Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Tuning / Diagnostics

BeckyD @ James Martin Chevy

Old 11-05-2017, 05:22 PM   #1
Eldi Z

Drives: 17' 1SS 1LE GBA-Black
Alternative tool to the "Tech2" ?

Anyone to recommend a good and decently priced diagnostics tool / PC Application (Incl. OBD Dongle / Cable), that is almost as extensive as the official "Tech2" ? Does something of this sort exist for GM vehicles?

I am a newcomer to the GM world, coming from the VW group cars (Audi), where VAG-Com (by Ross Tech) is the best alternative to the expensive (and official / Dealers' tool) VAS.

Thanks for inputs and ideas
Eldi Z is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2017, 09:18 PM   #2
Megahurtz
Snackbar Tuning

Drives: 2023 SGM ZL1
As far as the capabilities of the Tech 2, no. The tech 2 requires the MDI interface to work with cars newer than 2013. The Tech 2 can interface with all of the cars control modules.

But there are plenty of tuning choices from HPTuners to EFI Live or a couple of Handhelds like Diablosport. These only interact with the ECU and in some cases the TCM as well.
Megahurtz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2017, 11:25 AM   #3
Eldi Z

Thanks for the input.
Yes the EFI Live and HPTuner is known, but this is mainly (if not exclusively) for the ECU and TCU.
I am looking for something more comprehensive, that can also work on other modules like the infotainment, HVAC, BCM, Etc.
I am surprised there is nothing alternative to the Tech.2 for GM vehicles.
Old 11-06-2017, 11:51 AM   #4
7WSM

Drives: 2017 ZL1 A10
The MDI is the only thing that can do it from what I have ever seen. Some of the other technician scanners can read the other modules but can't reprogram them.
7WSM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2017, 12:49 PM   #5
Megahurtz
Snackbar Tuning

Drives: 2023 SGM ZL1
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eldi Z View Post
Thanks for the input.
Yes the EFI Live and HPTuner is known, but this is mainly (if not exclusively) for the ECU and TCU.
I am looking for something more comprehensive, that can also work on other modules like the infotainment, HVAC, BCM, Etc.
I am surprised there is nothing alternative to the Tech.2 for GM vehicles.
Only the Tech2 with MDI interface can do it. You can buy knock off version from China that work. I paid $300 for a Tech2 for my 2011 Z06 and it worked just like the GM part. If I needed to do it again for my 2017 Camaro I would buy the MDI kit without hesitation. You just have to make sure the software they include for your is the latest.
Megahurtz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2017, 05:12 PM   #6
Eldi Z

Quote:
Originally Posted by Megahurtz View Post
Only the Tech2 with MDI interface can do it. You can buy knock off version from China that work. I paid $300 for a Tech2 for my 2011 Z06 and it worked just like the GM part. If I needed to do it again for my 2017 Camaro I would buy the MDI kit without hesitation. You just have to make sure the software they include for your is the latest.
So this is going to be my route then. China Tech2/ MDI kit
How much would a used genuine GM MDI Kit cost (with the latest FW)?

I also expect to purchase the HPT-Pro version when it is time to begin tuning the ECU for boost (Thinking of either a centri P1X ATI kit, or a PD, I.E. LT4 /TVS based OE system)
Old 11-09-2017, 06:36 AM   #7
Darth Martel
Darth Martel

Drives: Black 1SS with 20% tinted windows
HPTuners can also read and program the Fuel Control Module
2016 Black 1SS w/ MRC, low-gloss black wheels, auto trans. Self-created custom Dark Knight Edition accents. Rotofab CAI with dry filter and sound tube delete, PRAY ported intake manifold and throttle body, Texas Speed cam, Stainless Works headers and exhaust, Skid Mark garage E85 kit, JMS fuel pump voltage booster, Circle D torque converter. Custom E85/mod tune by Jannetty Racing.
Darth Martel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2017, 09:07 AM   #8
EFI Tuning

Drives: 2016 Camaro SS
MDI 2

https://gmtoolsandequipment.com/en-U...KU=EL-52100-AM

I'm going to be ordering one soon myself.

If you are going to modify ECM or TCM calibrations go with HP Tuners. The MDI unit will not give you that ability. If you want to re-program all modules with GM calibrations then the MDI 2 is the correct path.

Currently we can modify ECM, TCM, and FSCM calibrations with HP Tuners. EFI Live has some inadequacies on this platform.

Tim
EFI Tuning is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2017, 06:44 PM   #9
Eldi Z

Quote:
Originally Posted by EFI Tuning View Post
MDI 2

https://gmtoolsandequipment.com/en-U...KU=EL-52100-AM

I'm going to be ordering one soon myself.

If you are going to modify ECM or TCM calibrations go with HP Tuners. The MDI unit will not give you that ability. If you want to re-program all modules with GM calibrations then the MDI 2 is the correct path.

Currently we can modify ECM, TCM, and FSCM calibrations with HP Tuners. EFI Live has some inadequacies on this platform.

Tim
Thanks Tim. Good input.
I am initially looking into researching the GM calibrations only, so MDI 2. In the future, when ECM tuning comes into play when modding, then HPT Pro is on my shortlist.
Old 11-15-2017, 04:52 AM   #10
ChicagoTommy

Drives: 2017 Camaro; 2017 Acadia Denali
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eldi Z View Post
Thanks Tim. Good input.
I am initially looking into researching the GM calibrations only, so MDI 2. In the future, when ECM tuning comes into play when modding, then HPT Pro is on my shortlist.
What are you trying to do with the MDI? It will only program GM calibrations. So unless you plan on swapping your radio from one GM part to another, it's going to be pretty useless. I know you can do some trick stuff with VAG-COM, but that doesn't happen with the MDI. Best bet would be to skip it and go straight to HPT.
to invalidate anyone's personal views or thoughts, nor is it a condemnation of anyone's
race, religion, sex, sexual preferences, handicaps, or intellectual abilities.
ChicagoTommy is offline   Reply With Quote