Homepage Garage Wiki Register Social Groups Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > CAMARO6.com General Forums > ZL1 Discussions

BeckyD @ James Martin Chevy

Old 12-09-2016, 08:52 PM   #43
Nor Cal ZL1

Drives: 2013 ZL1 M6
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigchiefs1 View Post
I have a friend that has a 2013 1LE and he put the supercharger on it and he puts it on the track. Not sure about the 17's. but the 13's had all zl1 parts in it already so if you no worried about the name go for it. And to the track he has came across 3 or 4 zl1's and it wasn't even close . Even the pro's there said the 1LE was better car. Now I've always said the 13 zl1 was a joke. Overpriced for what it is. The 1LE back then had zl1 fuel pump and trany. Now the 17 zl1 that's a beast in my eyes. Have one on order. Gm did a great job this time around.
Back then the 1LE had, the front rims off the ZL1, wheel bearings, steering wheel and rear suspension parts, and the fuel pump. They shared nothing else . The transmission and gearing was specific to the 1 LE alone. It did have a similar transmission fluid cooler.

The Zl1 drivetrain to include the transmission, driveshaft, rear end, axles, all of which were seriously over built, made it the best plaform to build from. The other differences were larger brakes, underbody aero, outer body aero, Ptm modes, magnetic ride ect. The 1LE which is a great car contained very few of the parts the ZL1 came with.

If you needed to compare parts between the SS and the ZL1 it is a 90/ 10 comparison.

So when you say it had all of the ZL1 parts on it, no it did not even come close.
Nor Cal ZL1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2016, 10:46 AM   #44
Thor142

Drives: 2014 2LS (traded in) 2015 1SS 1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by TJay74 View Post
Lets be honest, 80% of the 1LE's sold will never hit the track, much less the ones that do will never be pushed that hard at the track as the owners are not going to want to take a chance on wadding up a $45k car at a track event that that their insurance company wont cover if they do.

And I am probably way high on the added weight as I don't think a Whipple or a Magnuson S/C even with a intercooler would even add 100lbs to the front end after you factor out the stock intake and/or if you swap the factory manifolds for headers.

So for me the 1LE will still check all the boxes I want in a performance pleasure car and come in $15k to $20k less than a Corvette or ZL1. I am drawn to the package because of the big brakes, more aggressive front fascia, the wheels and the Recaro seats. Plus I think the 1LE just looks a lot more aggressive as a whole over the SS.
OK, but I was just responding to you thinking it's funny when people think adding a supercharger will mess up the dynamics of a 1LE. Sure if it's a street car and you just want to brag about horse power and look cool I agree. But there are those of us to take our cars to the track and push them pretty hard, and for those people I think adding a supercharger definitely changes the cars dynamics. Not only balance but dealing with heat becomes a major issue.