Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > CAMARO6.com General Forums > 2016+ Camaro: 6th Gen Camaro general forum

BeckyD @ James Martin Chevy

Old 10-16-2019, 04:32 PM   #15
c4racer

Drives: 2016 SS Convertible
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mighty Mouce View Post
Yeh...I read it....

Second Place: Porsche 911 Carrera S

The winningest model in Best Driver's Car history maintains its standing as the better sports car, but just barely. As a complete package, it's found wanting.

First Place: Chevrolet Corvette Z51

No excuses, no compromises. The long-awaited mid-engine Corvette isn't perfect, but it's damn sure close enough.
yes - that was the end of the article - because they were factoring in price and mid-engine exotic coolness factor. But if you look at every driving metric they gave it to the 911. What they are saying is basically that it's not worth 50% more for something only slightly better.
Which I pretty much agree with myself. But It wasn't that the Corvette was the better car and also happened to be cheaper. So I will say again - if you take away price as a factor, the 911 won this battle hands down.

Would I personally pay $100K for the 911? No way. Would I pay $60K for a C8? Maybe. Certainly more likely anyway.
So I get the jest of the article - the Corvette takes first place because it's hard to justify slightly better sports car for so much more $.
But which is the better car - no doubt in my mind - it's the 911.
c4racer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2019, 06:10 PM   #16
Artryan

Drives: 2018 ZL1 , 2020 GMC AT4 Carbon Pro
Usually magazines jerk off to all European sports cars when they are first released. Years later, when they speak of the same cars, they start talking about all the flaws it has or had.

I love Porsche, but when it comes to my money for the price of the car and the costs of ownership, I'm sticking with domestics. The gap between europeans sports cars and American sports cars has closed tremendously in the last 10 years.
Artryan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2019, 07:14 PM   #17
Number 3
Hail to the King baby!

Drives: '19 XT4 2.0T & '22 VW Atlas 2.0T
Just to be clear, when Mrs. Number 3 was Corvette Marketing Manager, clinics and surveys of Porsche owners was consistently, “I wouldn’t drive a Corvette if the car was free and you paid me to drive it”.
Old 10-16-2019, 07:31 PM   #18
c4racer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Artryan View Post
Usually magazines jerk off to all European sports cars when they are first released. Years later, when they speak of the same cars, they start talking about all the flaws it has or had.

I love Porsche, but when it comes to my money for the price of the car and the costs of ownership, I'm sticking with domestics. The gap between europeans sports cars and American sports cars has closed tremendously in the last 10 years.
This is why many of us, myself included are driving a 6th gen Camaro instead of the European sports cars and sports coupes we used to drive !
Old 10-16-2019, 07:41 PM   #19
Petrol Head
Account Suspended

Drives: Fast if no one's looking
Quote:
Originally Posted by Number 3 View Post
Just to be clear, when Mrs. Number 3 was Corvette Marketing Manager, clinics and surveys of Porsche owners was consistently, “I wouldn’t drive a Corvette if the car was free and you paid me to drive it”.
I would admit there was a significant period of time from probably around 1972-1988 when Corvettes were, uh, less than world class shall we say. When I say I come from a Corvette family my Uncle has a ‘66 convertible with a base 327/300 hp 4 speed and a 2013 427 convertible. My cousin has a 2005 base 6 speed. My Mom has 2016 2LT trim and Z51 package. We are all in consensus that the Vette did kinda suck for a while, especially through the Malaise era..... The Porsche 911 never went through a Malaise era. Having said that, you can bet Porsche owners were basing their opinions on that survey on outdated and long since improved upon generations of Vettes.

Anyone who’s ever bashed a Corvette from the last 20 years - especially the last 5 of the 7th gen - just never drove one.
Petrol Head is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2019, 08:30 PM   #20
Number 3
Hail to the King baby!

Drives: '19 XT4 2.0T & '22 VW Atlas 2.0T
Quote:
Originally Posted by Petrol Head View Post
I would admit there was a significant period of time from probably around 1972-1988 when Corvettes were, uh, less than world class shall we say. When I say I come from a Corvette family my Uncle has a ‘66 convertible with a base 327/300 hp 4 speed and a 2013 427 convertible. My cousin has a 2005 base 6 speed. My Mom has 2016 2LT trim and Z51 package. We are all in consensus that the Vette did kinda suck for a while, especially through the Malaise era..... The Porsche 911 never went through a Malaise era. Having said that, you can bet Porsche owners were basing their opinions on that survey on outdated and long since improved upon generations of Vettes.

Anyone who’s ever bashed a Corvette from the last 20 years - especially the last 5 of the 7th gen - just never drove one.
Not to date my wife but this was much more recent.

My hope is the revolutionary C8 is a big enough change to shake things up.
Old 10-16-2019, 08:41 PM   #21
Petrol Head
Account Suspended

Quote:
Originally Posted by Number 3 View Post
Not to date my wife but this was much more recent.

My hope is the revolutionary C8 is a big enough change to shake things up.
I'm sure it will. It's going to drag the traditionalists and Corvette "purists" kicking and screaming into the future but I guess GM needed to do that to appeal to youngsters lol..... I'm 42 so I don't know if I count as the "youth" or the "mid-life crisis" crowd by GM's survey standards but I will miss the front engine and manual transmission. Mom's never selling hers though, and neither will I, even though it's the 8 speed, so that's why I'll always have my manual Camaro (if they get their butts back to work now!)
Old 10-16-2019, 10:08 PM   #22
c4racer

42 is a baby for a corvette owner ! Ha

Of course I was in my 30s when I got my first one. And it was a track car.
So I’m not really the typical vette owner. My hair wasn’t even gray yet.
That ship has now sailed!
Old 10-16-2019, 10:26 PM   #23
spireland

Drives: 2017 2SS
I never understood P cars until a friend let me drive his. It's not the same as a big V8 but that flat 6 is special and I can understand why folks would want it. The handling is also very different and I can see the appeal. Price kills the brand for me, but I get it if you have the wallet.
spireland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2019, 12:53 AM   #24
protovack

Drives: 2019 2LT 2.0T M6 Riverside Blue
Porsche...good cars but they nickel and dime you for every little option, even things that come standard on more mainstream cars. Not worth it in my opinion, but I still want one. I'd take a 718 Cayman
protovack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2019, 09:08 AM   #25
closs2sx

Drives: 1970 chevelle
I rode in a friends GT3 RS and while its an amazing car and I had the chance to buy one at sticker which is unheard of I passed. I can't get over the lack of raw muscle car sound ( was brought up around big block chevelles) from the 6 cylinder, the fact that it only comes in auto and for me personally its not ugly but its not a looker either. It is amazing what the GT3 RS can do with 6 cylinders and it does handle better than my zl1 1le but that's what makes the zl1 1le a fun car to drive and it sounds awesome. Unless they put a manual in the C8 it will not be on my have to buy list.
Daytona Sunrise Orange Metallic
Dads Car
2013 ZL1 vin 963
Crystal Red Tint Coat/Black Wheels
Exposed Carbon Fiber Insert
6 Spd Manual
closs2sx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2019, 09:14 AM   #26
ctrlz

Drives: 2017 2SS, 50th pkg, M6, MRC, NPP
Quote:
Originally Posted by Artryan View Post
Usually magazines jerk off to all European sports cars...
I haven't seen the issue, but car review magazines are typically shameless in their adoration of their biggest advertisers. Read a "shootout of the best sport sedans" issue, note BMW wins by whatever margin, then flip through and count the BMW ads. Big fun!

911 has always been the "upside-down bathtub," which is a big part of its efficient handling. The look has obviously grown on legions of fans.
ctrlz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2019, 10:46 AM   #27
Petrol Head
Account Suspended

Quote:
Originally Posted by closs2sx View Post
Unless they put a manual in the C8 it will not be on my have to buy list.

They're not. In fact, from what I read a couple days ago the manual transmission in the Corvette is effectively done forever. The interview was with someone at GM (I don't remember the name) but GM had actually tried to spec out a stickshift for it to the usual suppliers - Tremec, ZF. They wouldn't even take the order because it would be too small of a production run for them to even make them.
Old 10-17-2019, 11:14 AM   #28
ST1LE

Drives: E92 BMW M3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Petrol Head View Post
They're not. In fact, from what I read a couple days ago the manual transmission in the Corvette is effectively done forever. The interview was with someone at GM (I don't remember the name) but GM had actually tried to spec out a stickshift for it to the usual suppliers - Tremec, ZF. They wouldn't even take the order because it would be too small of a production run for them to even make them.
That is too bad. I guess I will never be a Corvette owner like I once hoped.

At least Porsche still offers a manual HAHAHA.