Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Bigwormgraphix
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Camaro V8 LS3 / L99 Engine, Exhaust, and Bolt-Ons

Old 07-29-2009, 03:57 PM   #29
scrming
Red Brick of Vengeance!

Drives: 12 Second Brick
basically I've been following this kind of break in with my cars and bikes... never a problem...

http://www.mototuneusa.com/break_in_secrets.htm

BTW... picked the car up on Wednesday and had her at the strip on Sunday... LOL
scrming is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2009, 04:05 PM   #30
FNKNSTN
Banned

Drives: A Black Car
Quote:
Originally Posted by ElAntonius View Post
It strikes me as strange, as well, that the car would rob you of power-on-demand just because you drive like a sensible human being most of the time...the concept just seems so silly.

Not that I'm dismissing what people are saying here...but if it's the case I would really hope that GM changes that, or limits it.

Ideally, I would think it should be:
D: Drives like I usually do, the "learned" setting
S: Optimizes for maximum power delivery regardless of how I usually drive. What the hell is the point of Sport mode if not to maximize performance?
Pretty much. Don't believe what you hear until you see GM documentation.

Quote:
Originally Posted by irpq11 View Post
What are you talking about man? I broke mine in to the letter of GMs procedure. Went out of my way to do so too.
So you didn't
Quote:
drive the heck out of the car so the manufacturer didn't have to deal
with it?

Quote:
Keeps people afraid to really drive the heck out of the cars so the manufacturers don't have to deal with them. I think it's a myth. Where are the stats to back this up? Sure, if you drive like your driving Mrs. Daisy then it may last longer. I didn't buy this car to go 300,000 miles. I'll be moding it and redoing it anyway eventually wether I need to or not.
You say you followed GM's break in procedure.

Then you say the break in period is a myth to keep people afraid, so they'd take it easy on a car and don't break the engine within warranty.

So why did you follow the break in rules?

Especially if you're going to be making modifications that will void the warranty anyway.

Quote:
Well seasoned? WTH does that mean? One that is bone stock 5 yrs from now. I can pretty well gaurantee mine won't be.
You can't put 2 and 2 together for yourself? Doesn't surprise me.

Quote:
They will. I broke my car in the way they told me to.
Mmmmmmmmmmmm yummmmmy

FNKNSTN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2009, 04:07 PM   #31
Verio
Taking it 1 day at a time

Drives: 2010 Chevy Camaro 2SS/RS Auto
Send a message via MSN to Verio
Quote:
Originally Posted by FNKNSTN View Post
Verierio - read the whole comment before you reply. My concern about the warranty was followed by a "(?)"

¿Bueno?

Sorry, I don't speak spanish. And I'm assuming you're responding to me because of the quoted text, even though you butchered my name when you responded. Not sure if it's intentional, or a possible reading problem (?)
Verio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2009, 04:19 PM   #32
PQ
Booooosted.

Drives: 2010 Supercharged SS
Send a message via Yahoo to PQ
Quote:
You say you followed GM's break in procedure.

Then you say the break in period is a myth to keep people afraid, so they'd take it easy on a car and don't break the engine within warranty.

So why did you follow the break in rules?

Especially if you're going to be making modifications that will void the warranty anyway.
I followed it because the book said so. Then I had a slow car. Then I started to look into it. Then I learned a few things and talked to people.

Basically I've recently learned these things. It's called trial and error. I tried it. I didn't like the results. If you read the thread, you'll understand this.

And those Marlboros DO actually look pretty good.

Not sure why you did that though. How old are you? Really?
Old 07-29-2009, 04:23 PM   #33
NAHURRY
Love's to Detail

Drives: 2010 SS,97silverado/08crewcab
Somebody must have a teenage hang-over
NAHURRY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2009, 04:29 PM   #34
FNKNSTN
Banned

Quote:
I followed it because the book said so. Then I had a slow car. Then I started to look into it. Then I learned a few things and talked to people.

Basically I've recently learned these things. It's called trial and error. I tried it. I didn't like the results. If you read the thread, you'll understand this.

And those Marlboros DO actually look pretty good.

Not sure why you did that though. How old are you? Really?
Well that's why I brought up the idea of a race between two identical cars that were broken in differently.

I don't know if you have a manual or an automatic... but I drive my SS auto as fast as I can get away with, and it still shifts gears at pretty low RPM's.

I have about 900 miles on it now. I'd say the engine runs smoother than it originally did. The accelerator is very responsive, and I'm still getting used to a carburetor-free automobile.

And I just don't get it whenever I read a thread about someone with their "slow" Camaro. I weigh my Camaro at work almost daily as I drive in... sit on the truck scale and it only breaks 2 tons with a full tank and me sitting in it. My Camaro is fast as hell, and I have yet to put the pedal to the metal.

EDIT: I don't see why people don't trust the book... because they think they know better than a company that is older than they are.
Old 07-29-2009, 04:30 PM   #35
ibznu2010

Drives: 2010 blk 2SS RS polished wheel
was pretty hard on my L99 and it runs good i think. Havent taken to track yet. 2500 miles. Added hennesey CAI monday & you really here the air being pulled in now. oil was changed at 1000 miles. She really feels stronger than my 96 camaro that run 8.68 at 82 mph in eighth. good luck to all. i will post times when i go to track.
ibznu2010 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2009, 04:33 PM   #36
Rikarus
I can't tpye!

Drives: 2010 RS/SS Victory Red
Quote:
Why?

Jsut worked out that way,damn stop signs!!!

You posted about flaming below mine....that wasn't directed at me was it? :(
Rikarus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2009, 04:47 PM   #37
PQ
Booooosted.

Quote:
Well that's why I brought up the idea of a race between two identical cars that were broken in differently.

I don't know if you have a manual or an automatic... but I drive my SS auto as fast as I can get away with, and it still shifts gears at pretty low RPM's.

I have about 900 miles on it now. I'd say the engine runs smoother than it originally did. The accelerator is very responsive, and I'm still getting used to a carburetor-free automobile.

And I just don't get it whenever I read a thread about someone with their "slow" Camaro. I weigh my Camaro at work almost daily as I drive in... sit on the truck scale and it only breaks 2 tons with a full tank and me sitting in it. My Camaro is fast as hell, and I have yet to put the pedal to the metal.

EDIT: I don't see why people don't trust the book... because they think they know better than a company that is older than they are.
Bottom line is some of these cars are accelerating at the same speed the V6s are. Which shouldn't be happening. So in trying to figure out the problem, we beggan to put our heads together and see if we could figure it out. The guys that are having problems with acceleration seem to have one thing in common as opposed to the ones who have been getting the correct acceleration times. That common thread we finally figured out is that we ALL followed the GM break in.

So fine. IF driving it hard from the beggining makes it not last as long then I guess you have a car that will need some repairs after 150,000 miles or so. And you'll have a fast car.

If you baby it like GM wants you too you get a car that MIGHT last longer but may have a slow car.

I'll take the fast car option. I would LOVE to keep my warranty intact but if it means the difference between a slow car and a fast car, I'll take the fast car and no warranty.

It just sucks that I have to make that choice.

Bottom line is. I have NOT been really excited about my car. It may be showing signs of 'waking up' but until I can get better times I am not really happy. AND, if it takes driving it like crazy after your break in period, I'll pass next time.
Old 07-29-2009, 04:49 PM   #38
PQ
Booooosted.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rikarus View Post
Jsut worked out that way,damn stop signs!!!

You posted about flaming below mine....that wasn't directed at me was it? :(
Wouldn't worry too much.

Quote:
Originally Posted by in a hurry View Post
Somebody must have a teenage hang-over
Old 07-29-2009, 05:03 PM   #39
FNKNSTN
Banned

Quote:
Bottom line is some of these cars are accelerating at the same speed the V6s are. Which shouldn't be happening. So in trying to figure out the problem, we beggan to put our heads together and see if we could figure it out. The guys that are having problems with acceleration seem to have one thing in common as opposed to the ones who have been getting the correct acceleration times. That common thread we finally figured out is that we ALL followed the GM break in.

So fine. IF driving it hard from the beggining makes it not last as long then I guess you have a car that will need some repairs after 150,000 miles or so. And you'll have a fast car.

If you baby it like GM wants you too you get a car that MIGHT last longer but may have a slow car.

I'll take the fast car option. I would LOVE to keep my warranty intact but if it means the difference between a slow car and a fast car, I'll take the fast car and no warranty.

It just sucks that I have to make that choice.

Bottom line is. I have NOT been really excited about my car. It may be showing signs of 'waking up' but until I can get better times I am not really happy. AND, if it takes driving it like crazy after your break in period, I'll pass next time.
I'd love to drive a V6 that's as fast as my car.

I've driven a couple fast V6's... but they were considerably lighter.

Time for a break...

Old 07-29-2009, 05:15 PM   #40
PQ
Booooosted.

*I'll be outside*
Old 07-29-2009, 05:27 PM   #41
PQ
Booooosted.

Old 07-31-2009, 08:45 AM   #42
Diabel1969

Drives: 2010 2SS, A6
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moderator4SS View Post
Out of curiosity, has anyone followed the instructions listed in the Owners Manual?

For the first 2 414 km/
1,500 miles:
• Avoid full throttle starts and
abrupt stops.
• Do not exceed
4,000 engine rpm.
• Avoid driving at any one
constant speed, fast or slow.

These guidelines seem somewhat restrictive...

Uh.. NO!

I'm a firm believer of drive it how your going to drive it from the first turn of the key!. The only break in period to me is Cam break in, change the fluids to rid it of the break in lube, and RUN IT!. We built a nice small block for my old malibu in 1996, and it was turning 7200 rpm once the cam was broke in, and it's still together, and still carrying 60lbs oil pressure cold, and 55lbs hot, no smoke, no ticks, no issues.
Diabel1969 is offline   Reply With Quote