Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > V8 LT1 Engine, Exhaust, and Bolt-Ons

Bigwormgraphix

Old 09-12-2020, 03:09 AM   #1
Tim M

Drives: 2018 Camaro SS 1LE
GM LT1 Hot Kit?

Looking for further information on GM's LT1 Hot Head and Cam kit (PN: 19333525)

What does it come with?

Anyone have results?

Results with a supercharger?

The basics are Hot cam (19303897), 8 lifters, 4 lifter trays, and two CNC'ed cylinder heads (19329839) complete with spring/valves, etc.

Summit has the kit at $3102.62. If you price the heads (2*$948) and cam ($575) separately it is quite a bit cheaper. The lifters/trays can't be the only included part...

I will be doing a head upgrade this winter, but not sold on a cam (but do like GM products!). I do desire more top end power, but have limitations on how to do it with German challenges.

GM initially offered it as part of a LT1 crate engine (535 HP/PN: 19355378), but appears to be discontinued:

https://www.hotrod.com/articles/new-...cam-tensema16/

https://www.chevrolet.com/performanc...s/lt/lt376-535

Thanks.

Last edited by Tim M; 09-12-2020 at 03:43 AM.
Tim M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2020, 06:00 AM   #2
Joshinator99

Drives: 2017 Camaro 2SS A8
I would imagine a cam designed for an N/A car would have more overlap than you’d want for a boosted car. Give CamMotion a call and get a cam custom ground for what you want to do with the car IMO.
Old 09-12-2020, 11:27 AM   #3
7speed

Drives: 21 SS
I haven't gotten installed yet but I bought the lt1 cam separately and cam motion dod delete kit. I'm probably skipping heads.
Old 09-13-2020, 06:39 AM   #4
Tim M

Josh: Appreciate the comments. Agree a custom cam is the right answer. I used to believe a NA cam is different than a non-NA cam, but some reputable sources say that isn't always the case...at least it isn't as bad as some believe if you have a cam already. The power curve is just more so with an adder. I'm no expert though.

I also wonder if the specs Chevy publishes for the HOT cam - if they are equivalent to what the aftermarket cams are measured at. Chevy advertised 80 HP increase with the CNC heads and cam package according to their Crate Engine info.

7speed: Appreciate chiming in! I'm only aware of 2 others on this forum who used the package/cam. One sold the car (commented he had couple of lifter failures) and the other silent. Please report back on your experiences...also highly recommend dynoing the car prior ideally on the same dyno for actual improvement. I've done this many times and gives great justification for your money spent.
Old 09-13-2020, 07:43 AM   #5
s346k

Drives: like an old lady
535/470? is that crank hp? if you are wanting to add power and cash the warranty, i'd suggest doing bolt ons if that's all the more you want. full bolt ons will gain you close to 100 whp while retaining stock drivability and stock internal parts.

if you want boost on top of that you mise well build a short block for it. 6 lb on a bolt on motor will easily push it over the reliable limit of the stock pistons.
Old 09-13-2020, 08:05 AM   #6
Tim M

s346k: Appreciate the post...I'd like to keep the discussion on experiences with the GM Hot Kit - thanks.
Old 09-13-2020, 08:18 AM   #7
BlackbeastSS2

Drives: 2019 Camaro 1LE Shock Candy
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim M View Post
s346k: Appreciate the post...I'd like to keep the discussion on experiences with the GM Hot Kit - thanks.
I did the the GM Hotcam with CNC ported heads in my 2016.

My take away.

I did mine at a GM Performance dealership and it was their first GEN V cam swap. My advice make sure they have done them before. I would only do cam and not included heads if i did it again. Just lifters, springs, and rocker kit. The GM Hot cam sounds bad ass but lacks in punch. The Torque pick up was about 50 to the wheels, other cams could do better. It was a pig on gas but that sound was worth it. The tuner was the most important.
Diamond Piston & Manley Rods, Roto Fab Big Gulp
BTR Push Rods,LS7 Lifters, ARP, FI Chiller, Kirkey Seats
SJM Line Lock, Hurst Pistol Grip. 747/739 RWHP street tune - 821/794 RWHP track tune 101 octane.
2014 Mini Cooper countryman S All4 M6 daily driver
BlackbeastSS2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2020, 08:37 AM   #8
Tim M

BlackbeastSS2: I believe you were one of the two that I'd seen post about an experience. You talk in past tense - do you no longer have the package? Did you do before/after dyno tests? How do you know if the cam or heads were to blame for the lower than expected performance? And you mention springs - Hot cam is compatible with the original springs - did you install others? Thanks.
Old 09-13-2020, 08:48 AM   #9
KingLT1

Drives: 2016 1SS NFG A8
I don't believe the Hot cam has a larger fuel lobe to overdrive the HPFP. That is the biggest reason why I wouldn't run it in a Supercharged application. Note the OP has a LT4 supercharger on his LT1.
Per. times- 10.5 @ 137 w/ 1.8 60ft Full weight on 20's 1200DA
KingLT1 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2020, 09:04 AM   #10
BlackbeastSS2

Quote:
BlackbeastSS2: I believe you were one of the two that I'd seen post about an experience. You talk in past tense - do you no longer have the package? Did you do before/after dyno tests? How do you know if the cam or heads were to blame for the lower than expected performance? And you mention springs - Hot cam is compatible with the original springs - did you install others? Thanks.
I returned the car to stock with the exception of cam and heads then traded it in for current Camaro. Sold some parts and kept others. I did an original base line stock at 388 to the wheels on a mustang Dyno. (A8) I did as much work as possible by myself. The mistake I made I kept adding stuff along the way. Had two other Dyno’s that produce 440 and 480. Dyno run on the 440 with a 100 shot did produce 540 but at only 85% pedal throttle. So with adding stuff along the way it’s tough to say which part added what. What’s better waiting for all the parts for the build or adding along the way because of budget. I mentioned the heads because talking to others they say the stock heads will flow nice till 650Hp and anything above is Really for HIgh HP cars. I was originally gunning for 505 HP With Cam and bolt ons then added NOS to get around the 650 mark. So I do think just strengthening current stock heads is the way to go with a below 650 build.

I am just a self taught garage monkey from the 70’s and like to fiddle with my cars. Anything above stock is good for me. Not gunning for the best and fastest but I do enjoy what I am doing in my own garage. Currently doing my current car build and learnt that taking your time is better and getting all the parts before I go to the tuner.

Edit. Forgot to mention the reason to upgrade heads because you should do all the lifters anyways. So your in there anyways, so upgrade. Plus if your an Auto your going to have to do the DOD delete anyways.
SJM Line Lock, Hurst Pistol Grip. 747/739 RWHP street tune - 821/794 RWHP track tune 101 octane.

Last edited by BlackbeastSS2; 09-13-2020 at 12:30 PM.
Old 09-13-2020, 02:17 PM   #11
Tim M

KingLT1: Did not know that, although I don't think I'm looking to make that much more HP. I've got my hands full on the circuit as it is...just need a bit more on the autobahn!

BlackbeastSS2: I understand. To confirm, the kit only came with heads/cam, lifters, and tray...nothing else? Seems odd the package deal is more than the pieces separately. I'm inquiring about the head upgrade for the same reason as you...lifter replacement primarily. I will also be performing all the work (with possibly a young assistant or two). Thanks.
Old 09-13-2020, 04:40 PM   #12
BlackbeastSS2

Quote:
KingLT1: Did not know that, although I don't think I'm looking to make that much more HP. I've got my hands full on the circuit as it is...just need a bit more on the autobahn!

BlackbeastSS2: I understand. To confirm, the kit only came with heads/cam, lifters, and tray...nothing else? Seems odd the package deal is more than the pieces separately. I'm inquiring about the head upgrade for the same reason as you...lifter replacement primarily. I will also be performing all the work (with possibly a young assistant or two). Thanks.
Kit comes with
This Kit Includes:
19303897 (1) Camshaft
12595365 (4) Valve Lifter Guide
12648846 (8) Valve Lifters
19329839 (2) CNC Cylinder Head Assembly

I am just say you might just want to get just the cam and reinforce your stock heads since you have to do a DOD delete. That’s the way I would go after doing the full complete heads. IMO
Old 09-13-2020, 05:24 PM   #13
Redlinez
Shifts under load

Drives: 2020 Camaro 1SS 1LE rally green
I've been reading a lot of good things about Cammotion. I've run hotcams in my previous Camaros and really liked them. They were easy on valvesprings and ran as good at the track as a lot of "custom" cammed guys. Had one in my 95 Z28 and my 99 Z28 (first one). I've watched videos of Westtech Performance and Richard Holdener showing many "n/a" cams doing just fine with a supercharger. I can't imagine this engine is that different, but I don't know if he did any direct injected engines to illustrate this point.

I too have been eyeing this hotcam package, but am pretty sure a cam motion 600 ish lift cam. .625" valve springs, Johnson lifters, and ported heads from Pray or another reputable porter is the way to go. I daily drive mine and don't want to lose much bottom end, but still make a big difference up top.
Redlinez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2020, 08:30 PM   #14
KingLT1

Drives: 2016 1SS NFG A8
Quote:

You will need the bigger fuel lobe to have enough fuel for the power increase of the cam. The more power you make the more fuel you need. So it's either meth, bigger HPFP, port injection, or a bigger fuel lobe. The bigger fuel lobe doesn't cost any extra which is why most opt for it to add additional fueling when installing a cam.

Imo the Hot cam is the wrong package for your setup. My recommendation would be to get something from cam motion.
Per. times- 10.5 @ 137 w/ 1.8 60ft Full weight on 20's 1200DA
KingLT1 is online now   Reply With Quote