Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > V8 LT1 Engine, Exhaust, and Bolt-Ons

Phastek Performance

Old 07-11-2021, 07:45 AM   #1
appleman22

Drives: 2017 1ss 1le
Oil cooler rubber coolant hose replacement?

Has anyone found a suitable silicone hose replacement for the short rubber coolant line near the oil cooler? I'm noticing folks starting to have these fail and loosing all of their coolant. Perhaps a vendor would be willing to offer a group buy on something like this? Seems like important preventative maintenance?

Thanks
appleman22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2021, 12:10 PM   #2
Trochoidal

Drives: 2017 Camaro 2SS A8
Yes. I bought this hose (except in black) last year along with the “Breeze” brand clamps for the silicone hose. The hose has been on the car for almost a year. When I was installing my headers I checked the clamps and the hose to make sure there were no issues. It looked good.

https://www.amazon.com/HPS-Silicone-...6023233&sr=8-1

Originally Posted by arpad_m - “Aww, yet another oil thread with almost the same question in the OP“
Trochoidal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2021, 06:05 PM   #3
appleman22

thank you! I figured a vendor would have made a solution by now as these have started being an issues as these cars age.
Old 07-13-2021, 06:12 PM   #4
cmitchell17

Drives: 17 2SS, 8L90, Cam, Heads, E85
So is this now know as a common failure? I had this happen a few years ago with about 80k on my SS. I can't believe they are letting a simple hose fail, if that is in fact what is going on? I mean I can't think of anything else besides the rubber hoses failing. Mine seemed like it split all the way down the length of the hose when I took my broken one off.

I just replaced mine with the same size of whatever the hardware store had, I do think it was some SAE rated hose designed for coolant but nothing special.
cmitchell17 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2021, 06:14 PM   #5
appleman22

yes, more and more of these failures are occurring. That stupid small rubber hose splits down the side. I was thinking of maybe a vendor had a solution with a silicone hose and clamps.
Old 07-14-2021, 05:57 PM   #6
Trochoidal

Drives: 2017 Camaro 2SS A8
Quote:
Originally Posted by cmitchell17 View Post
So is this now know as a common failure? I had this happen a few years ago with about 80k on my SS. I can't believe they are letting a simple hose fail, if that is in fact what is going on? I mean I can't think of anything else besides the rubber hoses failing. Mine seemed like it split all the way down the length of the hose when I took my broken one off.

I just replaced mine with the same size of whatever the hardware store had, I do think it was some SAE rated hose designed for coolant but nothing special.
It was your post that caused me to investigate. In my case this was changed as PM. The hose had swollen in my case due to the drip of oil from a loose oil pan bolt.

Quote:
Originally Posted by appleman22 View Post
yes, more and more of these failures are occurring. That stupid small rubber hose splits down the side. I was thinking of maybe a vendor had a solution with a silicone hose and clamps.
You really don’t need a kit to replace the hose. The link in my previous post is more than enough to get the job completed.

1) Take off your old hose (Get a bath in coolant)
2) Cut a section of the new hose at the same length
3) Slide on clamps and attach to factory hard lines
Attached Images

Originally Posted by arpad_m - “Aww, yet another oil thread with almost the same question in the OP“
Trochoidal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2021, 06:24 PM   #7
cmitchell17

Drives: 17 2SS, 8L90, Cam, Heads, E85
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trochoidal View Post
It was your post that caused me to investigate. In my case this was changed as PM. The hose had swollen in my case due to the drip of oil from a loose oil pan bolt.

You really don’t need a kit to replace the hose. The link in my previous post is more than enough to get the job completed.

1) Take off your old hose (Get a bath in coolant)
2) Cut a section of the new hose at the same length
3) Slide on clamps and attach to factory hard lines
I think I was effected because I racked up more miles than the usual car. I can't remember when mine happen but it was probably around 80k miles. I don't think that many people have that many miles, but not sure if its only the early builds or maybe the 2017s its happening too.
cmitchell17 is online now   Reply With Quote