Homepage Garage Wiki Register Social Groups Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > Technical Camaro Topics > Cosmetic Maintenance - Wash, Wax, Detailing, Exterior Repairs

Phastek Performance

View Poll Results: How clean do you keep your Camaro?
My door jambs, engine bay, wheel barrels, etc. are as clean as the rest of the car. 53 50.00%
I occasionally wipe down my door jambs, engine bay, etc. with any clean rag available after washing. 27 25.47%
People actually clean their door jambs and engine bay?!? 6 5.66%
I'm somewhere between Options 1 and 2. 19 17.92%
I'm somewhere between Options 2 and 3. 1 0.94%
Voters: 106. You may not vote on this poll

Old 08-13-2021, 08:16 PM   #15
SSJ455

Drives: "Kara Zor-El" 2017 2SS HBM
My car isn't showroom, I daily it in all sort of weather. I do clean the doorjambs and under the hood. Under the hood isn't spotless but is clean. The barrels of my wheels are clean as are the calipers. The wheel wells aren't so clean but then the material and texture GM used SUCKS! Whiskey Tango Foxtrot were they thinking?
Dangerzoooooone.

SSJ455 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2021, 10:02 PM   #16
ItsChristianInHD

Drives: 2017 Camaro 2LT RS 3.6L
I’m anal but about once a month I clean the engine bay.
ItsChristianInHD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2021, 12:46 AM   #17
JoeCamaro444

Drives: 2018 2SS M6 Hot Wheels Camaro
I’m pretty bad with it. I’m lucky I don’t make people wear ziplock bags on their feet, when…I mean if, they get in it. Always spotless. Not a dd though. I keep it showroom condition 95 percent of the time.
1988 IROC-Z (tons of mods), 1995 Z28, 1998 Z28, 2006 GTO, 2010 Camaro 1SS, 2015 Subaru STI, a couple Acuras and multiple Jeeps.
JoeCamaro444 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2021, 01:24 AM   #18
2SS Capt
2020 Shadow Gray 2SS

Drives: 2020 2SS - A10, NPP, MRC, CAI
Quote:
Originally Posted by UnknownJinX View Post
I don't do door jambs, as I would think you need to wash them with a bucket and be very careful as you rinse the foam away.

As for engine bay, I just splash car shampoo in there with foam cannon, wipe down a few things like the engine cover, and then rinse while standing some distance away from the car so the water pressure drops a bit and doesn't damage anything.
Wiping down door jambs is the easiest way to keep your car looking showroom new... Take an old microfiber towel and wipe the water from the wash out of there... My 15 year old Hyundai Santa Fe still looks fairly new from doing this one simple thing!!!
Added after delivery: - GMP CAI, GMP Black Strut Tower Brace, MRR017 1LE Wheels, SS Armrest, Black Fuel Door, Stainless Sport Pedals, SS Wheel Caps, Black Lugs/Locks, GM Splash Guards, DD Smoked LED Markers, Smoked Rear Reflectors, Mishimoto Catch Can, Xpel PPF - Full Front, SunTek 35% Tint, CeramicPro coating, RST Stainless Brake Lines, Castrol SRF, MSD Super Conductor Wires

Left: My "fun" ride. Right: My "work" ride: a Gulfstream G600. One's top speed is 180 Mph, the other, 620 Mph...
2SS Capt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2021, 10:48 AM   #19
KirkH

Drives: 2016 2SS M6 Mosaic Blk Met-SOLD
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rnovrit View Post
I detail the entire undercarriage as well as the paint, engine bay, interior, wheels and wheel wells.

My QuickJack gets here Thursday so I will be able to detail my undercarriage!
KirkH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2021, 05:14 PM   #20
10mm
Account Suspended

Drives: My wife nuts...
Everything but the wheel wells.
Guess its time I start.
10mm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2021, 07:50 PM   #21
Rnovrit

Drives: 2018 NFG ZL1-1LE
Thank you. Sometimes I get bored after the wife and kids go to bed. I grab a beer, turn on some 80’s rock or 80’s country, grab some detailing stuff and start wiping downs vehicles. I find it relaxing and calming.
Rnovrit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2021, 10:13 AM   #22
Plasar

Drives: 2017 ZL1 Vert M6
Unhappy

I would be a lot more diligent about washing/cleaning if I didn't live in a 1+ million person metropolis and had a limited time in a self wash bay with signs like "Don't you dare spend an extra minute cleaning your car in the wash bay".

To be fair, there are often people waiting for a bay, so this is fair.

I feel guilty but I have never done my wheels to any level of cleanliness - I just power wash them off. I would love to have "clean barrels"!

Pals Quick Car Wash
Attached Images

Plasar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2021, 11:19 AM   #23
2SS Capt
2020 Shadow Gray 2SS

Drives: 2020 2SS - A10, NPP, MRC, CAI
Quote:
Originally Posted by Plasar View Post
I would be a lot more diligent about washing/cleaning if I didn't live in a 1+ million person metropolis and had a limited time in a self wash bay with signs like "Don't you dare spend an extra minute cleaning your car in the wash bay".

I feel guilty but I have never done my wheels to any level of cleanliness - I just power wash them off. I would love to have "clean barrels"!

Pals Quick Car Wash
Do your wheels at home with a bucket, it isn't that hard to keep the barrels clean...
Added after delivery: - GMP CAI, GMP Black Strut Tower Brace, MRR017 1LE Wheels, SS Armrest, Black Fuel Door, Stainless Sport Pedals, SS Wheel Caps, Black Lugs/Locks, GM Splash Guards, DD Smoked LED Markers, Smoked Rear Reflectors, Mishimoto Catch Can, Xpel PPF - Full Front, SunTek 35% Tint, CeramicPro coating, RST Stainless Brake Lines, Castrol SRF, MSD Super Conductor Wires

Left: My "fun" ride. Right: My "work" ride: a Gulfstream G600. One's top speed is 180 Mph, the other, 620 Mph...
2SS Capt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2021, 05:10 PM   #24
KirkH

Drives: 2016 2SS M6 Mosaic Blk Met-SOLD
Quote:
Originally Posted by Plasar View Post

Pals Quick Car Wash

You live in an area where you should be able to find a good detailer, probably even a mobile detailer to come wash your car, if you can't bucket wash yorself at home. Car washes use recycled water and dirty brushes. It will ruin your paint.
KirkH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2021, 08:50 PM   #25
dpevans

Drives: 2024 Riverside Blue 2SS 1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by BluinSC View Post
I dont door jams with ceramic detailer. I haven't found a product yet to do the engine bay. 50100 miles 16 SS daily.
P21S with a detail brush then flush with water then dry with a leaf blower then I use a cheap plastic detail product and hit all the plastic.
dpevans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2021, 08:56 PM   #26
dpevans

Drives: 2024 Riverside Blue 2SS 1LE
5 years in and I still have people ask me how I like my new car. I hate cleaning it after a track day but it needs done. Door, hood, and trunk jams take an extra 5 minutes and I hit them every other wash.
dpevans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2022, 01:28 PM   #27
Mikey1925

Drives: 2022 1SS Rapid Blue, 6 speed manual
I’ve only had mine for week now, but as anal as I am I washed it 3 days after I got cause I couldn’t stand the subpar job the dealership did on it. I wiped the jams, wheels, and engine bay down, everything but the underbody. As for the underbody, meh, that’s what the underbody flush at the car wash is for. I don’t drive it in salt so no worries there. As I said I washed it 3 days after I got it and will wash and dry all of the above every 2 to 3 days. I guess you can call me a clean freak. The way I look at it it you take care of your car it will take care of you. My car will always look like it rolled off the showroom floor.
Mikey1925 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2022, 12:25 AM   #28
PhotoGuy

Drives: 2020 Camaro 2SS .. chevy silverado
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rnovrit View Post
I detail the entire undercarriage as well as the paint, engine bay, interior, wheels and wheel wells.
off topic ... what mufflers are those looks like you have the NPP valves hooked up .... Like the Black look
PhotoGuy is offline   Reply With Quote