Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > Technical Camaro Topics > Cosmetic modifications (exterior and interior)

AWE Tuning

Old 06-09-2019, 12:32 PM   #15
SSShark

Drives: '23 1SS Sharkskin A10
Quote:
Originally Posted by LT4Greg View Post
8minus4, don’t try to explain anymore! Let people believe what they want to no matter what is being said.
Agreed.
SSShark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2019, 02:23 PM   #16
SPARTAN sui
PC Technician

Drives: 2016 Hyper Blue 2SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by 8minus4 View Post
I've seen hoods in the past where the paint became dull due to lack of underhood insulation. I wouldn't call it clear coat failure, but long exposure to high heat will definitely dull paint. I'm not telling anyone here not to remove the insulation, but that removal may result in paint damage somewhere down the road. Better safe than sorry.
Quote:
8minus4, don’t try to explain anymore! Let people believe what they want to no matter what is being said.
Quote:
Agreed.
Guys, I can still hear you.

I'd like an alternative to my crusty hood liner, I could spray paint it, but I have no idea how that would look. I already removed mine, it's been fine so far, but that's too little time to know if there would be long time damage obviously.

I just know there's vehicles that are manufactured without any hood liners to begin with. There's tons of aftermarket hoods that are made without any liner, I just have a hard time believing that removing the liner will cause damage when there's a lot of vehicles on the road that don't have any type of liner under the hood. I like proven facts other than anecdotal evidence.
Old 06-09-2019, 03:19 PM   #17
LT4Greg

Drives: 2017 Camaro ZL1 Coupe
Okay Spartan, why did Chevy put them on the car if they don’t need them? Can you answer that question for us? There is a purpose for the insulation I would assume or is it not needed?
Old 06-09-2019, 03:30 PM   #18
SPARTAN sui
PC Technician

Quote:
Okay Spartan, why did Chevy put them on the car if they don’t need them? Can you answer that question for us? There is a purpose for the insulation I would assume or is it not needed?
That's what I'm questioning as well. So far I've come across these possible answers.
  1. Sound dampening
  2. Fire Suppression
  3. Heat Insulation (to protect paint)

I'm not pretending I know the answer, I just haven't seen any factual proof that it protects the paint from damage.

Sound dampening, plausible, it's material between a loud DI engine and a big piece of sheet metal.

Fire suppression, plausible, the idea I've read is the plastic tabs quickly melt away and the felt is supposed to help smother the engine offering possibly a few more seconds to escape an engine fire.

Heat Insulation, plausible, it's material between the painted sheet metal and a hot engine. But my question, does the engine put off enough heat to damage the paint, if so, what evidence supports this idea?

I haven't seen any evidence supporting this idea through my minimal research. I just want to see proof that it actually protects the paint from heat damage.

If you can find any proof that it is a requirement to protect the paint from damage, please let me know and I'll put my hood liner back on my car. From what I've read, there's many vehicles that have even the interior of their hood painted to match the exterior of their vehicle with no damage from the heat.
Old 06-09-2019, 04:11 PM   #19
LT4Greg

Idk either but would leave it in place just for the reasons you posted. My ZL1 doesn’t have one because of the hood vent and hardware due to the supercharger. That’s all I’m saying that it wouldn’t be on the car if Chevy didn’t see the need for it. My 1998 SS didn’t have one but the hood was composite and not aluminum. And over the 11 years I had it, the hood paint did somewhat turn dull even though it had a clear coat I would suspect because of the engine compartment heat so I’m not arguing with anyone just my personal experience. It’s all good you know!
Old 06-09-2019, 04:18 PM   #20
SPARTAN sui
PC Technician

Quote:
Idk either but would leave it in place just for the reasons you posted. My ZL1 doesn’t have one because of the hood vent and hardware due to the supercharger. That’s all I’m saying that it wouldn’t be on the car if Chevy didn’t see the need for it. My 1998 SS didn’t have one but the hood was composite and not aluminum. And over the 11 years I had it, the hood paint did somewhat turn dull even though it had a clear coat I would suspect because of the engine compartment heat so I’m not arguing with anyone just my personal experience. It’s all good you know!
Fair enough, I wish we had a paintable hood liner like this for the 6th gen. I'd buy that in a heartbeat.

https://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=429486

I'm definitely looking at other options, the last thing I want to do is damage the paint on my car.
Old 06-09-2019, 04:27 PM   #21
LT4Greg

Agree!
Old 06-09-2019, 05:07 PM   #22
My First Camaro!

Drives: '18 5.7 RAM 1500 18' 1SS
Quote:
If removed, the engine heat will eventually damage the paint on the hood.
The underside is not 100% painted. looks like primer and overspray.
Old 06-09-2019, 05:09 PM   #23
My First Camaro!

Quote:
I've seen hoods in the past where the paint became dull due to lack of underhood insulation. I wouldn't call it clear coat failure, but long exposure to high heat will definitely dull paint. I'm not telling anyone here not to remove the insulation, but that removal may result in paint damage somewhere down the road. Better safe than sorry.
Was that on the underside or the top?
Old 06-09-2019, 05:54 PM   #24
SSShark

Drives: '23 1SS Sharkskin A10
Quote:
Originally Posted by My First Camaro! View Post
Was that on the underside or the top?
On the topside of the hood.
SSShark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2019, 08:31 PM   #25
RideWithDanger

Drives: 23 2SS 1LE
Just to put my .02 in about the heat suppression thing, it totally makes sense to me. But in my personal experience (not with this vehicle) driving around doesnt make the hood as hot as just having it parked in the sun for a while.

Also thinking of the exposed material (including painted parts) under the hood that seem to be fine, it doesnt seem like the most real reason, but im no expert.

Radiant Red 23' 2SS 1LE
1100: 11/14/22 | BUILT: 3/16/23
2000: 2/17/23 | 4200: 5/8/23
3000: 2/27/23 | 5000/6000: 5/15/23

Black on black 2019 3LT RS Camaro.
1100: 3/7/19 | 4200: 4/15/19
3100: 3/15/19 | 4800: 4/23/19
3400: 3/22/19 | 5000: 4/25/19
Built: 4/8/19 | Home: 4/26/19
RideWithDanger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2019, 03:57 PM   #26
My First Camaro!

Quote:
The same reason Chevy put rubber bushings in the suspension? Its cheaper? Just because its OEM does not mean its "required".
Old 06-15-2019, 04:58 PM   #27
LT4Greg

Well keep it off then! It’s your car and you can do what you want to do with it!
Old 06-15-2019, 07:35 PM   #28
SSmash

Drives: Mosaic Black Camaro 2SS
Quote:
lol 100%, let him do it and then maybe he can post pics in a few months to become the example for future owners who want to know
SSmash is offline   Reply With Quote