Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > Technical Camaro Topics > Camaro Issues / Problems | Warranty Discussions | TSB and Recalls

BeckyD @ James Martin Chevy

Old 11-10-2018, 01:18 PM   #1
ChillaxAttack

Drives: 2017 Camaro 2SS
Exclamation Oil Exiting Exhaust

Been a few weeks since I drove the car, so I decided to start it up and run it for a bit today to circulate the fluids and get the battery some charge.

After warming up I gave it a couple revs (~4000 rpm). After getting out I noticed a large spray of oil that had blown out of the exhaust. I also smelled a burning smell. After a few minutes at idle the smell dissipated and oil stopped dripping from exhaust. Tried another couple of revs to see if problem persists and it did. Small amount of white smoke from the pipes, but hard to tell if it was smoke or condensation due to it being cold out.

Only aftermarket parts installed are CAI, catch can, and cat back exhaust.

Anyone have similar issues? Thanks
ChillaxAttack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2018, 01:30 PM   #2
vtirocz

Drives: 2017 Camaro 1SS M6
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChillaxAttack View Post
Been a few weeks since I drove the car, so I decided to start it up and run it for a bit today to circulate the fluids and get the battery some charge.

After warming up I gave it a couple revs (~4000 rpm). After getting out I noticed a large spray of oil that had blown out of the exhaust. I also smelled a burning smell. After a few minutes at idle the smell dissipated and oil stopped dripping from exhaust. Tried another couple of revs to see if problem persists and it did. Small amount of white smoke from the pipes, but hard to tell if it was smoke or condensation due to it being cold out.

Only aftermarket parts installed are CAI, catch can, and cat back exhaust.

Anyone have similar issues? Thanks
Are you sure it was oil, or could it be a mixture of soot and water (byproduct of combustion)? Under the cold start conditions you described, it wouldn't be unusual for water to drip out of the exhaust (I don't think the aftermarket systems have weep holes) and there would already be PM/soot in the exhaust to make that water black.

Just a thought.

Best 1/4 Mile: 12.24 @ 115.9 mph
vtirocz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2018, 01:32 PM   #3
ChillaxAttack

Drives: 2017 Camaro 2SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by vtirocz View Post
Are you sure it was oil, or could it be a mixture of soot and water (byproduct of combustion)? Under the cold start conditions you described, it wouldn't be unusual for water to drip out of the exhaust (I don't think the aftermarket systems have weep holes) and there would already be PM/soot in the exhaust to make that water black.

Just a thought.
I had the same thought, but the burning smell made me think it might be more than just soot and water.
ChillaxAttack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2018, 06:16 PM   #4
SSDan

Drives: 2016 1SS 6MT NPP
Quote:
Originally Posted by vtirocz View Post

Just a thought.
I agree with this. When its colder and its been a while since tbe last start mine blows out some black snot too. If it was oil it would show up as blue smoke versus dripping oil.

OP get out there and drive that thing and blow out the snot!

2010 Camaro 2SS Cam/Headers/CAI/3.91 gears
476 rwhp/440 rwtq (sold)
SSDan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2018, 07:27 AM   #5
Rock-It Man
376 cubic inches of fun

Drives: 2023 Camaro ZL1 A10
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChillaxAttack View Post
I had the same thought, but the burning smell made me think it might be more than just soot and water.
Jeez put your finger in it and find out!

The mufflers have drain holes to let the condensate out. When you run the car with a cold exhaust system, a LOT of water condenses out in the mufflers. Water is one of the two major products of combustion, the other being CO2.

By the way, starting your car just to idle it is bad for that very reason. Water collects in the exhaust and even in the oil pan when the engine is not up to temperature. If you're concerned about the state of your battery when the car is sitting, get a battery tender and do not start the car until you're going somewhere.
Rock-It Man is offline   Reply With Quote