Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > Technical Camaro Topics > Wheels | Tires -- Sponsored by The Tire Rack

BeckyD @ James Martin Chevy

Old 12-14-2016, 10:58 AM   #15
crankaholic

Drives: 2016 Camaro 2SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sledgehammer70 View Post
The MRR wheel is actually a lot softer in design over the OEM wheels. The two side by side shows GM's wheels are more angular and have more.. for lack of better words, masculinity to them. It looks as if the OEM wheel concave a bit more and the bends are at slightly sharper angles.

Sorry wheels a re a bit dirty in these pics, but here is a side by side set of shots I took this evening.

MRR Wheel:

GM Wheel:
Thanks for posting the pics. I can see what you're saying - although the photo angle and wheel finish probably highlight the differences even more. Looks like MRR got as close as they possibly could while staying within their flowforged process.
Old 12-14-2016, 11:07 AM   #16
BowtieRocket

Drives: 2016 Camaro 2SS- M6
Is there really a real world concern over the flow forged durability in say...potholes or rough roads or track? Just curious as I am planning on getting a set. I dont plan on hitting every pot hole or jump the car, although i have been airbourne with it once inadvertently
Old 12-14-2016, 02:30 PM   #17
crankaholic

Drives: 2016 Camaro 2SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by BowtieRocket View Post
Is there really a real world concern over the flow forged durability in say...potholes or rough roads or track? Just curious as I am planning on getting a set. I dont plan on hitting every pot hole or jump the car, although i have been airbourne with it once inadvertently
As long as you don't run 20 series tires I think there's nothing to worry about at legal speeds... most issues come from hitting a pothole at 150+ or prolonged cornering Gs at the track. Flowforged wheels have cast spokes, that's the weakest point, and how durable they are depends on the design (assuming the metallurgy is fine). I've seen snapped/bent spokes on all kinds of wheels, even cheaply made forged ones, but you never really know how they were being used
Old 12-14-2016, 02:57 PM   #18
BowtieRocket

Plan to do more road course tracking and my concern is if theyd hold up. Ive heard mrr doesnt suggest track use. I may end up saving for the GM ones...
Old 12-14-2016, 04:16 PM   #19
kropscamaro16

Drives: 2016 1ss camaro
Quote:
Plan to do more road course tracking and my concern is if theyd hold up. Ive heard mrr doesnt suggest track use. I may end up saving for the GM ones...
i would recommend to go with hre flowform or another light weight strong wheel for road racing! im going to start tracking mine next year!
Old 12-14-2016, 04:45 PM   #20
Mountain

Drives: 2017 SS 1LE, 2016 1SS (previous)
From what I've gathered, the front wheels between MRR and GM have slightly different offsets.

GM
F 20x10 +20mm
R 20x11 +43mm

MRR
F 20x10 +23mm
R 20x11 +43mm

http://www.camaro6.com/forums/showthread.php?t=474103 (I've seen this posted a few other places too)
Mountain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2016, 06:02 PM   #21
Doyal_Mcneff
Account Suspended

Drives: 2016 2ss
Quote:
Originally Posted by kropscamaro16 View Post
i would recommend to go with hre flowform or another light weight strong wheel for road racing! im going to start tracking mine next year!
Agreed...I wouldn't trust running MRR's on the track.
Doyal_Mcneff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2016, 07:07 AM   #22
travislambert

Drives: '17 ZL1
I'd get the OEM wheels. I think I probably had one of the first sets (Delivered August 11th), and I've been very happy with them. They hide the dust well, clean easy, and use the factory lug nuts. The MRR lug nuts look too small/inadequate in my opinion which to me takes away from the overall look of the wheel.

Also, there is no question that the OEM wheels will hold up better. Of course the OEM wheels cost more, but they are a bargain for forged wheels. I wouldn't let the weight savings of the MRR wheels influence the decision. The performance difference will be negligible and the increased strength of the OEM wheels should be well worth a couple extra pounds.

I have some pics on my journal here:
http://www.camaro6.com/forums/showth...=469102&page=4
travislambert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2016, 08:49 AM   #23
BowtieRocket

Quote:
Originally Posted by travislambert View Post
I'd get the OEM wheels. I think I probably had one of the first sets (Delivered August 11th), and I've been very happy with them. They hide the dust well, clean easy, and use the factory lug nuts. The MRR lug nuts look too small/inadequate in my opinion which to me takes away from the overall look of the wheel.

Also, there is no question that the OEM wheels will hold up better. Of course the OEM wheels cost more, but they are a bargain for forged wheels. I wouldn't let the weight savings of the MRR wheels influence the decision. The performance difference will be negligible and the increased strength of the OEM wheels should be well worth a couple extra pounds.

I have some pics on my journal here:
http://www.camaro6.com/forums/showth...=469102&page=4
I think you're right. Called the dealer and they cant seem to find them now though...i inquired a couple months ago and they gave me a price but now am thinking that they quoted me for the wrong wheel...
Old 12-15-2016, 09:26 AM   #24
travislambert

Drives: '17 ZL1
Quote:
I think you're right. Called the dealer and they cant seem to find them now though...i inquired a couple months ago and they gave me a price but now am thinking that they quoted me for the wrong wheel...
I got mine from Pace Performance. Those guys have always treated me right.

http://paceperformance.com/i-2384629...ear-wheel.html

http://paceperformance.com/i-2384629...ont-wheel.html
travislambert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2016, 10:11 AM   #25
Wildhammer

Drives: 2017 1SS
Hey guys, we just added the OEM wheel kit for these 1LE Rims if anyone is interested!

Here
Wildhammer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2016, 10:49 AM   #26
SixgenSix

Drives: 2020 SHOCK SS 1LE
I'd go with the OEM wheels. IMO the knock offs look exactly like what they are knock offs, cheap.
SixgenSix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2016, 11:03 AM   #27
BowtieRocket

Ok so got ahold of dealer pricing utilizing the part number....$934.81 per wheel! Obviously core charge rebate doesnt apply since SS wheels dont qualify.
Old 12-15-2016, 11:04 AM   #28
BowtieRocket

So looks like best pricing is with thatgmpartsguy...