Homepage Garage Wiki Register Members List Social Groups Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > I4 Turbo LTG Engine, Exhaust, and Bolt-Ons

JUICEDMOTORSPORTS

Old 06-30-2016, 09:36 AM   #1
Mishimoto

Drives: Mostly Stock
Mishimoto Camaro 2.0T Performance Intake Development

“The TurboChevy”: 2016+ Chevy Camaro 2.0T Performance Intake R&D, Part 1: The Stock System

Chevy really decided to make history with this brand-new Camaro. It has the smallest motor ever offered in a Camaro and also marks the first Camaro with a four-cylinder power-plant since the third generation. This is also the first time any Camaro has been offered with a factory-installed turbocharger. To put that in perspective, the last time any Chevy even offered a factory-turbocharged, rear wheel drive vehicle with a manual transmission was back in the 1960’s with the Corvair! My parents weren’t even out of grade school yet!

This 2.0L turbocharged LTG Ecotec motor puts out a factory-rated 275hp with 295ft-lbs of torque at the crank. If you haven’t already, see below for a quick clip of the stock dyno pulls we made on this car to see what numbers we were able to get!

This Camaro has an interesting stock intake system under the hood. The airbox has a few visual similarities to the 2016+ Camaro SS intake airbox. There is a unique way that this TurboChevy draws air into the system. Let’s jump right into it.

Pictured above is the complete stock intake setup. The rubber elbow has a fairly sharp bend radius, but we plan to eliminate that in our design – the straighter the airflow, the better! Let’s take a closer look at the airbox.

As you can see, the airbox is fairly standard. There is a mass airflow (MAF) straightener built into the housing, similar to the design for the Camaro SS intake airbox. The bottom half has the scoop that directs air into the intake. Let’s move on to the intake tube.

This tube is unique not only because of the sharp bend, but also for what is inside. This is a two-part intake tube, and separating it reveals a distinctive feature that Chevy opted to include in this application.

This elbow reduces from a 3.5 inch inlet down to 2 inches, which is the diameter of the turbo compressor wheel opening. Look at the side-by-side comparison below.

You may now be wondering “What’s with all the restriction?” It has to do with the second part of this intake tube assembly.

That beige plastic piece in the intake muffles the sound of the turbo induction to help quiet things down a bit. Even though it is removable, however, it’s still a pretty restrictive piece. When we took it out, it gave off the wonderful aroma of oil and fuel – the two things you don’t want to be smelling in your intake system. We plan to have a fix for that later down the road. Speaking of which, look at the residue left inside the housing.

The shiny material along part of the interior pictured above is a very thin but clearly noticeable coating of oil. Our TurboChevy has only a few hundred miles on it, and to see this already is a bit of an issue. Can you say “catch can”?! But I digress – this is an intake post!

What's Next?

Without giving too much away yet, we already have a few design ideas in the works and we have begun testing as well. Stay tuned for the next post as we dive right into some prototype designs!

Last edited by Mishimoto; 09-22-2016 at 02:01 PM.
Mishimoto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2016, 11:22 AM   #2
my1stchevy

Drives: 2016 Camaro HBM 2SS NPP MRC
This is great info!
my1stchevy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2016, 01:35 PM   #3
RedonBlackRS

Drives: 1LT RS 2.0T 8A HD
I might start regretting ordering ZZP's intake tube, depending on your price. I'm excited to see what you guys can do!
RedonBlackRS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2016, 01:59 PM   #4
Mishimoto

Quote:
Originally Posted by my1stchevy View Post
This is great info!
Thank you! I'm glad you find it useful. More to come.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedonBlackRS View Post
I might start regretting ordering ZZP's intake tube, depending on your price. I'm excited to see what you guys can do!
You'll soon find out! Updates are on the horizon.
Old 06-30-2016, 06:58 PM   #5
Ashiu

Drives: Camaro 2.0t, 300zx TT, LSTT Mustang
Thumbs up again. Above and beyond!
Ashiu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2016, 07:08 PM   #6
rorymick

Drives: 2016 Camaro RS 1LT 2.0L Turbo
Please guys if you could build one that the filter box is NOT black painted sheet metal with weather stripping on it...that would be great!

Keep up the good work! Was kinda neat seeing your blog stuff!
Old 06-30-2016, 07:25 PM   #7
rorymick

Drives: 2016 Camaro RS 1LT 2.0L Turbo
Mind you...as long as the air is being filtered. And intercooled. It doesn't really matter where the air is being pulled from. However it does seem like a good idea to have as cold air as possible being pulled in pre filter. Stock location is straight from front grill.

My 76mm turbo 370 ci had the cone filter right on the turbo inlet.

Also had a large intercooler and methanol injection though.
Old 07-01-2016, 08:27 AM   #8
Mishimoto

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ashiu View Post
Thumbs up again. Above and beyond!
Much appreciated!

Quote:
Originally Posted by rorymick View Post
Please guys if you could build one that the filter box is NOT black painted sheet metal with weather stripping on it...that would be great!

Keep up the good work! Was kinda neat seeing your blog stuff!
Quote:
Originally Posted by rorymick View Post
Mind you...as long as the air is being filtered. And intercooled. It doesn't really matter where the air is being pulled from. However it does seem like a good idea to have as cold air as possible being pulled in pre filter. Stock location is straight from front grill.

My 76mm turbo 370 ci had the cone filter right on the turbo inlet.

Also had a large intercooler and methanol injection though.
Thanks for the kind words! You're right about the filtered air, that is indeed pivotal. What will also be very important in this design is how we route the intake tube. There is some distance from the turbo to the airbox, and the routing can have an effect on the airflow. We'll see how that goes!

So far, all of our intake boxes have been powder-coated black for a few reasons. We do this to help alleviate some of the heat surrounding the filter. The weather stripping around the filter opening helps stop movement from engine torque, keeping intake pipes and MAF housings securely in place, and it also prevents debris from entering the airbox. Let me know your comments!
Old 07-13-2016, 03:35 PM   #9
EagleRS

Drives: Nightfall Grey 2.0L Turbo
Question:

Is the beige piece that resides in the second part of the intake tube removable? Will the ECU throw an engine light? Thanks for the awesome insight and knowledge.

EagleRS
EagleRS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2016, 03:27 PM   #10
Ink28

Drives: 2.0t
Any updates
Ink28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2016, 07:32 AM   #11
Mishimoto

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ink28 View Post
Any updates
We are still in the midst of testing, but we are indeed gathering and compiling data for the next update. Stay tuned!
Old 08-02-2016, 09:10 AM   #12
Nate...

Drives: 2016 Camaro LTG
Thank you for the detailed first post! Subscribed for more development updates.
Old 08-03-2016, 10:33 AM   #13
ScottySheppard

Drives: 2016 2LT RS
What about us V6 guys who are still waiting?

11/30/15--1100
12/10/15--2000
12/16/15--3000
01/06/16--3300
01/07/16--3400
01/25/16--3800 1G1FC1RS8G0142935
01/25/16--4000
01/27/16--4B00
02/06-16--4300
02/22/16--6000
ScottySheppard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2016, 11:39 AM   #14
Evil-Bee-NH
603 Camaros

Drives: 2017 NGM I4 1LT Coupe
Quote:
Originally Posted by ScottySheppard View Post
What about us V6 guys who are still waiting?
But it's just a V6.

couldn't help it.

MY 2017 I4 CAMARO BUILD JOURNAL | YOUTUBE | INSTAGRAM | 307RWHP - 329 RWTQ HPTUNERS DYNO TUNE
Evil-Bee-NH is offline   Reply With Quote