Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Bigwormgraphix
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > 5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions

Old 02-21-2008, 07:27 PM   #15
Emu the Foo

Drives: 92 Cadillac Sedan DeVille S/C
Send a message via AIM to Emu the Foo Send a message via Yahoo to Emu the Foo
i Know im a yougling here in this forum, but isn't the cobalt supercharged from the factory not turbo'd??? but i may be wrong, reason i say this is my friend is a ricer (almost convinced me) and i hear all these things bout sport compacts. but he is usually wrong because he says ss mean super charged. but i beleive there is a ss s/c coblat and there would be obviously no turbo lag there. just my two cents
Old 02-21-2008, 07:30 PM   #16
Mr. Wyndham
I used to be Dragoneye...

Drives: 2018 ZL1 1LE
Send a message via AIM to Mr. Wyndham
Quote:
Originally Posted by Emu the Foo View Post
i Know im a yougling here in this forum, but isn't the cobalt supercharged from the factory not turbo'd??? but i may be wrong, reason i say this is my friend is a ricer (almost convinced me) and i hear all these things bout sport compacts. but he is usually wrong because he says ss mean super charged. but i beleive there is a ss s/c coblat and there would be obviously no turbo lag there. just my two cents
It was. But they are releasing a newer model that has a Turbo instead of a blower. <- That's the car that will have this feature.

So you weren't wrong, per say. Just out of date.

As for you're friend. Tell him:

SS does NOT stand for Supercharger...it stands for Super Sport (on Chevrolets.) last time I checked...SC was the universal SuperCharger abreviation.
Old 02-21-2008, 07:30 PM   #17
radz28
Petro-sexual

Drives: Ultra-Grin
I think the S/C'd version has been superceeded by a turbo; I could be wrong on this though. I do defenately remember the Cobalt first had the S/C on it though, for sure.

'20 ZL1 Black "Fury"
A10, PDR, Exposed CF Extractor
Magnuson Magnum DI TVS2650R // RFBG // Soler 103 // TooHighPSI Port Injection // THPSI Billet Lid // FF // Katech Drop-In // PLM Heat Exchanger // ZLE Cradle bushings // BMR Chassis-Suspension Stuff // aFe Bars // Diode Dynamics LEDs // ACS Composites Guards // CF Dash // Aeroforce // tint // other stuffs
radz28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2008, 07:35 PM   #18
Emu the Foo

Drives: 92 Cadillac Sedan DeVille S/C
Send a message via AIM to Emu the Foo Send a message via Yahoo to Emu the Foo
well thanks. im gettin too old for what i do. but my friend is dumb. i dont see what the point is in souping up a four banger when you can have, lets say a camaro. i will blow him outta the water. in a few years but i think hes going to push he to the limit. then again, camaro will win, again and again and again

oh and he should know what ss means but i dont think we wants to admit it to me
Old 02-22-2008, 12:23 PM   #19
Power Junkie
GM give me my fix please!

Drives: 95 Toyota GT4
Location: England.. aka the EU's whipping boy!!! (but not for much longer, hopefully)
There are a few aftermarket ECU's that offer "flat shifting" as a set up option, personally i'm not a fan, i'd rather just have a sequential gearbox or Ferrari's F1 Paddle shift... damn that's nice.
Power Junkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2008, 12:16 PM   #20
CaptianSam
Car Garage

Drives: 350z,A4,SRT8...see sig
No Lift shift???

The 2008 Chevrolet HHR SS offers a new performance feature that allows the driver to race through the gears of its manual transmission without easing off the throttle.

The result is faster acceleration in all-out driving, as GM's ace driver John Heinricy demonstrated flinging an HHR SS around Germany's legendary Nurburgring road course last year. A video of Heinricy and the HHR's assault on the hilly race course can be found by searching www.youtube.com for "Chevy/Heinricy at Nurburgring."

No-lift shift uses an algorithm in the car's control software to keep the engine from racing to the redline if you keep the accelerator floored and slam through the gears. The result is nearly uninterrupted power and better lap times and acceleration than is possible when you ease off the throttle slightly during each shift, as is necessary with other manual transmissions.

Every HHR SS equipped with the standard manual transmission gets the no-lift shift software.

By Mark Phelan

chances of this software in the camaro?

On My Ipad
Xbox McLovin1515
Ps3 McLovin1555
Current Autos:68z28,03viperSRT10,04escalade,05RangeRoverSport SC
Project Autos:80corvette350-500hp 6speed,06charger S'C 6-speed posi,74Firebird400blue,69chevelle572 707
New Autos:2012CamaroSSRS,09ChallengerSRT8
Past Autos:....too many to list

"i told you it was gettin' an LS3"
Go down deep enough into anything and you will find mathematics. Dean Schlicter
B.Sc. Hons. Mathematics
CaptianSam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2008, 12:28 PM   #21
TAG UR IT
www.Camaro5store.com

Drives: 2014 ZL1 #705
Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptianSam View Post
The 2008 Chevrolet HHR SS offers a new performance feature that allows the driver to race through the gears of its manual transmission without easing off the throttle.

The result is faster acceleration in all-out driving, as GM's ace driver John Heinricy demonstrated flinging an HHR SS around Germany's legendary Nurburgring road course last year. A video of Heinricy and the HHR's assault on the hilly race course can be found by searching www.youtube.com for "Chevy/Heinricy at Nurburgring."

No-lift shift uses an algorithm in the car's control software to keep the engine from racing to the redline if you keep the accelerator floored and slam through the gears. The result is nearly uninterrupted power and better lap times and acceleration than is possible when you ease off the throttle slightly during each shift, as is necessary with other manual transmissions.

Every HHR SS equipped with the standard manual transmission gets the no-lift shift software.

By Mark Phelan

chances of this software in the camaro?
STOP MAKING NEW THREADS FOR THREADS THAT ALREADY EXIST.

In the nicest way I can, please use the button before making new therads. Just type in "HHR SS" and see what comes up. BAM! There was the thread. It was that easy.

No more new threads...............
TAG UR IT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2008, 09:08 PM   #22
carfansince73

Drives: Carefully
2008 Cobalt SS turbo

http://www.motortrend.com/roadtests/...ss_first_drive

Here's a 2008 Cobalt SS first drive. It's got the HHR engine, 260hp turbo. Pretty quick!
carfansince73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2008, 10:36 PM   #23
Mr. Wyndham
I used to be Dragoneye...

Drives: 2018 ZL1 1LE
Send a message via AIM to Mr. Wyndham
Quote:
Originally Posted by carfansince73 View Post
http://www.motortrend.com/roadtests/...ss_first_drive

Here's a 2008 Cobalt SS first drive. It's got the HHR engine, 260hp turbo. Pretty quick!
Welcome to Camaro5!!!

and per the link you popped up....Da-yum!!!
Old 03-07-2008, 11:37 PM   #24
CaptianSam
Car Garage

Drives: 350z,A4,SRT8...see sig
my bad lol

On My Ipad
Xbox McLovin1515
Ps3 McLovin1555
Current Autos:68z28,03viperSRT10,04escalade,05RangeRoverSport SC
Project Autos:80corvette350-500hp 6speed,06charger S'C 6-speed posi,74Firebird400blue,69chevelle572 707
New Autos:2012CamaroSSRS,09ChallengerSRT8
Past Autos:....too many to list

"i told you it was gettin' an LS3"
Go down deep enough into anything and you will find mathematics. Dean Schlicter
B.Sc. Hons. Mathematics
CaptianSam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2008, 01:11 AM   #25
Italianwhiplash

Drives: 2006 Dodge Charger r/t
I've beaten these before many of times, they are good for the price too. Though all i see are those gangster type school kids and daddy's little girl's.
Italianwhiplash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2008, 08:32 AM   #26
carfansince73

Drives: Carefully
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dragoneye View Post
Welcome to Camaro5!!!

and per the link you popped up....Da-yum!!!
Thanks. I know I'm not the first to lurk around a while before posting. I was impressed by the Brembo brakes too. The G8 GT does not even have those, but it stops well nonetheless. Brakes jobs on the G8 will be cheaper too I imagine. It will be interesting to see what GM does with the Camaro's brakes. One thing for sure no matter what caliper they choose, Brembo or generic looking, it will stop well.
carfansince73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2008, 09:53 AM   #27
AJCUSTOMS

Drives: 2010 Camaro SS/RS CGM 6A
Send a message via Yahoo to AJCUSTOMS
Quote:
Originally Posted by AirGoya View Post
This article from thegmsource on the HHR SS with the no-lift shift technology got me thinking if this would be standard or even offered on the 'maro.

My question is that would you like this on the Camaro? I think that this sounds like a cool technology but ive never driven manual. So for those who have, is this helpful and would you like this on the Camaro?
I would love to have a lift shift technology on the camaro.
AJCUSTOMS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2008, 02:24 PM   #28
blindingillusion

Drives: 2008 Chevrolet Cobalt 2LT
I don't think I would like it. Unless I could turn it off, same with that launch control. I happen to like power shifting and leaving a little rubber on the road.
-Hurst Short Throw Shifter
-20" Polished Aluminum Wheels

Has Owned:
2008 Cobalt
1996 Monte Carlo
1988 Sierra
1979 LeSabre
blindingillusion is offline   Reply With Quote