Homepage Garage Wiki Register Social Groups Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > Technical Camaro Topics > Wheels | Tires -- Sponsored by The Tire Rack

Phastek Performance

Old 07-07-2021, 11:53 AM   #1
cjperformance

Drives: 2017 Camaro SS 50th Anniversary
TPMS with Separate Sets of Wheels for Perf and Daily Driving

Wondering what the best approach is for having 2 complete sets of wheels and tires in regards to TPMS.

I'd like to have a performance set of wheels/tires for track, but also a set for daily driving.

I dont want to swap out tires on the rims every time just to change the TPMS.

Can you have 2 sets of TPMS (one in each set of wheels)?

Maybe just leave TPMS in the set I use for daily driving?
cjperformance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2021, 12:11 PM   #2
joekd

Drives: 2018 Camaro SS vert
When you get the 2nd set mounted make sure the tire store can clone the TPMS (may have to call a couple before you find one that will)

What that will do is copy each TPMS's exact code to the new ones so as long as you put the wheels in same spot (left front to left front) the car will never know you switched the wheels

The other option is buy the reprogram tool and do this every time you swap wheels, cheaper and easier plus takes under a minute to do
Old 07-08-2021, 09:55 AM   #3
cjperformance

Drives: 2017 Camaro SS 50th Anniversary
Quote:
Originally Posted by joekd View Post
When you get the 2nd set mounted make sure the tire store can clone the TPMS (may have to call a couple before you find one that will)

What that will do is copy each TPMS's exact code to the new ones so as long as you put the wheels in same spot (left front to left front) the car will never know you switched the wheels

The other option is buy the reprogram tool and do this every time you swap wheels, cheaper and easier plus takes under a minute to do
Very good information. I'll take a look around for a reprogram tool. If you have any specific recommendations, I'd appreciate it!
cjperformance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2021, 10:03 AM   #4
Vtor_ZL1
Who Needs to KNOW?

Drives: 18 ZLE
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B072BK693N

Remove the battery between uses, feels like it wears down faster when left in the tool.

Are you in the NY/NJ/PA/CT region? Join us for autox fun at MetLife Stadium. HUGE lots, tons of runs.

http://www.motorsportsne.com/
Vtor_ZL1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2021, 10:22 AM   #5
foshjowler

Drives: 2017 Camaro 2.0T, 91 Miata
I wish I had the TPMS installed on my second set of wheels. They're not that expensive and it would be good to have a view of what tire pressures are just off course instead of a few minutes later. Also, gets rid of the error on the dash and every time I start the car. I'll get them installed with this next set.

Youtube Channel

foshjowler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2021, 11:10 AM   #6
NotFast

Drives: 2021 LT1
I've used the reprogram tool I got from Tire Rack and it was painless (although you need to consult the owner's manual for the exact procedure).
NotFast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2021, 04:47 PM   #7
clyde

Drives: broken
If you dont have TPMS in all your wheels and you track/autocross, make sure your car can't see the wheels with the TPMS when you start your session(s). If it can see more than one, it won't let you turn off all the nannies. (Seems like everything is defeatable when it can only see one, though.)

Related, it's worth buying an extra set of TPMS to have on hand if you mount/flip tires often...especially if you do so in your racer buddy's garage with more brute force than skill at tire changing.

I have the reprogram tool linked a few posts earlier. I think the flashing low battery light is a feature since it's been flashing since the second time I used it over three years ago. Many, many uses since, but still on the original battery.
clyde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2021, 11:33 AM   #8
ctrlz

Drives: 2017 2SS, 50th pkg, M6, MRC, NPP
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vtor_ZL1 View Post
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B072BK693N

Remove the battery between uses, feels like it wears down faster when left in the tool.
I'll second this. Look around on amazon. There are about 5 versions (different branding) of this same exact tool. Go with cheapest. Mine was $9 with prime shipping.
ctrlz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2021, 08:49 PM   #9
Joker75

Drives: 18 LS/1LE V6
I purchased a second set of snow tires and rims, complete with TPMS sensors, shortly after I purchased my 2018. My dealer was pretty good about having a Tech. walk out and perform the relearn procedure, the first couple of times I swapped between sets.

I ended up purchasing a Relearn Tool off of Amazon, and have just done it myself the last few years. The Relearn Tool has come in handy when I have needed to reset the TPMS sensors on other personal and work vehicles, so it turned out to be a good investment.
Joker75 is offline   Reply With Quote