Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > CAMARO6.com General Forums > 2016+ Camaro: 6th Gen Camaro general forum

Phastek Performance

Old 10-16-2019, 10:57 PM   #1
RoninSS

Drives: 2019 SS1LE Garnet Red../Silver CL30
Why does track mode feel slower?

Why does Track mode feel slower than sport mode?
Is the traction control more aggressive? or the throttle mapping different in track mode?
I have a SS 1LE and was playing around with the different track modes and all of them feel somewhat neutered compared to the normal sport mode.
RoninSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2019, 11:25 PM   #2
LARRY01Z28

Drives: 2001Camaro Z28
I like sport mode the best as well. I don't know what mode your supposed to use for drag racing. but sport seems faster.
LARRY01Z28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2019, 12:04 AM   #3
Need4Camaro

Drives: '17 Camaro 2SS & '99 Camaro Z28
Quote:
Originally Posted by RoninSS View Post
Is the traction control more aggressive? or the throttle mapping different in track mode?
I have a SS 1LE and was playing around with the different track modes and all of them feel somewhat neutered compared to the normal sport mode.
Throttle Mapping is different in track and reserves the bulk of the power for WoT rather than spirited launches like Sports Mode. This is because on a track, while carving corners, you want as much control over the throttle as possible as if you outright brutely accelerated during a curve you could find yourself going sideways, or into a ditch. This allows you to safely maintain throttle as to lose as least amount of time as possible while still maintaining controlable throttle through a curve

Sports Mode basically puts you in the bulk of your powerband with much less throttle applied, but don't be fooled into thinking that its more powerful than Track Mode, it just means when you use 1/4th throttle in Sports mode, you're really using about half of the car's available power.
Need4Camaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2019, 12:24 AM   #4
c4racer

Drives: 2016 SS Convertible
I have only tried track mode a few times.

So are you saying it’s more linear throttle mapping vs sport ?

What about tq management ? Less aggressive ? More ? Same ?
c4racer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2019, 03:57 AM   #5
MakCamaro
Makis

Drives: 2020 Red Hot ZL1 A10
I use Sport mode as well when I do spirited driving. It does feel indeed better than Track mode, as it is definitely more responsive. From the information that I gathered from other threads, it seems that Track mode is reserved for the track or when engaging yourself in spirited driving on curvy roads. That's my understanding.
MakCamaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2019, 04:11 AM   #6
Gunkk
Thank you Al Oppenheiser!

Drives: Red Hot A10 ZL1 Convertible
Quote:
Originally Posted by c4racer View Post
I have only tried track mode a few times.

So are you saying it’s more linear throttle mapping vs sport ?

What about tq management ? Less aggressive ? More ? Same ?
Track mode has a more linear throttle map: 1/4 pedal = 1/4 throttle. Sport mode is more aggressive: 1/4 pedal = 1/3 throttle, etc.. #s for illustrative purposes.

Sport mode lets the rear wheels spin and break loose a little to give you a little more tail wag on the street. Track mode will be more aggressive at keeping your rear wheels from spinning, which keeps you safer at the limit and can make you faster. Breaking traction on a race track = bad juju.
Gunkk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2019, 06:58 AM   #7
Dysan911

Drives: 2017 50th Anniversary 2SS
I have one of those Proclip Iphone mounts and find that when I rest my arm across the center console to do something with the phone I accidentally change the mode from Sport to Track. WOW what a difference that makes when you don't expect it. How quickly we can become familar with the way Sport feels and then to try and drive it in Track feels so strange.

I'm willing to bet if we drove around a week using Track we'd get used to it and adjust no problem but then I suppose Sport would feel like a huge power increase lol.
Former Ride: 17 Camaro 2SS, M6 - Fifty | Procharger P1SC | 3.7 Pulley | Stage 2 IC | Race Bypass | DSX FF Kit | JRE Custom E85 Flex Fuel Tune | LT4 Fuel System | JMS Voltage Booster | MSD Plug Wires | American Racing 1-7/8's LT Headers Full System Catback | Baro Breakout Harness | LT4 Map Sensor | Katech Ported TB | MMS Oil Catch Can | 160 Thermo | Solo Performance J-Pipes

Dysan911 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2019, 10:42 AM   #8
TRZ06

Drives: 22' Porsche PDK GT4
Quote:
Originally Posted by Need4Camaro View Post
Throttle Mapping is different in track and reserves the bulk of the power for WoT rather than spirited launches like Sports Mode. This is because on a track, while carving corners, you want as much control over the throttle as possible as if you outright brutely accelerated during a curve you could find yourself going sideways, or into a ditch. This allows you to safely maintain throttle as to lose as least amount of time as possible while still maintaining controlable throttle through a curve

Sports Mode basically puts you in the bulk of your powerband with much less throttle applied, but don't be fooled into thinking that its more powerful than Track Mode, it just means when you use 1/4th throttle in Sports mode, you're really using about half of the car's available power.
THIS!!!

The kicker is though, is in order to access the more aggressive E-Diff settings that help you around a track and tight corners better, you need to be in one of the PTM modes, which just happen to only be avail. in Track Mode settings, SO...

While I like Sport throttle mapping better for daily driving, anytime I do any kind of on/off ramps, canyon carving or back road twisty driving, I use Track Mode and PTM - Sport 1 mode.

There are 4 E-diff. calibrations based on the mode/sub modes you are in.

Previous:
18' NFG 2SS 1LE (ZL1 1LE solid rear cradle bushings & Corsa Exhaust)
16' F80 M3 (Ohlin R/T Coilovers)
13' Audi TTRS (APR Stage 1, MSS Springs)
09' C6 Z06
08' E90 M3
06' 335i (KW V2 Coilovers)
03' C5 Z06
TRZ06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2019, 10:55 AM   #9
TJay74

Drives: 17 Camaro SS 1LE & 16 Sierra AT CC
Quote:
Originally Posted by TRZ06 View Post
THIS!!!

The kicker is though, is in order to access the more aggressive E-Diff settings that help you around a track and tight corners better, you need to be in one of the PTM modes, which just happen to only be avail. in Track Mode settings, SO...

While I like Sport throttle mapping better for daily driving, anytime I do any kind of on/off ramps, canyon carving or back road twisty driving, I use Track Mode and PTM - Sport 1 mode.

There are 4 E-diff. calibrations based on the mode/sub modes you are in.

You can be in Track or Sport mode and access the PTM settings, it works in either modes.

2017 Camaro SS 1LE - Procharger D1SC w/ Tial 2" BOV & Race intercooler / ARH full length catless headers / Alky meth injection system - 650rwhp on conservative tune SOLD
TJay74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2019, 10:58 AM   #10
MakCamaro
Makis

Drives: 2020 Red Hot ZL1 A10
Or use the Competitive mode for those of us who do not have an 1LE. I use the Competitive mode very often when I'm on Sport or Track mode.
MakCamaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2019, 11:18 AM   #11
DaveC113

Drives: 2018 Camaro 1SS 1LE
Track is way better for throttle modulation, but for me the throttle mapping is so different vs other modes I find it difficult to switch back and forth. So I always use track mode now, and manually adjust the steering and suspension settings. This kinda sucks because the car won't stay in track mode so I have to hit the mode button every time I start the engine.

Once you get used to track mode tour and sport seem weird and far too aggressive with the throttle. But they are nice because you don't have to move your foot that much.
Old 10-17-2019, 12:01 PM   #12
Mighty Mouce
Banned

Drives: Camaro
Quote:
Originally Posted by RoninSS View Post
Yeh feels like the low end torque has been moved higher up or something.
Mighty Mouce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2019, 12:04 PM   #13
Mighty Mouce
Banned

Drives: Camaro
Quote:
Originally Posted by Need4Camaro View Post

Hmmph...yeh...I guess that makes sense.
Mighty Mouce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2019, 12:12 PM   #14
DaveC113

Drives: 2018 Camaro 1SS 1LE
Car companies use throttle mapping to make the cars feel more powerful then they are... you're on a test drive and think "wow, the car really moves when I barely open the throttle!" Then after you own it... "Damn, the car is already at full throttle when the pedal is halfway down, and flooring it does nothing."