Homepage Garage Wiki Register Members List Social Groups Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > CAMARO6.com General Forums > Z/28 Discussions


AWE Tuning


Post Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 05-21-2016, 06:44 PM   #1
mkorgan

 
Drives: 1970-1/2 Z-28, 2017 ZL1
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: Sanford, Fl
Posts: 973
Cost of new Camaro - Stop the whining please.

I don't care if they make $100K Camaro and why should any of you? We should all be rooting for Team Camaro to continue to push the performance envelope regardless of the top end cost. The technology of the Gen5 ZL1 made its way into the SS in Gen6 and the Gen5 Z/28 is the baseline of the Gen6 ZL1. The bottom line is the glass ceiling of the Camaro has been removed and now Team Camaro has been told to make the best line of Camaro's possible with the base still accessible in the $20's for those in that financial position all the way up to what I expect to be a low $80's top of the line, top performance Camaro. I go over to the Corvette site and NO ONE IS COMPLAINING about the cost of the Z06. They all want the Corvette brand to be pushed to its best. Some will not be able to afford the top end car but that is not stopping all of them rooting for the best Corvette possible. Why can't the Camaro community be the same? Why do we bitch and complain about the price just because we might not be able to afford it? We should all want Team Camaro to build the best possible Camaro as long as they keep a trim level that allows for younger buyers to still get into the car to start their own personal love affair. I am over people worrying about the cost of this car. If you can't afford it, don't bitch that they are making it. Be happy that the next Gen will most likely be better and cheaper because of the higher end product in the current Gen just like the Gen5 high end has made the lower end Gen6 a better Camaro.
mkorgan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2016, 06:58 PM   #2
BradfordCamaro
SABIO
 
BradfordCamaro's Avatar
 
Drives: 2016 CAMARO 1SS
Join Date: Jul 2015
Location: Bradford, ON
Posts: 4,632
Camaro was never or should ever be out of the reach of the average buyer.
It is iconic for a reason. Anyone who put it a hards days work could turn the key and have the V8 rumble on the way home.
Of course we want the best but there is a limit.
__________________
MRR FS01|C A I|PRAY PERFORMANCE|KOOKS|BTR CAM



BradfordCamaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2016, 07:12 PM   #3
Bhobbs


 
Bhobbs's Avatar
 
Drives: 2015 SS 1LE Red Hot, 1970 Chevelle
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Chino, CA
Posts: 6,501
The Camaro is already out of the reach of many people. $40k for an SS isn't a common mans car.
__________________
Bhobbs is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2016, 07:48 PM   #4
RLHMARINES
1st Civ. Div.
 
RLHMARINES's Avatar
 
Drives: Camaroless for now...RIP "Big SexZ"
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Savannah, Ga
Posts: 2,592
I'm all for a reasonably price entry Camaro model along with a "take no prisoners" halo model that I may not be able to afford at the top of the pecking order.

We need model variations to give more people a reason to want and buy a Camaro because it needs to be a world beater in every sense of the word to stay viable in the global market.

A Camaro for every man or woman regardless of your social economic status to afford but also a halo model that drives passionate dreams for ownership or just to lust after.
__________________
Swift....Silent....Deadly
RLHMARINES is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2016, 08:02 PM   #5
mkorgan

 
Drives: 1970-1/2 Z-28, 2017 ZL1
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: Sanford, Fl
Posts: 973
Quote:
Originally Posted by RLHMARINES View Post
I'm all for a reasonably price entry Camaro model along with a "take no prisoners" halo model that I may not be able to afford at the top of the pecking order.

We need model variations to give more people a reason to want and buy a Camaro because it needs to be a world beater in every sense of the word to stay viable in the global market.

A Camaro for every man or woman regardless of your social economic status to afford but also a halo model that drives passionate dreams for ownership or just to lust after.
agreed
mkorgan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2016, 08:05 PM   #6
mkorgan

 
Drives: 1970-1/2 Z-28, 2017 ZL1
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: Sanford, Fl
Posts: 973
Quote:
Originally Posted by BradfordCamaro View Post
Camaro was never or should ever be out of the reach of the average buyer.
It is iconic for a reason. Anyone who put it a hards days work could turn the key and have the V8 rumble on the way home.
Of course we want the best but there is a limit.
well the v8 may not be accessible for all but you can get a Camaro in the $20's still so I would say that GM has not left that segment of the market behind while they expand the top side of the market as well.
mkorgan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2016, 08:23 PM   #7
Posaune
 
Drives: Four wheels and an engine
Join Date: Sep 2014
Location: Garage
Posts: 363
Quote:
Originally Posted by mkorgan View Post
well the v8 may not be accessible for all but you can get a Camaro in the $20's still so I would say that GM has not left that segment of the market behind while they expand the top side of the market as well.
Still to early to tell how the new 2.0 and higher priced V6 actually sell.

Personally, I think they are pushing north a little too much and too fast. Then add in the price increase for MY17....
Posaune is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2016, 08:24 PM   #8
Posaune
 
Drives: Four wheels and an engine
Join Date: Sep 2014
Location: Garage
Posts: 363
Let me add that I don't have a problem with the uber Camaros pushing north and hunting cars that start much higher.
Posaune is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2016, 08:27 PM   #9
OldJedi
Use the Force
 
OldJedi's Avatar
 
Drives: 1967 Corvette, 2012 ZL1, 2015 Z51
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Davie, Fl.
Posts: 3,858
Send a message via AIM to OldJedi
I think that the Camaro Team has done a wonderful job making a Camaro to fit so many segments for so many people. The new turbo four as an entry level model and to fit the large segment of people that love playing with turbo fours. The V6 being the bread and butter for so many people. The SS being the Mustang beater we all love. The next crop of Camaros will be for our track rats and dominators of foreign competition. Each level at a dollar amount that most of us can afford at some price point. All of them working off of the same chassis with just changes to engines and suspension although that is over simplified. No one else has this many models to cover this wide a span with a chassis that is truly world class. Team Camaro has done a hell of a job.
__________________
Walk softly, carry a light saber and drive a ZL1!
OldJedi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2016, 08:30 PM   #10
Tr6
The Dogfather
 
Drives: #1 off the line for a customer. '16
Join Date: Oct 2015
Location: Andover, KS
Posts: 2,629
Even if the price is cheaper, people will always find something to bitch and moan about. Is the price high? Umm no? Considering the performance, bells and whistles you get. Good luck getting that with any other car that is less than 60k. M3/4, Lexus F models, Jags, C7s, etc, the list goes on and we aren't talking about a comparison between old and used cars. 2016 makes and models+ only. Not to mention the ridiculously cheap aftermarket component of it (compared to imports) too. Missing the entire premise of the 6th gen. Camaro vs EVERYBODY. Just wait till the numbers of the ZL1 and Z/28 are out... Our SS is even good performance, those 2 will be BEASTS and hunting for blood of EVERYBODY and cheaper than EVERYBODY for the performance it will have.

Not to mention that a CAMARO is still VERY affordable. 2.0T model... V6. Want more power? Pay to play. Can't afford it at the moment? No problem. Be patient and wait till there are gen6 SS's that have been used for a year or two then get em for mid to high 30s (2SS that is, 1SS probably around low 30s in a couple years). I hate to compare the gen6 ss to the S550 GTs but even if I build that (was curious), I end up looking at 45k for it and if you look at the gt350's it's 55k (and that's just MSRP, GOOD LUCK finding them with less than 10k above MSRP), and my build of the SS was 46.5k which has more bells and whistles, better driving characteristics and much much more comfortable on the open road too. So... Not really following the "expensive" part.
__________________
2SS, Garnet Red with Adrenalin red, NPP, MRC M6 coupe
#33 off the line #1 order for Customer.
Build thread HERE!
Story of my delivery HERE!
Tr6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2016, 09:13 PM   #11
90503


 
90503's Avatar
 
Drives: 2011 2SS/RS LS3
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Torrance
Posts: 12,966
Once the sticker shock passes for the 1LE and ZL-1, the Z/28 price will still be the priciest and no real surprise....Nothing wrong with shopping for the best bargain you can find, but
I agree that complaining about a price at this point is, well, pointless...lol...

Cars are for sure more expensive these days, but they last longer and are better built. Camaro probably has the best hi to low price range and choices. Instead of complaining, kudos to Chevy for making a Camaro that has such a variety of models and prices.
90503 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2016, 09:15 PM   #12
Posaune
 
Drives: Four wheels and an engine
Join Date: Sep 2014
Location: Garage
Posts: 363
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tr6 View Post
Even if the price is cheaper, people will always find something to bitch and moan about. Is the price high? Umm no? Considering the performance, bells and whistles you get. Good luck getting that with any other car that is less than 60k. M3/4, Lexus F models, Jags, C7s, etc, the list goes on and we aren't talking about a comparison between old and used cars. 2016 makes and models+ only. Not to mention the ridiculously cheap aftermarket component of it (compared to imports) too. Missing the entire premise of the 6th gen. Camaro vs EVERYBODY. Just wait till the numbers of the ZL1 and Z/28 are out... Our SS is even good performance, those 2 will be BEASTS and hunting for blood of EVERYBODY and cheaper than EVERYBODY for the performance it will have.

Not to mention that a CAMARO is still VERY affordable. 2.0T model... V6. Want more power? Pay to play. Can't afford it at the moment? No problem. Be patient and wait till there are gen6 SS's that have been used for a year or two then get em for mid to high 30s (2SS that is, 1SS probably around low 30s in a couple years). I hate to compare the gen6 ss to the S550 GTs but even if I build that (was curious), I end up looking at 45k for it and if you look at the gt350's it's 55k (and that's just MSRP, GOOD LUCK finding them with less than 10k above MSRP), and my build of the SS was 46.5k which has more bells and whistles, better driving characteristics and much much more comfortable on the open road too. So... Not really following the "expensive" part.
When your V8 starts at $37,295 and your direct competitors start at $31,995 (Challenger R/T) and $32,395, you are putting yourself at a disadvantage. Not everyone buying SS Camaros, Mustang GTs and Challenger R/Ts are looking for the best performing or are a brand loyal enthusiast. Many are looking for an affordable V8 sport coupe that looks good. It doesn't matter that the Camaro SS will run circles around both of them.

I believe team Camaro should be looking to out perform both as well as many other cars that cost much more but the laser focus on standard performance (and the cost that came with it) will hurt Camaro in the long run.
Posaune is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2016, 11:02 PM   #13
Tr6
The Dogfather
 
Drives: #1 off the line for a customer. '16
Join Date: Oct 2015
Location: Andover, KS
Posts: 2,629
Quote:
Originally Posted by Posaune View Post
When your V8 starts at $37,295 and your direct competitors start at $31,995 (Challenger R/T) and $32,395, you are putting yourself at a disadvantage. Not everyone buying SS Camaros, Mustang GTs and Challenger R/Ts are looking for the best performing or are a brand loyal enthusiast. Many are looking for an affordable V8 sport coupe that looks good. It doesn't matter that the Camaro SS will run circles around both of them.

I believe team Camaro should be looking to out perform both as well as many other cars that cost much more but the laser focus on standard performance (and the cost that came with it) will hurt Camaro in the long run.
I can see and understand that, Camaro SS running circles around them both is the exact point. You pay what you get. Pay less, get less. Camaro sales are only increasing and will keep increasing due to the quality and the bang for the buck you get. SS sales have already started beating the mustang and challanger sales, not the overall sales #'s but it hasn't even been a year for the gen6.

Camaro Team isn't after the challenger (minus hellcat) nor the mustangs (minus gt350/r), the SS beats them in every single category and the upcoming models of the gen6 camaro will be beating the hellcats and gt350/r's in every single category. Till the next gen challenger/mustangs come out as I assume crysler and ford would want to beat Chevy which = customer wins. If they made a better car than the camaro currently, I would've gone with that but they haven't.
__________________
2SS, Garnet Red with Adrenalin red, NPP, MRC M6 coupe
#33 off the line #1 order for Customer.
Build thread HERE!
Story of my delivery HERE!
Tr6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2016, 12:17 AM   #14
SpookShow'84
Bump in the night
 
SpookShow'84's Avatar
 
Drives: '84 Monte Carlo SS, '15 Optima
Join Date: Oct 2015
Location: U.S.A.
Posts: 744
Hell, why not make it $200k? This type pricing model has already proven itself to be effective in America's increasingly 1% economy and it has done so in several sectors. The rich are richer than ever and the only thing that matters to that crowd is who will shell out more $ to look richer and more exclusive than some other poor 1%er soab that only makes a million or two a year.

Sarcasm aside, how much more in cost will it take to build a halo camaro vs. a 2ss? Probably 5-10k in actual cost per unit to GM. Fact of the matter is the camaro isn't here to do anything other than take our money, plain and simple. At some point any inanimate object is only worth what it takes to build and a little extra to cover the cost of business. Pricing something that high without giving any merit to the cost to replicate that performance level on another platform is ridiculous.
__________________
SpookShow'84 is offline   Reply With Quote
 
Post Reply

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 01:09 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.9 Beta 4
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.