Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > CAMARO6.com General Forums > ZL1 Discussions

BeckyD @ James Martin Chevy

Old 10-15-2019, 04:47 PM   #15
Pantherzl1

Drives: 2019 Camaro zl1
Well if you click on my channel I have 4 videos that are longer against the redeye! And one against a regular hellcat!
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlaqWhole View Post
For the record I was talking about the standard Hellcat. Not the Redeye. The Redeye is without a doubt faster than the ZL1.

Furthermore I'll repeat that the video is not long or clear enough to make a solid statement that the ZL1 will beat the RE "in every way". All we see is them both launching and then the video cuts right as it seems that the RE is going to take over. In fact I'm starting to wonder if that was just a troll video in the first place. In any case, the ZL1 with A10 and that little 1.7 liter blower will be in boost and hit full boost faster than the RE will. Which is why it should get the initial jump. But once the HC or RE gets into full song it is over. At least that is what I have seen from racing both of my cars. My Hellcat is a M6 trans tho.
Pantherzl1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2019, 04:49 PM   #16
Pantherzl1

Drives: 2019 Camaro zl1
https://youtu.be/iPmXF5dORMY
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pantherzl1 View Post
Well if you click on my channel I have 4 videos that are longer against the redeye! And one against a regular hellcat!
Pantherzl1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2019, 05:09 PM   #17
Joe Remi

Drives: '17 Impala V6 LT
Quote:
Originally Posted by minn19 View Post
Agreed, hence my post as to why some cross shop these cars. After they do some quick research they should have a pretty good idea as to which they will like better. But, some just want the biggest baddest HP car from the factory they can find to, which is just fine/their money.
They're not going to get those answers without cross-shopping. They're both American pony cars at the high end of their respective HP and price ranges, that's why they're cross-shopped.
Joe Remi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2019, 05:58 PM   #18
BlaqWhole
Account Suspended

Drives: 2017 Camaro ZL1 A10
Quote:
Quote:
I don't go on channels because there is too much click bait out there from people who just want views. In this particular video it happens just like I said. You got the jump but he immediately reeled you in. On a long enough road I have no doubt that a Redeye or Hellcat will be faster. They have a higher top speed and make much more power to the wheels. But on a short burst you should get the jump.
BlaqWhole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2019, 06:18 PM   #19
L78toLT1

Drives: Hyper Blue 2016 2SS 6M
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlaqWhole View Post
I don't go on channels because there is too much click bait out there from people who just want views. In this particular video it happens just like I said. You got the jump but he immediately reeled you in. On a long enough road I have no doubt that a Redeye or Hellcat will be faster. They have a higher top speed and make much more power to the wheels. But on a short burst you should get the jump.
Hellcat/Redeye have a higher top speed than a ZL1? I'm not doubting, I just wouldn't expect it. I figured the ZL1's apparent aero advantage would give it the edge
2016 Hyper Blue 2SS/6m/MRC/NPP/Silver Rally stripes/ZL1 wheels & brakes/GForce DS and axles/ZLE Cradle Bushings/FE4 ARB front & rear/SEMA Grill/Rotofab dry/95mm TB/Magnuson 2300/Full LT4 fuel system/JMS boost-a-pump/E85 Sensor/Ported CID heads from LME/Cammotion PD cam/Thompson Motorsports forged shortblock/catted Kooks 1 7/8 headers /JRE remote tuned
L78toLT1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2019, 06:21 PM   #20
Paulie-G

Drives: 2SS 1LE & ZR2
I wouldn't base my choice of car strictly on how it stacks up against the competition. If, in a couple years it gets killed by a newer, faster design, are you automatically bummed out by your older, slower ride?
I like my stuff because it grabbed me in some way the competition didn't all by itself.
When I rode dirt bikes competitively, a three year old bike was not even competitive any more.

But what do I know. I don't even own a Camaro. Yet.
Paulie-G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2019, 07:21 PM   #21
CW3SF

Drives: 2019 Chevy Camaro ZL1 M6
Quote:
Originally Posted by Paulie-G View Post
I wouldn't base my choice of car strictly on how it stacks up against the competition.....
This, absolutely.

There are ALWAYS many cars on the road that can and will put a beat down on you no matter what you drive.
CW3SF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2019, 07:30 PM   #22
Alain

Drives: 2016 Challenger Hellcat, 2018 ZL1LE
Like a few others on this board, I have a ZLE and a 2016 manual Hellcat challenger.

I've never raced them against each other so I couldn't tell you with 100% certainty who would beat who.

But i'll tell you this, these two cars are very different driving experiences. The ZLE is a top of the line sports car and the Hellcat is a big/bruising muscle car.

The hellcat feels like a monster.......fast and powerful, the ZLE doesn't feel like the monster it is. ZLE is agile and quick without any drama or mechanical trashing........... it almost feels like an electric drivetrain. Which is what makes it the track weapon it is. If it had all the mechanical trashing the hellcat has it would not be good on a road course.

The hellcat's mechanical trashing and sound makes it a ton of fun to drive.

that's the best way I can compare these two cars.

You can own both of these cars without the fear of any redundancy in the driving experience.

They are both great at what they do, sometimes I feel like they shouldn't be compared to one another. Very different cars.

2018 ZL1 1LE/Red hot

2019 Shellby GT 350R/ Oxford white/ Matte Black Stripes/ Carbon Fiber Dash/ Electronics Package #413

Last edited by Alain; 10-15-2019 at 07:41 PM.
Alain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2019, 08:19 PM   #23
BlaqWhole
Account Suspended

Drives: 2017 Camaro ZL1 A10
Quote:
Originally Posted by L78toLT1 View Post
Hellcat/Redeye have a higher top speed than a ZL1? I'm not doubting, I just wouldn't expect it. I figured the ZL1's apparent aero advantage would give it the edge
One would be led to assume that. But no. The ZL1, despite aero and less weight, has a lower top speed. Both officially thru testing and unofficially.

Official testing requires a test vehicle to be ran to it's top speed on a suitable track that is long enough. Then it has to be driven in the opposite direction to the top speed. The average between those speeds is the official top speed. The ZL1 when tested went 202 MPH in one direction and then 194 MPH the opposite direction for an official top speed of 198 MPH. I forget what the Hellcat's official top speed was but it was higher than the ZL1...it went 205 MPH in one direction. I think it went 199 MPH in the opposite direction and the official top speed is 202 or something. So yea it is faster.

One thing between both cars is that while they both are underrated from the factory, the Hellcats were grossly underrated. Some of them have been known to hit 680+ RWHP bone stock. On average they typically are in the 650+ RWHP range. In fact the Redeyes when tested bone stock did not make much more HP than Hellcats from what I remember reading. So while Hellcats are rated at "707" HP I would guess they really are around 760-775 HP at the engine. Fact is that they are underrated enough to offset the weight disadvantage and then some. They typically can match the Z06 on top end and even then they will start to pull away above 120+ MPH. Those things are no joke. And a simple pulley swap will put them at 750+ RWHP.
BlaqWhole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2019, 08:57 PM   #24
leomio85

Drives: 2005 Pontiac GTO
Ummm ... thought this was just a troll thread in response to another troll thread:

https://www.camaro6.com/forums/showthread.php?t=563447
leomio85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2019, 09:04 PM   #25
minn19

Drives: 22 ZL1, 20 Taco, 20 Cayenne S
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe Remi View Post
They're not going to get those answers without cross-shopping. They're both American pony cars at the high end of their respective HP and price ranges, that's why they're cross-shopped.
5-10 minutes of research on the internet will tell a prospective buyer who cares about the differences that these are two (maybe three/four) very different cars for different purposes.

As I said some don’t care and just want the latest high HP king stoplight/roll racer so they can be the star of their own Geico commercial.
minn19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2019, 10:47 PM   #26
Joe Remi

Quote:
Originally Posted by minn19 View Post
5-10 minutes of research on the internet will tell a prospective buyer who cares about the differences that these are two (maybe three/four) very different cars for different purposes.

As I said some don’t care and just want the latest high HP king stoplight/roll racer so they can be the star of their own Geico commercial.
Some can afford to make that decision.
Old 10-16-2019, 05:47 AM   #27
minn19

Drives: 22 ZL1, 20 Taco, 20 Cayenne S
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe Remi View Post
Some can afford to make that decision.
Not really sure where you are going here. Even though the magazines etc love to say these are performance bargains for the money they are obviously not cheap machines. I still don’t see how this is relevant in the cross shopping conversation as the base ZL1 and Hellcats are roughly similar in price. As are the higher end models of each brand. It sounds like the Redeye gets more expensive than a ZLE, but if you can afford a 70k car most likely said buyer can afford a 80k plus one as well.
minn19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2019, 09:07 AM   #28
Joe Remi

Where I'm going here is people cross-shop these two cars because they're in the same category: high-end American 2-door V8 musclecars. It's the answer to your statement that you don't understand why they're cross-shopped.