Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Vararam
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Camaro Issues / Problems | Warranty Discussions | TSB and Recalls

Old 09-25-2014, 12:38 PM   #1
mpsgolf

Drives: 2012 Camaro SS Transformer
High Wing Spoiler Cracks!!

I have a 2012 Transformer edition SS with the high wing spoiler.

Over 1-2 years I have had a growing problem and when I took it to my local dealer he called it "damage" and won't cover it!! Scum!! How did I damage it over 1-2 years?? By opening and closing the trunk!!??

First the screws holding the third brake light to the spoiler began to back out so I locktited them in. Fixed right? NO.

Then the brake light housing began to crack around the screws. Eventually they broke altogether. Turns out there is a GM Technical bulletin on this, #PI0685. Guess the dealer neglected to look this up!!

So I took it to the dealer for a new brake light. He took the light off and found cracks under the light in the spoiler itself. They grew from the holes out, and only in the area of depression under the light. He said it was damaged and they wouldn't do it under warranty! I guess I repeatedly took the light out and abused the area under the light until it cracked. Idiot.

I have called GM and filed a complaint with customer service. So far about 3 weeks of run around over what is plainly an engineering design issue that they won't stand behind (sounds kinda like what's going on with their CEO in front of Congress over poor engineering they tried to hide, huh?).

Anyway, anyone else had trouble with their high wing spoiler and/or third brake light? Would love to tell the GM customer service this is a recurring problem if that's the case.

Guess I'll be putting off my cat-back and high flow cats to pay for a new spoiler that should never have broken in the first place.
Mods: trunk subwoofer and amp, LED lighting (fogs, interior, trunk), skip shift eliminator, CAI cold air kit, Vmax ported throttle body, Stainless Works retro chambered cat back, JBA Cat4ward SS ceramic coated headers
Potential Next Mods: Tune, F&R sway bars, rear cradle bushing inserts and trailing arms
mpsgolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2014, 07:54 PM   #2
lawdog

Drives: 2010 SSII w RS & Sunroof Yellow
Your obviously driving well over the expected speed limits and asserting way too much drag on the part that it was not designed for. Lol

those high spoilers are never meant to last on any car.

However, they should cover that, I would not be happy, stay on them.
lawdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2014, 07:55 PM   #3
Need4speed_motorsports

Drives: 2016 Camaro SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by lawdog View Post
Your obviously driving well over the expected speed limits and asserting way too much drag on the part that it was not designed for. Lol

those high spoilers are never meant to last on any car.
Agreed
Need4speed_motorsports is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2014, 08:00 PM   #4
mpsgolf

Drives: 2012 Camaro SS Transformer
Smile

Guilty on the too fast part!!!
Mods: trunk subwoofer and amp, LED lighting (fogs, interior, trunk), skip shift eliminator, CAI cold air kit, Vmax ported throttle body, Stainless Works retro chambered cat back, JBA Cat4ward SS ceramic coated headers
Potential Next Mods: Tune, F&R sway bars, rear cradle bushing inserts and trailing arms
mpsgolf is offline   Reply With Quote