars kill tires easily!
GrabTheWheel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2019, 06:16 PM   #49
Camarolover85
Account Suspended

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrabTheWheel View Post
If you just drive on the street and don't do burnouts it won't be an issue. If you go to the track expect 2 days out of a set of tires. Heavy powerful cars kill tires easily!
Oh okay, whew! I was worried for a second. I’m not much of a track/burnout person. I drive kinda slow probably lol but I drive aggressive too.
Old 03-10-2019, 06:57 PM   #50
DANACO

Drives: 18 ZL1
Quote:
This is definitely how I feel personally and she knows I would never purchase anything that would affect my ability to pay bills. But she has an aggravating knack of firing back at any and everything I've ever wanted or bought. Generally beginning with, "Why" and followed by "you don't need it" to "It's ridiculously expensive" and sometimes like today throwing in, "think how many vacations we could take for 70K."

Which is followed by me getting really annoyed that I'm even asking permission to spend my own money and her reluctance to have any conversation not centered around why I don't need or shouldn't buy something lol.

This conversation ended badly today hahaha. As usual I got the, "Do what you want, do what you ALWAYS do, get obsessed with something you want and convince yourself you need it and pester me until I agree."

Actually, maybe we made progress!

I have a cool wife but man she is a PITA.
Why do you even bother asking ? Save the heartache and do what what you feel is good for you. Involve her after the fact, perhaps she’ll appreciate it as an activity together, C’s&C are very social, usually lots of other women. Just my 2 cents worth.
DANACO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2019, 07:36 PM   #51
Intimidator

Drives: 69 GTO, 05 GTO, 2018 Silver ZL1
I got rid of mine...then I had all kinds of money again!lol
Intimidator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2019, 07:50 PM   #52
gblaue

Drives: 2017 Bright Yellow ZL1 6spd
Quote:
Originally Posted by Badgerbimmer View Post
This is really easy;
1. Buy car
2. Pick it up
3. Drive home
4. Get wife to come out to the drive to see your beautiful new car

Done deal
Old 03-10-2019, 08:05 PM   #53
Artos

Drives: A10 LT4
I was sorta in the same boat other than I will at some point get to track...time & logistics for the most are the problem. Anyway, I was at a time in my life where I too wanted a top shelf handling spots car. I have always needed and owned trucks / 4wd SUV's do to all the hunting, fishing & shooting I partake...like you, I was put into a company truck I can use for personal & fixed this problem.

Had my mortgage paid off & am 100% debt free & made my decision to go ahead with a financially stupid purchase...gotta be honest with myself & the $$$ shoulda stayed in the investment side of things but the itch needed to be scratched. I get a little buyers remorse every now & then but it goes away every single time the LT4 fires up. This car gives a ton of joy. I jokingly call it my mid-life crisis car when asked why I bought a 650hp camaro. Got mine in exactly 2yrs ago today 3/10 & the early cars had a 1500 miles break in & got that taken care of in the first 2-3 weeks being eager to wot. I jump in her maybe once a week & still have less than 5k.

Don't even think I told the wife about the car until after it was ordered & the concern you have never been a big issue with us. I'm 49 been married 22 or 23yrs & we dated for 10 years prior to getting hitched, so we pretty much understand each other & me buying an expensive car wasn't anything I was concerned with by upsetting her in any fashion. I would say if your finances are in line & the purchase doesn't disrupt your long term financial goals for saving / investing / retirement, etc...then there is no reason for your wife to be concerned with even a $150k vehicle.

I would say unless you just gotta have the 1LE due to the exterior looks then you may want to consider the regular ZL1 for your application...for sure your wife will appreciate the mag ride & the car is quite comfortable with the tour suspension. Track suspension setting in mine is pretty dang stiff & have read here the 1LE is just plain harsh being a true focused track machine.
Artos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2019, 08:38 PM   #54
arpad_m

Drives: 2018 Camaro 2SS A8
Quote:
I tell her this all the time!! She’s nothing like me, she isn’t careless in a sense. Everything I purchase I do with a purpose or passion. I don’t spend money frivolously on random things like she does. She will buy 400 things off Etsy for $20 and she thinks she spent $20. I buy one $600 or $1200 item and my intent is it’s something that will last me for a very long time. I’m this case a tube amp and a brand new guitar. We just don’t see eye to eye haha. With the ZL1 my lease is almost up and this is my unicorn. Do I keep the V6 knowing I want the supercharged V8 and always will and hold off that urge until I’m 45 and then I’m paying this bill into my 50’s, that’s her way. Wait, wait, wait, wait. She calls it impulsive, 7 years of drooling and planning isn’t “impulsive” to me. For me the ZL1 represents a lifetime of hard work and what better time than when you’re young and about to either decide to keep a car you love but isn’t your dream or get the one you always wanted knowing full well it’s an investment and something you’ll likely keep for the rest of your life.. that’s my ideology anyways. Lol but yeah the price is sticker shock for sure...
I'd say stay responsible, check your household finances, but if the numbers look reasonable, don't hold out any longer, tap into the '18 discount while it lasts.

I had almost exactly the same car you do now, and then after a similar conversation with the missus we came to an agreement. She loves me and understands my dreams, plus she knows I wouldn't jeopardize her or the kids' security. Peace in the house is an asset, so I opened my heart to her, maybe you can do something similar, and if you can afford the car, I see no reason why this couldn't be an adventure for both of you.

Sure, I lost a lot (about $9k) on the trade and having fooled myself initially about a V6, which you may even be able to avoid now, not sure about the going price for your 2LT, but the current discount on '18 models might offset it.

I bought an SS that I enjoyed from day 1, then had it supercharged after 6 months, because I want to go every step of the way with the experience (plus I know I need to mature as a driver, which is difficult when taking just one giant step).

Overall it was more than worth it, this is already the best car I've ever owned, and if I really want, the is a lot more potential down the road. You won't regret a ZL1, that I'm sure about.

Magnuson TVS 2300 80mm pulley | Kooks 1 7/8" LT headers | JRE smooth idle terminator cam | LT4 FS & injectors | TSP forged pistons & rods
JMS PowerMAX | DSX flex fuel kit | Roto-Fab CAI | Soler 95mm LT5 TB | 1LE wheels | 1LE brakes | BMR rear cradle lockout | JRE custom tune

1100 - 1/30/18 | 2000 - 1/31/18
3000 - 2/06/18 TPW 2/26/18
3400 - 2/19/18 | 3800 - 2/26/18
4300 - 2/27/18 | 4B00 - 3/01/18
4200 - 3/05/18 | 4800 - 3/14/18
5000 - 3/16/18 | 6000 - 3/19/18
arpad_m is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2019, 10:46 PM   #55
Camarolover85
Account Suspended

Quote:
Originally Posted by Artos View Post
I was sorta in the same boat other than I will at some point get to track...time & logistics for the most are the problem. Anyway, I was at a time in my life where I too wanted a top shelf handling spots car. I have always needed and owned trucks / 4wd SUV's do to all the hunting, fishing & shooting I partake...like you, I was put into a company truck I can use for personal & fixed this problem.

Had my mortgage paid off & am 100% debt free & made my decision to go ahead with a financially stupid purchase...gotta be honest with myself & the $$$ shoulda stayed in the investment side of things but the itch needed to be scratched. I get a little buyers remorse every now & then but it goes away every single time the LT4 fires up. This car gives a ton of joy. I jokingly call it my mid-life crisis car when asked why I bought a 650hp camaro. Got mine in exactly 2yrs ago today 3/10 & the early cars had a 1500 miles break in & got that taken care of in the first 2-3 weeks being eager to wot. I jump in her maybe once a week & still have less than 5k.

Don't even think I told the wife about the car until after it was ordered & the concern you have never been a big issue with us. I'm 49 been married 22 or 23yrs & we dated for 10 years prior to getting hitched, so we pretty much understand each other & me buying an expensive car wasn't anything I was concerned with by upsetting her in any fashion. I would say if your finances are in line & the purchase doesn't disrupt your long term financial goals for saving / investing / retirement, etc...then there is no reason for your wife to be concerned with even a $150k vehicle.

I would say unless you just gotta have the 1LE due to the exterior looks then you may want to consider the regular ZL1 for your application...for sure your wife will appreciate the mag ride & the car is quite comfortable with the tour suspension. Track suspension setting in mine is pretty dang stiff & have read here the 1LE is just plain harsh being a true focused track machine.
I did not consider the 1LE suspension, thank you for that! It’s good to know you don’t regret your decision I don’t think I would either to be honest. I still have bills and a mortgage but if I get in early this is a car that will be paid off by the time I’m in my early 40’s so it shouldn’t affect my later years!
Old 03-10-2019, 10:48 PM   #56
Camarolover85
Account Suspended

Quote:
Originally Posted by arpad_m View Post
I'd say stay responsible, check your household finances, but if the numbers look reasonable, don't hold out any longer, tap into the '18 discount while it lasts.

I had almost exactly the same car you do now, and then after a similar conversation with the missus we came to an agreement. She loves me and understands my dreams, plus she knows I wouldn't jeopardize her or the kids' security. Peace in the house is an asset, so I opened my heart to her, maybe you can do something similar, and if you can afford the car, I see no reason why this couldn't be an adventure for both of you.

Sure, I lost a lot (about $9k) on the trade and having fooled myself initially about a V6, which you may even be able to avoid now, not sure about the going price for your 2LT, but the current discount on '18 models might offset it.

I bought an SS that I enjoyed from day 1, then had it supercharged after 6 months, because I want to go every step of the way with the experience (plus I know I need to mature as a driver, which is difficult when taking just one giant step).

Overall it was more than worth it, this is already the best car I've ever owned, and if I really want, the is a lot more potential down the road. You won't regret a ZL1, that I'm sure about.
Thanks for this!! I struggle with this, I want the V8. But I know if I only go SS I may have that itch for more. I don’t even NEED the power, I want the rumble, I want the look, the excitement and joy of it. It’s my unicorn. We’ve agreed and she understands. If I can afford it, I can have it. Time to scheme!!