Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > CAMARO6.com General Forums > 2016+ Camaro: 6th Gen Camaro general forum

Bigwormgraphix

Old 06-30-2019, 04:59 PM   #1
ssmike
BL1ZZRD

Drives: '16 Camaro 2SS, '20 Equinox Redline
Epic Road Trip! My 2SS Was Amazing!

With all the negativity floating around about this that and the other thing with regards to the Camaro, I’m here to say it’s all BS! My ‘16 2SS is the perfect all around road trip car! It served me well as a grand tourer, show car, and canyon carver, on our vacation over the past 2 weeks!

We started out traveling from Buffalo, NY to Frederick MD to participate in the 3 day Camaro Nationals show. No issues at all on the road and I took first place in class in the show! From there we drove down the Appalachian Mountains to Fontana Village, NC where we slayed the Tail of The Dragon several times, as well as many of the epic roads that in the area! I had a blast and again my Camaro was on point! Very capable canyon carver!

We ended our trip by returning home via the Blue Ridge Parkway and interstates the rest of the way. Again, no issues no drama! I love this car! It’s the best all around multi-purpose sports coupe that I know of! We (my wife and I) even fit all our stuff for 10 days away from home including all my cleaning supplies and souvenirs.

So, no issues with storage, no issues with visibility (I know how to adjust my mirrors), no issues with performance, nothing broke, and it was a smooth and enjoyable ride! Great looks enough to win first at the show, great handling at the Dragon, and great touring car! All the complaints and negative comments that abound about this car IMO are just, I don’t know, not totally true, at least in my experience!

For the sake of full disclosure I have done some cosmetic mods which helped win first place, replaced the tires with non run flats which help quiet the ride, and had ceramic coating done which helps cleaning. In conclusion this 6th gen Camaro in 2SS trim is the perfect platform to mod cosmetically and for performance. It’s a great all around vehicle with plenty of storage, visibility, and performance! I’m very happy I bought it last year and it’ll be a keeper for some time! Well done GM! No complaints here!!
Attached Images

ssmike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2019, 05:02 PM   #2
benji276289

Drives: 2021 Camaro 2SS1LE, 6 spd.man., Ora
Send a message via Skype™ to benji276289
I think you passed me by on I-81. Beautiful set of wheels.
benji276289 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2019, 05:09 PM   #3
AZCamaroFan
Camaro6 2016-2018

Drives: sometimes
that is an awesome Camaro6 , and nice pictures too
Old 06-30-2019, 05:37 PM   #4
SSE14

Drives: 2014 Spring Special Edition SS Vert
Congrats on having a great road trip and taking 1st at the show. I’ve done the Dragon myself. Awesome roads there. Glad you had a great time.
Old 06-30-2019, 09:09 PM   #5
skywrench

Drives: 2016 Camaro SS
Looks and sounds like an awesome trip
skywrench is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2019, 10:48 PM   #6
protovack

Drives: 2019 2LT 2.0T M6 Riverside Blue
Now that's what I like to see...getting out there and enjoying that fine machine!

I just did 550 miles this weekend in my 2.0T, and she never even blinked when passing at 90-100mph. I did not have a single issue other than some slow cars that needed to be passed! I came home with 32mpg on the clock for the entire trip, and I was having fun. My only complaint is its hard to find a place for your phone. I end up putting mine on bluetooth, from the glovebox, with android auto if I need maps. With that arrangement there is no problem whatsoever. I actually enjoy putting my phone away in the glove box because its completely out of the way and not distracting.

One particularly surprising thing about this car is the seats are really comfortable for long distances. I did 550 miles in two days, got home, got out, stretched, and....no back pain. No leg pain. In fact, no pain at all. Sometimes you think "maybe this car needs lumbar support" but then, if it did, why can you go so many miles with absolutely no trouble?

I will go ahead and say that there ARE legitimate complaints, and I'm sure you wouldn't be here posting a glowing report if you were having a shuddering A8 transmission the whole time. I have the M6 and it's smooth as butter, so I don't have to worry about that issue, thankfully.

But, all cars have issues. The 6th gen included, and taken as a whole, this is an amazing car that has been ultra-reliable for most people. Thank you, for the trip report, it looks like you had a blast, and that's what this car is all about. It's so empowering to be out on the road for days at a time in a machine that is so well-engineered it actually makes you feel safer on the road, as you are careening around doing crazy shit, which to other drivers probably looks insane. But from the drivers seat of a 6th gen it just feels...normal, and well within the safe bounds of the cars capability. I KNOW for a fact people judge me for doing quick passes at 100mph, but I always, always do it safely, never across a double line, and ONLY if I can see ALL the way down a straight section of road. I've never even come close to having a bad situation. And I have my car to thank for that. It's one amazing machine, and I think that there are a ton of people out there who if they just took a road trip in one, their entire opinion of the car would change.

Last edited by protovack; 06-30-2019 at 11:32 PM.
protovack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2019, 06:18 AM   #7
ssmike
BL1ZZRD

Quote:
Originally Posted by protovack View Post
Now that's what I like to see...getting out there and enjoying that fine machine!

I just did 550 miles this weekend in my 2.0T, and she never even blinked when passing at 90-100mph. I did not have a single issue other than some slow cars that needed to be passed! I came home with 32mpg on the clock for the entire trip, and I was having fun. My only complaint is its hard to find a place for your phone. I end up putting mine on bluetooth, from the glovebox, with android auto if I need maps. With that arrangement there is no problem whatsoever. I actually enjoy putting my phone away in the glove box because its completely out of the way and not distracting.

One particularly surprising thing about this car is the seats are really comfortable for long distances. I did 550 miles in two days, got home, got out, stretched, and....no back pain. No leg pain. In fact, no pain at all. Sometimes you think "maybe this car needs lumbar support" but then, if it did, why can you go so many miles with absolutely no trouble?

I will go ahead and say that there ARE legitimate complaints, and I'm sure you wouldn't be here posting a glowing report if you were having a shuddering A8 transmission the whole time. I have the M6 and it's smooth as butter, so I don't have to worry about that issue, thankfully.

But, all cars have issues. The 6th gen included, and taken as a whole, this is an amazing car that has been ultra-reliable for most people. Thank you, for the trip report, it looks like you had a blast, and that's what this car is all about. It's so empowering to be out on the road for days at a time in a machine that is so well-engineered it actually makes you feel safer on the road, as you are careening around doing crazy shit, which to other drivers probably looks insane. But from the drivers seat of a 6th gen it just feels...normal, and well within the safe bounds of the cars capability. I KNOW for a fact people judge me for doing quick passes at 100mph, but I always, always do it safely, never across a double line, and ONLY if I can see ALL the way down a straight section of road. I've never even come close to having a bad situation. And I have my car to thank for that. It's one amazing machine, and I think that there are a ton of people out there who if they just took a road trip in one, their entire opinion of the car would change.
Yes there are legit complaints like the A6 for sure and some people that got a lemon but overall it this car does not deserve all the negativity. I think these forums tend to cater to those that do have problems when in reality the vast majority of Camaro owners are having good experiences! I too thought about the lumbar support and I agree with you that the seats are very comfy!
Old 07-01-2019, 06:47 AM   #8
Silverado57

Drives: 2017 Camaro SS
Great reports!
In May we took the Camaro down south through VA, TN & NC. It was great as a long-distance road tripper. We tamed The Snake (US 421), BRP and a number of other great roads. We were topless a few times on scenic back roads.
You have to learn to pack smart for 2 people with the convertible. But after w-a-y over 100,000 miles of doing 2-up motorcycle trips, packing the Camaro is a joy!

This week we're heading south again to hit the BRP again, Snake, Rattler, Cherohala, Dragon and who knows what else on our way to Camarofest. We hope to meet some of you there.
Old 07-01-2019, 06:53 AM   #9
mmadden2

Drives: '12 LaCrosse, '14 Encore, '17 2SS
Nice looking car, what tires are you running?
Old 07-01-2019, 07:09 AM   #10
ssmike
BL1ZZRD

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silverado57 View Post
Great reports!
In May we took the Camaro down south through VA, TN & NC. It was great as a long-distance road tripper. We tamed The Snake (US 421), BRP and a number of other great roads. We were topless a few times on scenic back roads.
You have to learn to pack smart for 2 people with the convertible. But after w-a-y over 100,000 miles of doing 2-up motorcycle trips, packing the Camaro is a joy!

This week we're heading south again to hit the BRP again, Snake, Rattler, Cherohala, Dragon and who knows what else on our way to Camarofest. We hope to meet some of you there.
Enjoy your trip! Be careful, 3 people were killed last week, all motorcycles.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mmadden2 View Post
Nice looking car, what tires are you running?
Firestone Firehawk Indy 500's in stock sizes. Great tires for the price and held up well in all conditions!
Old 07-01-2019, 03:02 PM   #11
rburke76

Drives: garnet red
4 cylinder turbo guy here...

awesome trip man! Awesome pictures! glad you and your camaro had a great time!
rburke76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2019, 07:58 AM   #12
ssmike
BL1ZZRD

A few more pics to add. Back to work and I can't help but daydream about the fun I had in this car with my wife in the beautiful Smokey Mountains!
Attached Images

Old 07-02-2019, 08:25 AM   #13
Lafourche1

Drives: 2019 CLA 450 Mercedes
Great trip. Did you walk down town Frederick? The murals along the river are really cool. The shops are pet friendly, too. The home of Francis Scott Keyes. I have some very good friends who live there and I visit there a good bit. Did you happen to drive up over South Mountain and see the church up there? There is also a Washington Monument on the Appalachian Trail that is pretty cool, too.

Love that area of NC / Georgia / SC / Tennessee. Great driving roads. I am partial to Moonshiner 28 out of Deals Gap and on up to Highlands, NC.
Lafourche1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2019, 08:43 AM   #14
ssmike
BL1ZZRD

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lafourche1 View Post
Great trip. Did you walk down town Frederick? The murals along the river are really cool. The shops are pet friendly, too. The home of Francis Scott Keyes. I have some very good friends who live there and I visit there a good bit. Did you happen to drive up over South Mountain and see the church up there? There is also a Washington Monument on the Appalachian Trail that is pretty cool, too.

Love that area of NC / Georgia / SC / Tennessee. Great driving roads. I am partial to Moonshiner 28 out of Deals Gap and on up to Highlands, NC.
We didn't do much sightseeing in Frederick. The car show and Hotel parking lot parties took up all our time! We stayed in Fontana Village so Moonshiner 28 was a daily drive, at least some parts. We did the Dragon, Cherahola Skyway, Moonshiner 28, and the Blue Ridge Parkway. Next time down we'll do Hellbender and some of the other parkways. It's a motorcycle and sports car enthusiasts dream down there! Can't wait to return!!