Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > CAMARO6.com General Forums > 2016+ Camaro: 6th Gen Camaro general forum

BeckyD @ James Martin Chevy

Old 10-16-2019, 03:50 PM   #1
overdriv

Drives: 1969 Chevelle SS 2019 2SS Camaro
My thoughts on my 2019 2SS

I just returned from a 2240 mile trip with my 2SS 2019 camaro. We went down to the Gulf to Cruise The Coast, and then on to the Pensacola area to visit old Navy buddies.

I have to tell you that car is a pleasure to travel in. I'm 6'2" and weigh 315lbs, and 69 years old. Yeah a little hard to get in and out, but not that big of deal.

The seat and driving position is comfortable, I can drive 2-3 hours between stops with no problems. Between my wife and I that's about as long as we can take it without a restroom break.

The ride is very good in Tour mode, which is where I left it during most of the trip, handling is amazing, power of the engine is very manageable as long as you pay attention to where you have the car pointed.

With the back of the rear seat laid down, we had ample room for all our luggage and what we picked up along the way.

I love this car, more fun to drive than any car I've ever owned, including my 69 SS396 Chevelle 4-spd.

My only dislike is at low speeds in traffic it is to busy shifting and switching between V4/V8 modes, which I think should be inhibited below maybe 40 MPH, It couldn't hurt the MPG that much.

MPG, 25.6 average for the entire trip, low of 24.2 and a high of 28.6. Not to bad for a car that is so capable.

The camera mirror is great, once I got use to it, I used it in that camera mode all the time.

If you adjust your outside mirrors correctly and use the camara mirror, it seems to virtually eliminate the dreaded Camaro blind spot.

If it's raining, eventually it will get water on the lense and you have to switch back to normal mirror. At night it is not as good as the regular mirror in my experience. The head lights of the cars behind you seem to glare worse.

It cruises at 80MPH on the super-slabs effortlessly. And if you need it, it's got lots more. It's a hoot!

Last edited by overdriv; 10-16-2019 at 04:20 PM. Reason: To finish the post.
overdriv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2019, 06:02 PM   #2
caSStro18

Drives: 2018 Camaro SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by overdriv View Post
I just returned from a 2240 mile trip with my 2SS 2019 camaro. We went down to the Gulf to Cruise The Coast, and then on to the Pensacola area to visit old Navy buddies.

I have to tell you that car is a pleasure to travel in. I'm 6'2" and weigh 315lbs, and 69 years old. Yeah a little hard to get in and out, but not that big of deal.

The seat and driving position is comfortable, I can drive 2-3 hours between stops with no problems. Between my wife and I that's about as long as we can take it without a restroom break.

The ride is very good in Tour mode, which is where I left it during most of the trip, handling is amazing, power of the engine is very manageable as long as you pay attention to where you have the car pointed.

With the back of the rear seat laid down, we had ample room for all our luggage and what we picked up along the way.

I love this car, more fun to drive than any car I've ever owned, including my 69 SS396 Chevelle 4-spd.

My only dislike is at low speeds in traffic it is to busy shifting and switching between V4/V8 modes, which I think should be inhibited below maybe 40 MPH, It couldn't hurt the MPG that much.

MPG, 25.6 average for the entire trip, low of 24.2 and a high of 28.6. Not to bad for a car that is so capable.

The camera mirror is great, once I got use to it, I used it in that camera mode all the time.

If you adjust your outside mirrors correctly and use the camara mirror, it seems to virtually eliminate the dreaded Camaro blind spot.

If it's raining, eventually it will get water on the lense and you have to switch back to normal mirror. At night it is not as good as the regular mirror in my experience. The head lights of the cars behind you seem to glare worse.

It cruises at 80MPH on the super-slabs effortlessly. And if you need it, it's got lots more. It's a hoot!
Get an AFM disabler and you will no longer need to worry about the 4 to 8 switching thing. It drove me crazy so I got a Range Technologies AFM Disabler. Always in V8 now and makes all the difference in the world! Of course on long trips like you had it would probably be somewhat beneficial on MPG’s. But, around town I see no change in fuel economy.
caSStro18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2019, 10:48 AM   #3
overdriv

Drives: 1969 Chevelle SS 2019 2SS Camaro
Quote:
Originally Posted by cbr1100xx View Post
I echo the same experience you had on my 1100 mile trip to Northern, CA in August. Car was a great traveling partner. Unlike you though I didn't notice anything regarding V4/V8 modes. I can never tell when it changes modes.
I could barely tell when it changes modes at highway speeds, it's low speed changes during transmission shifts that are annoying.

It's not something that would cause me to not buy this car, just something the OEM could fix with a tuning change. If I weren't concerned with keeping my warranty, I get HPTuners and change it.

As far as the range device, it's just not worth the money to me. I'm sure it works wonderfully.
overdriv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2019, 11:16 AM   #4
caSStro18

Quote:
I could barely tell when it changes modes at highway speeds, it's low speed changes during transmission shifts that are annoying.

It's not something that would cause me to not buy this car, just something the OEM could fix with a tuning change. If I weren't concerned with keeping my warranty, I get HPTuners and change it.

As far as the range device, it's just not worth the money to me. I'm sure it works wonderfully.
It was money well spent in my opinion. But I agree that the factory should tune it so that it only drops to 4 cylinders at speeds above 45-50 mph. After all, it's only on the freeway that the AFM would really be effective, not around town!

And...Cue the "You should have gotten the M6" folks!
Old 10-17-2019, 11:37 AM   #5
caSStro18

Quote:
Originally Posted by cbr1100xx View Post
Weird. I literally have never noticed it at any speed.
When you are just cruising at around 25-30 mph and the AFM has the car in V4, and you give it a little gas (not much) just enough to get it back into V8, there is a slight hesitation and it almost feels like the transmission shifted gears. However, it's just the car kicking back into V8. It also makes a little "air fart" sound as it switches. hard to explain, but once you notice it, you'll notice it all the time.
Old 10-17-2019, 11:43 AM   #6
GM-ACE
Old school tech

Drives: Ruby 1LE - 2024 2SS 1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by caSStro18 View Post
It was money well spent in my opinion. But I agree that the factory should tune it so that it only drops to 4 cylinders at speeds above 45-50 mph. After all, it's only on the freeway that the AFM would really be effective, not around town!

And...Cue the "You should have gotten the M6" folks!
I wouldn't go that far, but based on my severe dislike of the AFM in both my 2010 & 2013 5th gens, I decided to go with the M6 on my 2019. Good and bad with both setups, but I'll be getting rid of the Skip shift soon, that REALLY sucks. Scenario: In traffic at a stop, start moving - going uphill, going less than 20mph and this skip crap makes me go to 4th and LUG the s**t out of the motor till it almost stalls, not good GM!
There are ways around it, and I had no intention of doing any mods besides cosmetic, but this skip shift has got to go.
Ordered: 6/15/23 Accepted: 7/5/23
3000 - 7/5 ---> 3100 - 7/19
3300 - 7/20 --> 3400 - 7/20 -->TPW - 8/7
4300 - 8/14 --->4B00 - 9/5
DELIVERED 9/20!!
GM-ACE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2019, 11:49 AM   #7
cgdelena

Drives: 2019 2SS
I am very happy with my 2SS A10 convertible using it for 50/50 city/hiway. Not as nimble as the sport cars I had been driving previously but the power and comfort make up for it.

I like the camera mirror and use anytime there is no glare (top down) but rain water does make it less clear. I have watched for the V4/8 switch and truthfully not noticed any sound/feel so I think it is a good feature. Mileage varies from 16 to 25 with my driving so it is good.

I am happy with my purchase and have no complaints.
cgdelena is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2019, 11:50 AM   #8
caSStro18

Quote:
Originally Posted by GM-ACE View Post
I wouldn't go that far, but based on my severe dislike of the AFM in both my 2010 & 2013 5th gens, I decided to go with the M6 on my 2019. Good and bad with both setups, but I'll be getting rid of the Skip shift soon, that REALLY sucks. Scenario: In traffic at a stop, start moving - going uphill, going less than 20mph and this skip crap makes me go to 4th and LUG the s**t out of the motor till it almost stalls, not good GM!
There are ways around it, and I had no intention of doing any mods besides cosmetic, but this skip shift has got to go.
I was kidding. It seems anytime someone brings up AFM the manual tranny peeps start chiming in. But, yeah...What's the deal with having to skip gears? Who's novel idea was that? It must be GM's way of satisfying some government regulations on fuel economy.
Old 10-17-2019, 11:51 AM   #9
RobbyBeefcake87

Drives: 2018 Camaro SS 1LE
I really dislike skipshift.
2018 Camaro SS 1LE - GM cai, black bowties, suede knee bolsters, 1le plate frame, black fuel door, dark tails + 3rd brake light, euro side markers + led's, GM all weather floor mats, velossatech big mouth, GM strut brace.
2017 Corvette Grandsport (sold) - untouched.
2006 GTO (sold) - iat relocation, air box mod, monero side marker lights.
RobbyBeefcake87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2019, 11:59 AM   #10
Mighty Mouce
Banned

Drives: Camaro
Its the easiest and quickest car I have ever owned. Mine is a stick though so I don't have the annoying 4 banger mode.
Mighty Mouce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2019, 11:04 PM   #11
18LTLoveIt

Drives: 2018 Hyper Blue LT RS
I really enjoyed my 2013 and 2018 Camaros. The 2013 was more comfy and easier to get in & out of. What a diff the 2016 reductions in height & width made. When I was in a slightly tight parking space was difficult to get feet out with open door 1/2 way.

One of the reasons I dumped my 2018, although I loved the style.

My 2019 Impala V6 is super comfy & way easier to get in & out of. The acoustic glass and triple sealed door makes a quiet ride so I don't have to blast music.
18LTLoveIt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2019, 01:36 AM   #12
Joe Remi

Drives: '17 Impala V6 LT
Quote:
Originally Posted by 18LTLoveIt View Post
I really enjoyed my 2013 and 2018 Camaros. The 2013 was more comfy and easier to get in & out of. What a diff the 2016 reductions in height & width made. When I was in a slightly tight parking space was difficult to get feet out with open door 1/2 way.

One of the reasons I dumped my 2018, although I loved the style.

My 2019 Impala V6 is super comfy & way easier to get in & out of. The acoustic glass and triple sealed door makes a quiet ride so I don't have to blast music.
Dude, that's funny. I was looking into getting a '19 1SS, but after a test drive I couldn't talk myself into trading my '17 V6 Impala for it. I kinda forgot how great - and really pretty quick - the car I already own is! But I still want a Camaro...
Joe Remi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2019, 07:13 AM   #13
Silverado57

Drives: 2017 Camaro SS
Quote:
I just returned from a 2240 mile trip with my 2SS 2019 camaro. ...

Our experience with the 2SS on road trips is almost identical to yours. We've done two 1,300+ mile road trips and love the car. Of course, it's most fun when you can get off the interstate and take winding mountain roads.
On both trips the Camaro averaged about 27 MPG and got almost 30 MPG on the interstate. It moves fast when you want it to and holds twisty roads like it's on rails.
Old 10-18-2019, 07:21 AM   #14
Silverado57

Drives: 2017 Camaro SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by 18LTLoveIt View Post

This year my wife got a 2018 Buick LaCrosse V6. The day we picked it up she took the Buick and I drove the Camaro - over US 421 The Snake in Tennessee. The LaCrosse stayed pretty close on the winding mountain road, and my wife ain't no race car driver. The LaCrosse (similar) to the Impala is a big comfortable car with surprising power and handling.