Homepage Garage Wiki Register Social Groups Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > Technical Camaro Topics > Wheels | Tires -- Sponsored by The Tire Rack

Bigwormgraphix

Old 05-21-2020, 01:21 AM   #1
Coded4SS

Drives: 2020 1SS 1le
I need tires!

Peeps I need new rear tires. My fronts are ok replaced one recently.
I have 5k miles on the car and the rears are about done.

Do I get same stock tires for the rear? Ps4?
Anyone that gone to ps4 did you regret it? How much do you feel that side wall flex in turns?

Thanks dudes any tires recommendations are cool
Coded4SS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2020, 02:26 AM   #2
Tyestick

Drives: 19’ Camaro SS 1LE
You went through your rear tires in 5k miles?

Damn.

You’re clearly enjoying your car.

From what I’ve read, the PS4’s are highly regarded.

You can also browse the wheel/tire section of the forums to see what other brands of tires people are running.
Old 05-21-2020, 02:35 AM   #3
Coded4SS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tyestick View Post
You went through your rear tires in 5k miles?

Damn.

You’re clearly enjoying your car.

From what I’ve read, the PS4’s are highly regarded.

You can also browse the wheel/tire section of the forums to see what other brands of tires people are running.

I hear a mix on ps 4. They are great comming from the run flat stock SS wheels but are they great comming from the stock 1le wheels?

Yeah 5k it saddens me too man haha
Old 05-21-2020, 07:06 AM   #4
nasbagoat

Drives: 17 SW 1LE
Supercar 3 is a great dual sport street/ track tire but doesnt last long.
P4S is a really great street tire, good dry grip, good life and superior wet grip but pricey
People hurt up for money usually go Indy500.

you must like burnouts because i made it to almost 13k miles and a few track days on my first set.

Last edited by nasbagoat; 05-21-2020 at 07:34 AM.
nasbagoat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2020, 07:10 AM   #5
VinnAY
Account Suspended

Drives: 18 1SS/1LE
PS4 seems to the go to tire, price point can be a bit of an issue, there are more economical options like the ExtremeContact Sport. All depends on your uses and budget. The Indy500 is a very budget minded option. The SC3 OE tire is a fantastic tire with a fair price point but they're dangerous in the rain; hydroplane.
VinnAY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2020, 07:40 AM   #6
Alpha1BC

Drives: 2017 1SS 1LE
I agree with the above posts as well, but to better answer your question what are you planning to do with your car? If that's the expected usage rate of your tires it can get expensive reeeaaaly fast to use any kind of performance tire.

I'm curious though, how'd you manage to need to replace only one front but both rears at only 5k miles? Need to replace one of the fronts from road damage and the rears from burnouts or something like that?
Old 05-21-2020, 08:52 AM   #7
AD17SS1LE

Drives: 2017 Camaro SS 1LE
All the replies are on the mark, I think you need to determine what you are going to use your car for. The G3's are fantastic on the track but do have short life and are very reasonable price. If you don't track your car much or at all then you may want to go with one of the other manufactures.
Taylor plug wires
Mishimoto oil cooler
Elite X2 catch can
AD17SS1LE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2020, 09:28 AM   #8
Coded4SS

You guys make some good points.
Ya burnouts and donuts definately been happening and I've done them on some not so smooth pavement explaining how quick they went. Also those 5k miles are probably 90 percent hard canyon driving.

So basically some light daily driving and mostly hard canyon driving. I'll skip.burnouts for now it's getting expensive.
I'd like to eventually get on the track but that would be a once or twice a year type of thing.

My front right tire had a chunk taken out the sidewall. Not sure if a rock took it our what but I replaced that tire at 4500 miles. The front left tire and rears are the factory tires. I'd be fine putting same tires on but I do find them quite noisy at times.

The ps4s are pretty expensive ..
Old 05-21-2020, 09:42 AM   #9
Alpha1BC

Drives: 2017 1SS 1LE
Gotcha, that makes sense. Yeah in that case I'd suggest the PS4S, ExtremeContact Sport, Indy500, or something similar. Those will last a bit longer than the SC3 and be more robust to different road surface conditions while still being able to handle a track day or two every year. If you start tracking more regularly, then I'd say switching back to the SC3 would be a good idea or get a separate set of track dedicated wheels/tires.
Old 05-21-2020, 09:49 AM   #10
Coded4SS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alpha1BC View Post
Gotcha, that makes sense. Yeah in that case I'd suggest the PS4S, ExtremeContact Sport, Indy500, or something similar. Those will last a bit longer than the SC3 and be more robust to different road surface conditions while still being able to handle a track day or two every year. If you start tracking more regularly, then I'd say switching back to the SC3 would be a good idea or get a separate set of track dedicated wheels/tires.
Ya I thought about getting a stock SS set of wheels. I'll look at the tires you mentioned, appreciate it. I really don't want to experience any soft sidewall that you feel the flex in turns. I know there's a compromise but hopefully one of these tires aren't too soft on the side
Old 05-21-2020, 04:37 PM   #11
cdrptrks

Drives: 2017 Blue Camaro 1SS 1LE with PDR
I would go with Firestone Firehawk Indy 500s for frequent canyon drives. I can't imagine you would feel much sidewall flex on any 20" low profile tire but I have only driven on the stock SS 1LE SC3s and stock SS runflats. I couldn't feel any flex on either one even when driving hard through corners on track and in canyons.
cdrptrks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2020, 05:03 PM   #12
NeverDie
Account Suspended

Drives: 2017 Camaro SS 1LE
I don't like how there is less tread width on the PS4S overall vs the GYSC3 on the 1LE.

Love the PS4S on my other cars, but seeing people's photos here with the stretched sidewalls on 305s tells me my answer for this car.
NeverDie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2020, 09:15 PM   #13
Boost Creep

Drives: '18 1SS 1LE
Tire rack has the F1S3 rears for $241ea 2017 production.
Whole set for $773, that's less than just rear 4S's.

I just replaced my tires with Extreme Contacts.
You can feel the flex, but then again my Goodyears felt like rocks, the fronts got lumpy and the rears went bald.
I wanted the 4S's but the fronts were backordered.
Didn't want to go with the Goodyears again. They would get very noisy after 8-9k miles, fling rocks like a champ, were less than confidence inspiring in the rain, lost grip quickly with temp drops. I wanted something a little more street/weather friendly living in the NE.

The Extreme Contacts are Ok, but I'm sure the 4S's would be closer to the Goodyears with better road manners. Next time I will go 4S's if only just to compare with the other two.
Old 05-22-2020, 06:54 AM   #14
Redlinez
Shifts under load

Drives: 2020 Camaro 1SS 1LE rally green
Gotta say, I liked these Goodyears until we got this days and days of rain. They suck n rain, almost as bad as the runflats on my 17 SS. The PS4S's were fantastic in the rain, great on track and lasted 28,000 miles. But everyone knows they are dumb money. Not sure what I'll go with when the time comes. Firestones don't come in these sizes.
Redlinez is offline   Reply With Quote