Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > CAMARO6.com General Forums > 6th gen Camaro vs...

Phastek Performance

Old 03-24-2020, 08:37 AM   #15
TheRealJA105

Drives: 2013 C6Z06
Quote:
Originally Posted by zl1_fan View Post
Thanks for the feedback. This is exactly what I was pondering, given how well the ZL1 is engineered, how would these two perform side by side with similar horsepower. If the the ZL1 is only 3 tenths away from the GT500 with a 100 HP disadvantage, then an additional 100 HP in the ZL1 (making them about equal HP wise) would definitely put the ZL1 in front. Whether it would "utterly destroy the GT500 without putting up a sweat" or not is questionable, I would have to agree it would smoke the GT500.

Now that begs the question, what is the easiest way to get an additional 100 HP? Headers, CAI and a tune, or is that more like a 60 HP gain? Although those 3 may be enough to take the GT500.
This has been debated to death . Also if you want facts and answers just go to the fast list Section 7&8 https://www.camaro6.com/forums/showthread.php?t=427506
TheRealJA105 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2020, 10:50 AM   #16
ZRacerLE

Drives: The DSSV Twins: ZR2 and ZLE A10
I'd say if you care about beating a GT500 in a straight line, go with a modded 5.0 or SS rather than a modded ZL1.
ZRacerLE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2020, 04:26 PM   #17
BlaqWhole
Account Suspended

Drives: 2017 Camaro ZL1 A10
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZRacerLE View Post
I'd say if you care about beating a GT500 in a straight line, go with a modded 5.0 or SS rather than a modded ZL1.
The problem is tho that by the time you mod them you done basically spent ZL1 money. And you wouldn't have all the stuff a ZL1 comes with. If you're gonna spend that much then you might as well get the ZL1.
BlaqWhole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2020, 08:12 PM   #18
RageWorx

Drives: 2016 1SS A8 Camaro with MRC and NPP
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlaqWhole View Post
The problem is tho that by the time you mod them you done basically spent ZL1 money. And you wouldn't have all the stuff a ZL1 comes with. If you're gonna spend that much then you might as well get the ZL1.
He mentions in regards to strait line performance beating a GT500 .... so if strait line and drag racing are the only criteria than yes I agree you are better off with an modded SS or 5.0 GT especially in regards to lower weight and modding the car specific for this purpose rather than paying a higher starting price for a car that is built for events your not going to use the car for (again we are talking only strait line).

I haven't checked but I believe the fastest 1/4 time for any 6th gen Camaro is an SS A8 at least on the fast lists of this forum I believe and not a ZL1 (but give it time I'm sure that could change) ......

However if you want a car that is better equipped for more serious road racing and just really friggin fast right out of the box with no need for warranty voiding mods ....Then the ZL1 is Very hard to beat in terms of the overall package you are getting for the price point.

As far as money spent so far with my modded SS (which by the way isn't slow lol) ...... there is still a decent price gap and more mod money to be spent before I would equal the cost of a ZL1. Perhaps I just got some really good deals/hookups so everyone's results may vary and I didn't want or need everything a ZL1 had so I'm fine with a more purpose built SS for my wants/needs.

I just think its nice that any Camaro built on the Alpha platform is a Highly capable machine starting with the 4cly all the way up to the ZL1 you really can't go wrong no matter what kind of racing/driving your doing we all win .

-Jon
2016 HB Camaro 1SS A8 with MRC and NPP 398rwhp/389tq stock #s(11.84 @ 117 DR only, ECS boost 550rwhp/510tq (dynapack #s) , same boost + AEM water/meth + ARH Headers/mids 600 rwhp+ (dynojet #s) TTP)10.8 @ 129.
2020 Ford Explorer
2003 SVT Cobra Coupe (just your average KB Terminator Cobra).
2013 Focus ST (e30 Tuned).
2004 Dodge 3500 Cummins Dually 6 spd manual (tow rig).
1997 Jeep Cherokee (Lifted and Locked XJ off-road rig).

Last edited by RageWorx; 03-24-2020 at 08:22 PM.
RageWorx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2020, 09:15 PM   #19
BlaqWhole
Account Suspended

Quote:
Originally Posted by RageWorx View Post
He mentions in regards to strait line performance beating a GT500 .... so if strait line and drag racing are the only criteria than yes I agree you are better off with an modded SS or 5.0 GT especially in regards to lower weight and modding the car specific for this purpose rather than paying a higher starting price for a car that is built for events your not going to use the car for (again we are talking only strait line).

I haven't checked but I believe the fastest 1/4 time for any 6th gen Camaro is an SS A8 at least on the fast lists of this forum I believe and not a ZL1 (but give it time I'm sure that could change) ......

However if you want a car that is better equipped for more serious road racing and just really friggin fast right out of the box with no need for warranty voiding mods ....Then the ZL1 is Very hard to beat in terms of the overall package you are getting for the price point.

As far as money spent so far with my modded SS (which by the way isn't slow lol) ...... there is still a decent price gap and more mod money to be spent before I would equal the cost of a ZL1. Perhaps I just got some really good deals/hookups so everyone's results may vary and I didn't want or need everything a ZL1 had so I'm fine with a more purpose built SS for my wants/needs.

I just think its nice that any Camaro built on the Alpha platform is a Highly capable machine starting with the 4cly all the way up to the ZL1 you really can't go wrong no matter what kind of racing/driving your doing we all win .

-Jon
Ah ok yea for straight line performance only I would agree. Actually if that was the only consideration then a used Hellcat would be the best bet.
Old 03-25-2020, 08:20 AM   #20
RageWorx

Drives: 2016 1SS A8 Camaro with MRC and NPP
Quote:
Ah ok yea for straight line performance only I would agree. Actually if that was the only consideration then a used Hellcat would be the best bet.
No Doubt the prices on the narrow body Hellcats are coming down some killer deals to be had and big bang for your buck.

-Jon
2016 HB Camaro 1SS A8 with MRC and NPP 398rwhp/389tq stock #s(11.84 @ 117 DR only, ECS boost 550rwhp/510tq (dynapack #s) , same boost + AEM water/meth + ARH Headers/mids 600 rwhp+ (dynojet #s) TTP)10.8 @ 129.
2020 Ford Explorer
2003 SVT Cobra Coupe (just your average KB Terminator Cobra).
2013 Focus ST (e30 Tuned).
2004 Dodge 3500 Cummins Dually 6 spd manual (tow rig).
1997 Jeep Cherokee (Lifted and Locked XJ off-road rig).
RageWorx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2020, 12:47 AM   #21
RobbyBeefcake87

Drives: 2018 Camaro SS 1LE
Quote:
That dude is only gonna put himself in races where he has the advantage. So I don't take anything he has to say seriously. Even against the Z06 the advantage goes to the GT500 since the LT4 has been unchanged since 2015. Anywhere other than a prepped surface in the most amazing conditions and the GT500 will lose. And even if it does run 10s it most likely will only do it one time during that entire day.

Thanks. Corrected.
The z06 ran just as fast as his gt500 on their fastest time, but lost in the head up race.. not bad for 650hp.

Still the guy claimed that he was on old crap tires and Stangmode claimed he was too... right lol he's either on r888r's or mickeys, so crappy lol.
2018 Camaro SS 1LE - GM cai, black bowties, suede knee bolsters, 1le plate frame, black fuel door, dark tails + 3rd brake light, euro side markers + led's, GM all weather floor mats, velossatech big mouth, GM strut brace.
2017 Corvette Grandsport (sold) - untouched.
2006 GTO (sold) - iat relocation, air box mod, monero side marker lights.
RobbyBeefcake87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2020, 12:52 AM   #22
RobbyBeefcake87

Quote:
A heads cam fbo ss 1le, would be cheaper, faster, lighter, and have all the handling bits of a zl1..... no warranty though lol.
2018 Camaro SS 1LE - GM cai, black bowties, suede knee bolsters, 1le plate frame, black fuel door, dark tails + 3rd brake light, euro side markers + led's, GM all weather floor mats, velossatech big mouth, GM strut brace.
Old 03-27-2020, 04:24 AM   #23
BlaqWhole
Account Suspended

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobbyBeefcake87 View Post
A heads cam fbo ss 1le, would be cheaper, faster, lighter, and have all the handling bits of a zl1..... no warranty though lol.
That is true. But I failed to mention that I meant a SS optioned similarly to the ZL1. A lot of SS Camaros I saw were in the low to mid $50K range. A little more gets you the ZL1.
Old 03-27-2020, 04:28 AM   #24
BlaqWhole
Account Suspended

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobbyBeefcake87 View Post
The z06 ran just as fast as his gt500 on their fastest time, but lost in the head up race.. not bad for 650hp.

Still the guy claimed that he was on old crap tires and Stangmode claimed he was too... right lol he's either on r888r's or mickeys, so crappy lol.
Mustang guys always have some excuse whenever they lose a race. Back when I was racing in Mexico if you lost you lost. No excuses. You simply shook hands or gave a thumbs up or said "good race" and that was that. These guys these days have such horrible egos that they just can't admit to losing. It's always tires, tune, 20 MPH headwinds, DA, this, that. Especially tires. Who races on bad tires anyway? BS excuse.
Old 03-27-2020, 09:17 AM   #25
RobbyBeefcake87

Quote:
Mustang guys always have some excuse whenever they lose a race. Back when I was racing in Mexico if you lost you lost. No excuses. You simply shook hands or gave a thumbs up or said "good race" and that was that. These guys these days have such horrible egos that they just can't admit to losing. It's always tires, tune, 20 MPH headwinds, DA, this, that. Especially tires. Who races on bad tires anyway? BS excuse.
Or atleast guys with a "name". Here in Tampa the Meixco Racing scene is still pretty laid back and cool, even if they're mustang guys lol