Homepage Garage Wiki Register Social Groups Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > CAMARO6.com General Forums > 6th gen Camaro vs...

BeckyD @ James Martin Chevy

Old 10-17-2019, 06:22 AM   #3991
newmoon

Drives: 2019 GT350
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlaqWhole View Post
And just remember this is a $65K car we're talking about. Ok the one in the test as optioned was probably more. But the only thing needed is the Z51 package which brings it to $65K. So you're getting this kind of performance for such a small price.

Meanwhile over in Ford...$65K for a GT350 non-R...
Yes you sure are and out of the two I'll take the GT350, thank you.
2012 SRT Challenger 392 auto 12:40s 112 stock
2012 Ford Mustang 5.0. Brembo, 3:73s
2010 SS, LS3, Cammed, LTs, 12:20s
2004 Redfire Cobra, Pullied & Tuned
1986 GT, Ed Curtis 347ci, 11:20s motor. 10:30s 100-hp shot
newmoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2019, 08:01 AM   #3992
TheRealJA105

Drives: 2013 C6Z06
Quote:
Originally Posted by newmoon View Post
Ford nut hugging to the extreme ... but we all know that already
TheRealJA105 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2019, 08:17 AM   #3993
shaffe

Drives: 21 Bronco
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChefBorOzzy View Post
They literally said "few bugs" and "the bugs we saw were typical of prototypes" . Where did you get the ton part?
You're right ton might have been harsh. Besides the preproduction bugs they also mentioned the transmission tuning not being as good as it should be that they hoped is worked out by the time production rolls around
it has more power...its available power is like a set kof double Ds (no matter where your face is... theyre everywhere) it has the suspension to mame it matter...(
shaffe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2019, 09:21 AM   #3994
BlaqWhole
Account Suspended

Drives: 2017 Camaro ZL1 A10
So I saw the C8 yesterday and man that thing looks better in person than I expected it to. GM did an amazing job on this car. The one I saw was a 2LT Z51. I'll post pics later.

Quote:
Originally Posted by shaffe View Post
Hey blaq, and its way early to ask this as we only have 1 lap time. You were pretty sure a few pages ago that the C8 Z51 would be able to put up better lap times than the ZLE. Are you a little disappointed?
If anything I am impressed. The first outing of the car produced an 11.1 quarter mile which is phenomenal. After a few more tests we will really start to see this car shine. Plus remember that it isn't even broken in yet. I think we have yet to see what it can really do.
Quote:
Originally Posted by newmoon View Post
Sure you would.
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheRealJA105 View Post
He enjoys coming in last place.
BlaqWhole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2019, 09:27 AM   #3995
shaffe

Quote:
So I saw the C8 yesterday and man that thing looks better in person than I expected it to. GM did an amazing job on this car. The one I saw was a 2LT Z51. I'll post pics later.

If anything I am impressed. The first outing of the car produced an 11.1 quarter mile which is phenomenal. After a few more tests we will really start to see this car shine. Plus remember that it isn't even broken in yet. I think we have yet to see what it can really do.

Sure you would.

He enjoys coming in last place.
Agree the straightline speed is insane! I am beyond impressed with that aspect.

I can't wait to see one in person. I'll probably have to wait till they hit showrooms or the Chicago Auto Show
it has more power...its available power is like a set kof double Ds (no matter where your face is... theyre everywhere) it has the suspension to mame it matter...(
Old 10-17-2019, 11:43 AM   #3996
RobbyBeefcake87

Drives: 2018 Camaro SS 1LE
Choices

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheRealJA105 View Post
While you are 100% correct in this case, I can see why someone would buy a zl1 and maybe a gt350 instead depending on needs and preferences (manual trans, 4 seats, styling). If you're after performance per dollar and chose a gt350 you're either a nuthugger and or plain dumb.
2018 Camaro SS 1LE - GM cai, black bowties, suede knee bolsters, 1le plate frame, black fuel door, dark tails + 3rd brake light, euro side markers + led's, GM all weather floor mats, velossatech big mouth, GM strut brace.
2017 Corvette Grandsport (sold) - untouched.
2006 GTO (sold) - iat relocation, air box mod, monero side marker lights.
RobbyBeefcake87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2019, 12:18 PM   #3997
Idaho2018GTPremium

Drives: 2021 Camaro ZL1 A10
Quote:
Originally Posted by RobbyBeefcake87 View Post
While you are 100% correct in this case, I can see why someone would buy a zl1 and maybe a gt350 instead depending on needs and preferences (manual trans, 4 seats, styling). If you're after performance per dollar and chose a gt350 you're either a nuthugger and or plain dumb.
That's why Corvettes are seen as "old guy" cars. It has nothing to do with the styling. It's because dudes in their 20s (i.e., before kids) generally can't afford a Corvette, and by the time they are in their mid-late 30s and established in a good career with a good salary and can actually afford one (like me), they have kids and need back seats (hence the pony car). I had all 3 of my kids in my car over the weekend, and do this regularly. I won't have room for a 2-seater as my daily driver until my kids are grown and out of the house. By the time that happens (my kids are all in elementary school) the C8 will be old and Chevy will be either near the end of C9 or perhaps early C10.

Past:
2018 Mustang GT Premium w/ PP1, MR, and A10
2007 MazdaSpeed3
1995 Pontiac Trans Am
1987 Camaro Z28

Idaho2018GTPremium is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2019, 02:53 PM   #3998
BlaqWhole
Account Suspended

Quote:
Originally Posted by Idaho2018GTPremium View Post
That's why Corvettes are seen as "old guy" cars. It has nothing to do with the styling. It's because dudes in their 20s (i.e., before kids) generally can't afford a Corvette, and by the time they are in their mid-late 30s and established in a good career with a good salary and can actually afford one (like me), they have kids and need back seats (hence the pony car). I had all 3 of my kids in my car over the weekend, and do this regularly. I won't have room for a 2-seater as my daily driver until my kids are grown and out of the house. By the time that happens (my kids are all in elementary school) the C8 will be old and Chevy will be either near the end of C9 or perhaps early C10.
You make it sound like the Mustang is as roomy as a Crown Vic or something. People with kids typically aren't buying any of these cars. Especially if they have more than one kid. They're mainly driving SUVs and minivans.
Old 10-17-2019, 03:07 PM   #3999
BlaqWhole
Account Suspended

Quote:
That is super impressive. Even more impressive to me because some of the other reviews from R&T and C&D didn't seem super impressed compared to the C7 Z51

This ^ And while it might not show up in the measurables it looks like it translates better on the track. Initially, I was expecting it to be put up better stats than the C7 in everyway but it didn't. Luckily the track results showed the difference is more than just stats.

Agree ^ That's trying to cherry pick trims to better suit your argument based on dollar value alone. The C8 Z51 is a freaking missile.

That is hard to say. I don't know if disappointed would be the right word. Straight line acceleration if anyone says they are not impressed I don't believe them. The braking thing shocks me a little bit, and some of the other things reviews have picked up do shock me a bit. But like you said, and I said earlier it might not show up in the stat sheet- but it showed up in the track where it matters.

Hey blaq, and its way early to ask this as we only have 1 lap time. You were pretty sure a few pages ago that the C8 Z51 would be able to put up better lap times than the ZLE. Are you a little disappointed?

I wouldn't say it's disappointed I would say maybe not lived up to the hype unfair or not.

From Road & Track - first words in their review - they were definitely the harshest out of all the reviews

"Let’s get one thing out of the way: the 2020 Chevrolet Corvette is good. It’s not, however, great."

Maybe because GM has set the bar so high recently that the C8 just had a level of hype to it that would have been hard to actually hit.

This harsh judgment comes not from a cynical reaction to the buzz surrounding the Corvette, but instead as a function of GM’s past performance. Like that unfair high-school teacher who rounds down your grade because he thinks you can do better, we’re reducing the C8’s verdict from “great” to merely “good.”

From Car & Driver

"After all that poking and prodding, we have concluded that the new C8 is spectacular, amazing, and supremely capable. Maybe even revolutionary. And we've also come to the realization that, despite its long list of compelling attributes, it's still not quite everything we had hoped it would be. "

Me personally, I am blown away by the straight line speed. I am kind of in shock at how fast it is. and at the same time I am kind of shocked that it's braking and other metrics aren't better than the C7 Z51 - especially after one of the engineers said it would be better than the C7 Z06 in most ways. Also it's only 1 lap time, so we will need to wait and see but I thought it would be a bit faster than a second faster than the C7-Z51. Again this is probably mostly due to the hype that came with the car. The comments from engineers, the comments here, the fact that GM has gone so far performance wise from generation to generation that maybe I expected more.

And absolutely none of that would stop me from buying one though lol. If I was in the market and could spend around 70K on a toy the C8 would be it with 0 questions asked. The C8 is a huge win in my book. I might have set my expectations high or fell in the hype train but the car to me is still a total game changer and a total win.

Yep.
One thing I want to address. I do think the comments are a bit unreasonably harsh. Or that they unfairly criticized the C8. They shoved all the spectacular things aside and nailed it for 2 things that had no impact on how well it performs. Looking at the car and stats as a whole, there is nothing to be disappointed over or to even criticize it about.

They straight up contradict themselves. First they claim that their harsh judgement doesn't come from overhyping the car. Then they say it isn't everything they hoped it would be. Which downright means that they overhyped it. Because they had expectations and the car didn't live up to their expectations even tho it shatters the performance of the outgoing Z51. So to me they expected it to do better than reasonably expected for a $65K vehicle. The wording of the criticisms also seem to be a bit forced. Like they were TRYING to find fault with it about something/anything. Or trying to act like they found fault with it.

I highly doubt many people, if any at all, will take these criticisms seriously. Except for those who were looking for a reason to not buy one or those who might be more loyal to other brands. Most people I think will see what it does at the price it comes in at and are still going to buy it and enjoy it.
Old 10-17-2019, 03:09 PM   #4000
shaffe

Quote:
You make it sound like the Mustang is as roomy as a Crown Vic or something. People with kids typically aren't buying any of these cars. Especially if they have more than one kid. They're mainly driving SUVs and minivans.
I think his point was more along the lines that a Corvette is typically a third car for people or empty nesters because by the time those things happen kids are grown up moved out or that's when they can afford to have a car that's purely a toy.

Come to think of it, that's just about every Corvette owner I know save for the guy on on my softball team lol

Quote:
One thing I want to address. I do think the comments are a bit unreasonably harsh. Or that they unfairly criticized the C8. They shoved all the spectacular things aside and nailed it for 2 things that had no impact on how well it performs. Looking at the car and stats as a whole, there is nothing to be disappointed over or to even criticize it about.

They straight up contradict themselves. First they claim that their harsh judgement doesn't come from overhyping the car. Then they say it isn't everything they hoped it would be. Which downright means that they overhyped it. Because they had expectations and the car didn't live up to their expectations even tho it shatters the performance of the outgoing Z51. So to me they expected it to do better than reasonably expected for a $65K vehicle. The wording of the criticisms also seem to be a bit forced. Like they were TRYING to find fault with it about something/anything. Or trying to act like they found fault with it.

I highly doubt many people, if any at all, will take these criticisms seriously. Except for those who were looking for a reason to not buy one or those who might be more loyal to other brands. Most people I think will see what it does at the price it comes in at and are still going to buy it and enjoy it.
I think that's a fair assessment. I had this conversation with Martin in another thread. The MT review was glowing, C&D was balanced they loved it, but did point out some things they expected to be better (mostly due to previous GM magic generation to generation) and then R&T was the most negative. After having some time to digest it, I think it's more of unfair hype levels than actual disappointment.

The only thing I am kind of let down with and that's my own fault for falling into the hype is the lap time lol. I basically had projections in my head of what it would do and they are flipped lol. It's way faster in a straightline than I ever thought it would be and not as fast around a road course as I thought it would be. The car is still amazing though

Like I said in the post you quoted, if I am spending that kind of money on a car its going to the C8 no questions asked. I wouldn't even look at a Camaro/Mustang/Challenger in that price range the C8 would get my money
Old 10-17-2019, 03:58 PM   #4001
NW-99SS

Drives: 1999 Camaro SS M6 - SBE LS1
Meh, I bought my first Corvette at 32 and still have it 7 years later. Welcomed our first child in Feb. and have no plans to sell it. She can ride in the Camaro until she is old enough to fit in the 5 point harnesses the GS has.
2017 Yukon Denali 6.2
NW-99SS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2019, 04:31 PM   #4002
Idaho2018GTPremium

Drives: 2021 Camaro ZL1 A10
Quote:
Ha, you got that from my post? Obviously, it is not as roomy. My point was that when needed or desired, I can fit all 3 of my kids in the car (it's definitely not roomy in the back). They're elementary aged so they still fit OK (for now). Personally, I have to have a performance vehicle; performance oriented vehicles are all I've ever owned. I could not drive around day to day in a bland crossover or boring 4-door sedan (probably a common sentiment among many of us here). Since I have kids, a car with only 2 seats is out of the question. So, 2+2 it is. My wife drives the SUV (current gen Volvo XC90 T6 AWD).

I briefly considered the Charger Hellcat before I bought the Mustang, but decided I didn't want a Chrysler product.

Past:
2018 Mustang GT Premium w/ PP1, MR, and A10
2007 MazdaSpeed3
1995 Pontiac Trans Am
1987 Camaro Z28

Idaho2018GTPremium is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2019, 05:36 PM   #4003
BlaqWhole
Account Suspended

Quote:
I can't wait to see one in person. I'll probably have to wait till they hit showrooms or the Chicago Auto Show
Let me know if you're definitely going. Maybe I'll fly out there and join you. And maybe a beer or two afterwards. Shit, after all the grief I give you, that's the least I can do, lol!!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Idaho2018GTPremium View Post
Ha, you got that from my post? Obviously, it is not as roomy. My point was that when needed or desired, I can fit all 3 of my kids in the car (it's definitely not roomy in the back). They're elementary aged so they still fit OK (for now). Personally, I have to have a performance vehicle; performance oriented vehicles are all I've ever owned. I could not drive around day to day in a bland crossover or boring 4-door sedan (probably a common sentiment among many of us here). Since I have kids, a car with only 2 seats is out of the question. So, 2+2 it is. My wife drives the SUV (current gen Volvo XC90 T6 AWD).

I briefly considered the Charger Hellcat before I bought the Mustang, but decided I didn't want a Chrysler product.
LOL, I was just giving you some shit. The Mustang is definitely more roomy than even the Camaro. At my height tho none of these cars are suitable for having a person in the back.
Old 10-17-2019, 10:11 PM   #4004
Martinjlm
Retired from GM

Drives: 2017 Camaro Fifty SS Convertible
I was watching Autoline After Hours this afternoon. Bob Lutz was the guest. Two very interesting moments. Bob was asked about whether the engine in the C8.R is a 5.5L DOHC with FPC. He started by saying he wasn’t really sure and that he hadn’t really followed it. Then one of the hosts said that it was and that it had been announced. Lutz said “you’re sure it’s been announced?” The host confirmed it. Then Bob switched gears. “Yes, it’s a DOHC and it’s got a flat crank. Definitely a flat crank.” Bob was still marching to the GM credo of not confirming anything until it is officially released to the public.

The other interesting moment was near the end when Frank Markus of Motor Trend said that on Monday, they will show what the REAL power output of the LT2 is and that a lot of people will be surprised. Lutz chimed in “surprised high, I’m sure”
A8 | MRC | NPP | Nav | HUD | GM Performance CAI | Tony Mamo LT1 V2 Ported TB | Kooks 1-7/8” LT Headers | FlexFuel Tune | Thinkware Q800 Pro front and rear dash cam | Charcoal Tint for Taillights and 3rd Brakelight | Orange and Carbon Fiber Bowties | 1LE Wheels in Gunmetal Gray | Carbon Fiber Interior Overlays | Novistretch bra and mirror covers | Tow hitch for bicycle rack |

Martinjlm is offline   Reply With Quote