Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > Technical Camaro Topics > Camaro DIY & HOW-TO instructions & discussions

AWE Tuning

Old 07-29-2019, 03:00 PM   #1
BOYD3800SII

Drives: 2017 RS CAMARO V6
LED SIDE MARKER TO TURN SIGNALS

Has anyone out there tried this? Looks like it can easily be done with 4 separate SPDT 5 pin relays. Here are a couple of videos on the mod for other cars. I am curious to see what it would look like on the 6th Gen Camaro. I really think it would work better if you are already using the LED side markers which are brighter than the stock ones. We don't have turn signals in our side mirrors and It looks to be an cheap/easy mod which could help with visibility.

https://youtu.be/n2sqdzgdl1A

Thoughts, opinions, and tech advice are more than welcome.
BOYD3800SII is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2019, 08:12 PM   #2
Trochoidal

Drives: 2017 Camaro 2SS A8
I’d suspect that as long as the BCM doesn’t mind the relay this should work. I’m willing to get the parts and give it a try.

Also, I’d like to have the side marker light when the front turn signal isn’t lit.

Originally Posted by arpad_m - “Aww, yet another oil thread with almost the same question in the OP“
Trochoidal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2019, 08:55 PM   #3
BOYD3800SII

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trochoidal View Post
I’d suspect that as long as the BCM doesn’t mind the relay this should work. I’m willing to get the parts and give it a try.

Also, I’d like to have the side marker light when the front turn signal isn’t lit.
Yes... the SPDT relay will allow that already. the sidemarker stays on and turns off and on when the turn signal is engaged. I think you can prevent any BCM issues by using a one way Capacitor spliced inline with the turn signal bulb. here is a link to the diagram too

http://i1176.photobucket.com/albums/...pswjtmzp20.png
Old 07-29-2019, 09:02 PM   #4
Trochoidal

Good to know! Thanks for the diagram.

Originally Posted by arpad_m - “Aww, yet another oil thread with almost the same question in the OP“
Old 08-25-2019, 11:23 PM   #5
BOYD3800SII

FINALLY COMPLETED. I'm going to go over what I did in this thread and how I also added switchback led turn signals. They only cost me $20 on ebay. PART 7440 with resistors. they actually dont fit the hole in the back of the headlamp. sooooo... this is how you get them to work. Here is a link to the finished work:

https://youtu.be/kjPKYOYlOBk
Attached Images

Last edited by BOYD3800SII; 08-25-2019 at 11:56 PM.
Old 08-25-2019, 11:30 PM   #6
BOYD3800SII

If you have the grommet that goes to a set of hid bulbs you can easily remove it by trimming a small hole in the middle. After you take the grommet out simply put a small amount of WD-40 on it and insert it into the factory turn signal hole. Gently push the rubber piece in until it fully seats around the entire hole. Finally push the led straight into the hole until it locks in place. Take caution to not use too much force and knock the grommet to the inside of the housing.
Attached Images

Last edited by BOYD3800SII; 08-26-2019 at 11:32 AM.
Old 08-26-2019, 11:26 PM   #7
Trochoidal

Quote:
Originally Posted by BOYD3800SII View Post
FINALLY COMPLETED. I'm going to go over what I did in this thread and how I also added switchback led turn signals. They only cost me $20 on ebay. PART 7440 with resistors. they actually dont fit the hole in the back of the headlamp. sooooo... this is how you get them to work. Here is a link to the finished work:

https://youtu.be/kjPKYOYlOBk
The video is exactly what I was hoping you would post. I already have SPDT relays. I’ll grab a few more parts and make this happen.

Did you complete the same process for the rear side markers too?

Thanks for making this thread.

Old 08-27-2019, 07:35 AM   #8
Gary H

Drives: Camaro ZL1
I used the relay from Daniel Stern lighting - very easy to fit and gives you the option of keeping our markers and/or flashing them in sync (not out of phase) with the indicators.

Velossa intake, Rotofab, Mamo TB, Custom ported NX Lid & Jokerz Full tilt ported LT4 charger, 3 port CoolingMist Meth injection - ATI 15% lower pulley, E2X CC, TSP ceramic coated longtubes, de-cat and Borla 60608 to NPP box, JRE tune, BMR rear control & trailing arms, lock-out kit, lowering springs and front strut brace, Custom carbon trim interior, Xpel ultimate front PPF and Prestige window tint with Chameleon Windscreen tint...ever evolving...
Gary H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2019, 09:13 AM   #9
BOYD3800SII

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trochoidal View Post
The video is exactly what I was hoping you would post. I already have SPDT relays. I’ll grab a few more parts and make this happen.

Did you complete the same process for the rear side markers too?

Thanks for making this thread.
I did not do the backs because I replaced the lower valence reflectors with some turn signals already. If you go back to the video and look closely at the shot where the camera is featuring the passenger side, you can CLEARLY see the rear turn signal lighting up the ground. LOL! They are super bright. Also The only thing to remember is that you want to mount the relays where they wont get wet. The ones I used actually are weather proof and water proof so I mounted them close to the led side markers
Old 08-27-2019, 09:23 AM   #10
BOYD3800SII

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gary H View Post
I used the relay from Daniel Stern lighting - very easy to fit and gives you the option of keeping our markers and/or flashing them in sync (not out of phase) with the indicators.
Does that relay system also bypass the factory headlight control? The way mine are wired up you have to take manual control of the headlights by moving the selector switch. In other words the LEDS, SIDEMARKERS, and switchback functions don't come on until its dark outside or you manually switch them on.
Old 08-27-2019, 12:26 PM   #11
Gary H

Drives: Camaro ZL1
Fully automatic. Only work as indicators when lights are off, markers come on with auto lights, then flash in sync with the indicators

https://www.danielsternlighting.com/...rkerflash.html

Velossa intake, Rotofab, Mamo TB, Custom ported NX Lid & Jokerz Full tilt ported LT4 charger, 3 port CoolingMist Meth injection - ATI 15% lower pulley, E2X CC, TSP ceramic coated longtubes, de-cat and Borla 60608 to NPP box, JRE tune, BMR rear control & trailing arms, lock-out kit, lowering springs and front strut brace, Custom carbon trim interior, Xpel ultimate front PPF and Prestige window tint with Chameleon Windscreen tint...ever evolving...
Gary H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2019, 02:08 PM   #12
BOYD3800SII

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gary H View Post
Fully automatic. Only work as indicators when lights are off, markers come on with auto lights, then flash in sync with the indicators

https://www.danielsternlighting.com/...rkerflash.html
Thats some good stuff right there!
Old 08-29-2019, 03:08 PM   #13
OVERPAR73
2018 Garnet Red ZL1 conve

Drives: 2013 & 2018 ZL1 vert
I have the Oracle LED side markers, can you go over exactly how you wired them to flash with the turn signals? I think I'm missing something? I also have the Oracle LED headlights and fog lights.
Old 08-30-2019, 08:11 AM   #14
BOYD3800SII

Quote:
Originally Posted by OVERPAR73 View Post
I have the Oracle LED side markers, can you go over exactly how you wired them to flash with the turn signals? I think I'm missing something? I also have the Oracle LED headlights and fog lights.
Yeah, you might just need that information. I forgot to post the pics of how I did it. First of all it is much easier to complete this when the bumper is off but it is not 100% necessary. There are a couple of ways to wire the relays, but I decided to wire everything to the factory harness and use quick connects from the relays. Here ya go:

Remove the turn signal holders you will notice that the positive side on the drivers is blue/ white and the positive side on passenger bulb is green. The side marker positive is purple, for both drivers and passenger side (same wire). I adapted the diagram to fit our cars wires.

Look at the diagram and use it as a reference for each side. The side marker will alternate off and on in conjunction with the turn signal.
Attached Images