Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Phastek Performance
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > 5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions

Old 11-23-2014, 04:33 PM   #1
SCH

Drives: 2011 Cruze ECO
Need advice: do I trade my '11 Cruze ECO for a base '14 1LS?

Hi everyone,

Been lurking around the Camaro5 forums for a while now, but I've just signed on and this is my first post.

I'm on the fence about pulling the trigger on a new 2014 Red Hot 1LS coupe (6-speed, base car). The deal would involve me trading in my 2011 Cruze Eco (6-speed manual). The Camaro would replace the Cruze as my daily driver, and living in Michigan it means icy, snowy roads; I realize snow tires will be a must and I'm ok with that. The Cruze ECO gives me great fuel economy, but as a daily run-about it's... well... a bit dull, and not a car I care to put any money into outside of regular maitenance. The Camaro is a car I like a lot and is one I could see holding onto for a long time (even in base-trim).

Ultimately, my question is to those who use their Camaros as their daily drivers: will a 1LS prove to be a suitable replacement to my current Cruze ECO as a daily driver?

I don't know why I'm still on the fence about this...I guess I just need that little nudge.

Thanks very much in advance.

Last edited by SCH; 11-23-2014 at 05:44 PM.
SCH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2014, 04:38 PM   #2
Mean Green Z28

Drives: 2010 2SS
with the snow/etc. I would keep the Cruze. it'll be much better with the fwd and snow tires

Typing fat fingered on my GS3...excuse any sfelling mitcakes
-- >> Some of my Projects My Fquick Page
Mean Green Z28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2014, 04:50 PM   #3
20131LS

Drives: '14 1LT/RS
I DD a 2014 Cruze and have driven my previous 1LS in the snow. If you are a somewhat competent driver and take your time, you'll be fine. I only had trouble on hills. Other than that, it went without a problem. You could always put snow tires on it. I didn't btw. Do what you think will make you happiest.

2013 1LS SW Hugger Orange Rally stripes
Elite catch can
Emblempros LS emblems and gill stripes: Traded 5/20/14
20131LS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2014, 05:15 PM   #4
Evergreen6

Drives: 2023 Camaro 1SS
I drive my 1LS daily, but we don't have bad winters here. The 1LS comes with the usual caveats of the 5th gen-- 2 doors, small trunk, poor visibility, and a low roof inside if you're tall like me.

That said, I do like it. I had a Jetta before and while the Jetta was more practical and got better gas mileage (33 versus 27.5), the Camaro is much more entertaining/enjoyable to drive.

I don't have kids, but the pieces about 4-door commuter car practicality that i really liked:

-The ability to throw coats, groceries, laptop bags into the back seat via a rear door.
-Tires are pretty cheap for little sedans like Cruzes and Jettas.
-Better visibility for urban driving.
-Less of a visual target for anything including vandalism, speeding tickets, etc

But a Camaro is a Camaro, and those little things fade away because it's an awesome car.

The key with the 1LS is...get it for CHEAP. Brand new I only paid about $19k for mine, sticker was whatever the base sticker was.
Evergreen6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2014, 05:37 PM   #5
bleavens1962

Drives: 2014 1LS Camaro
The 1LS is a heavier car with reasonable hp to weight ratio. As a daily driver this is a fun car. Test drive the Camaro (if you haven't already) and pay attention to the drivers side blind spot. Its a good looking fun car....NUDGE NUDGE
bleavens1962 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2014, 05:41 PM   #6
SCH

Hey guys,

Thanks for all your feedback so far, and please keep it coming.

I don't have kids either, and the Cruze is my first four-door vehicle (every other car I've owned has been a 2-door). And while I like the convenience, it's certainly not a deal breaker for me that the Camaro is a two-door.

As for trunk space, while at first glance I think anyone would say the opening of the Camaro is a bit of a joke, the actual capacity between it and a Cruze isn't much. The Cruze comes in at 15 cu.ft. while the Camaro is something like 11.2 cu.ft. A difference of 3.8 cu.ft. Either way, neither of these two vehicles are suitable for a heavy-duty Home Depot run.

I'm also not that tall, so the low roof and poor visibility aren't really an issue for me (I've taken a 1LT out for a test drive and didn't really notice the poor visibility everyone keeps talking about).

The fact that the Camaro is more entertaining a car to drive than the Jetta (which is very similar in drive and feel to a Cruze) is what has attracted me to the Camaro in the first place - it just seems like it would be a more enjoyable vehicle to own/drive.

$19K for an LS? That's cheap! Did that include any incentives or is that just your negotiated final price before any incentives/cash-back/etc…? I'm assuming that price doesn't include taxes/license/delivery/etc…?
Old 11-23-2014, 05:52 PM   #7
Unrulie

Drives: 2011 Camaro SS Cyber Grey
First off let me say I don't drive mine in the winter. But I do drive a two wheel drive pickup. With the right tires I go anywhere anytime. I do construction, so I do drive a lot.
Second as a Member of the Detroit 5th gen Camaro Club, I know several members that drive their cars all winter with the right tires and have no problems. It's a big heavy car. 3800+lbs.
Third, since your already in Detroit. Check with Becky at Rodgers Chevrolet, She'll probably give you the best deal.
So yes I would trade. Then check us out at detroit5thgen.com
Old 11-23-2014, 05:55 PM   #8
crc91

Drives: '14 1LS
Soooo here's your nudge. DO it! I have a 14 1ls basic everything. And I love it! I daily drive it , despite what a lot of people think it's easy and fun to drive. For winter I would def get some snow tires since your so far north. Or wait it out till spring and u could put off buying the tires for a while. But either way you won't regret it!

Patiently waiting for my 2023 SS 1LE
crc91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2014, 06:20 PM   #9
Jenner

Drives: 2012 SS/RS
My advice would be to save up and buy a nicer trim although there isn't anything wrong with the 1LS. I bought a 1LS cause I was too eager to wait and save up and now I wish I had.
Jenner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2014, 06:32 PM   #10
SCH

Jenner, what makes you say you wished you had saved for a higher trim level? Which trim level would you have gone with instead of the 1LS?
Old 11-23-2014, 06:42 PM   #11
tdconner

Drives: 2014 Camaro LT RS in Red Hot
Do It!

I drove my 13 2LS in upstate NY snow last year. Thing was a beast! I plan on driving my 14 LT RS this year in the snow as well. Daily Driver.

I will admit I had 4 brand new blizzaks on it for winter but still, as already mentioned on here as long as you drive reasonable you will be fine.
tdconner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2014, 06:48 PM   #12
Ace0751
GEN5 Detail

Drives: 2011 Synergy Series 2SS Convertible
Push through this winter and then whatever money you have saved for a down payment you could get a better trim possibly a 2LT but definitely a 1LT. Do what's best for you if you think you can deal with the Camaro then by all means have at it. The choice is yours. Although the gas mileage is lower and the trunk space is smaller don't let that hinder your thought process.
Ace0751 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2014, 06:58 PM   #13
SCH

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ace0751 View Post
Push through this winter and then whatever money you have saved for a down payment you could get a better trim possibly a 2LT but definitely a 1LT. Do what's best for you if you think you can deal with the Camaro then by all means have at it. The choice is yours. Although the gas mileage is lower and the trunk space is smaller don't let that hinder your thought process.
You're the second to suggest saving up and getting a higher trim level model. And while I have nothing against any of the LT variants of the car, I am not really one who is big on bells and whistles. Besides, my Cruze ECO is very similarly equipped to a 1LS, and I'm more than fine with the equipment on the Cruze, it's the overall driving experience that's lacking (particularly in the power and handling department).
Old 11-23-2014, 07:01 PM   #14
Ace0751
GEN5 Detail

Drives: 2011 Synergy Series 2SS Convertible
If you are wanting the LS model the extra cash saved can also go to mods hehe and of course winter tires when the snow starts to fly. A couple mods here and there will really ante up your driving experience.
Ace0751 is offline   Reply With Quote